ImageImage

Packers extend Barnett

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,339

Packers extend Barnett 

Post#1 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:10 pm

The Green Bay Packers Tuesday signed linebacker Nick Barnett to a long-term contract extension. Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement.

Barnett has led Green Bay in tackles three of his four seasons, posting 631 career stops. He has also recorded eight sacks, seven interceptions, six fumble recoveries and 29 passes defensed.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2007/04/10/1/
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,061

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm

Good move. It will be interesting to see if he's receptive to being moved outside now that he got his big payday.

Personally I think Hodge will be a good one but he's better suited inside.

We do have a good LB group though.
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by goirish2107 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:34 pm

it'll be interesting to see if they're still high enough on poppinga to keep him outside and therefore barnett inside. i'd like to see a lineup of hawk hodge barnett, personally
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:45 pm

I think we have 4 very good linebackers. Hodge is hungry this year. I just don't think he's fast enough to play outside.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,227

Post#5 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Barnett got his money. He now has no excuse not to move outside if it's what's best for the team.

On another note, this is Example A of going about getting your contract extension. He said all the right things these last few weeks, never asked for a trade and never threatened with a hold-out.
Reggie White
Junior
And1: 5

Post#6 » by Reggie White » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 pm

DrugBust wrote: "Barnett got his money. He now has no excuse not to move outside if it's what's best for the team."

This is a great point. When all the buzz was happening last year about Hodge potentially playing the middle, Barnett basically said ... if I move outside, I get fewer tackles, and then I'll paid paid less than this new highly paid rookie (Hawk).

Here's hoping he doesn't go Joe Johnson on us ... there ... I said it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:04 pm

I agree about Barnett. The Packers always take care of their own IF they think it's a good move. I don't see Barnett being a Joe Johnson or Antonio Freeman, he'll continue to play his butt off.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#8 » by BuckPack » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Agreed above. Now that he has his money, he would certainly be more receptive to moving to the outside than previously. He mentioned earlier that he did not want to move outside before an extension b/c he thought it would affect his pocket book. Now that's taken care of, we could see him moving there IF Hodge demonstrates that he's a better fit at MLB than Poppinga is at SLB.

Will be interesting to see if the Packers even explore this possibility. I don't think they will unless Hodge starts blowing people up in Preseason.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#9 » by eagle13 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:51 pm

BuckPack wrote:Agreed above. Now that he has his money, he would certainly be more receptive to moving to the outside than previously. He mentioned earlier that he did not want to move outside before an extension b/c he thought it would affect his pocket book. Now that's taken care of, we could see him moving there IF Hodge demonstrates that he's a better fit at MLB than Poppinga is at SLB.

Will be interesting to see if the Packers even explore this possibility. I don't think they will unless Hodge starts blowing people up in Preseason.

Totally agree. Or Popp sucks. Or injury to either Popp or Hawk.

I agree with MD - Nick will not JoeJ - he's dedicated. He'll come to play to win.

Although Joe Johnson was not an example of a player taking off after a big pay day. Johnson was always a player with heart and pride. That was more a case of a guy who just lost it physically and a stupid move by one of our worst GMs ever.
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#10 » by Neusch23 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:19 pm

does anyone have any salary numbers?

I have to say I am a bit surprised by this, however I think it will be good, IF he will keep his mouth shut about moving outside.

I like Nick, and I feel this gives us a very solid LB core.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#11 » by skones » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Good to see he's ok with being moved to the outside.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#12 » by bigkurty » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Neusch23 wrote:does anyone have any salary numbers?

I have to say I am a bit surprised by this, however I think it will be good, IF he will keep his mouth shut about moving outside.

I like Nick, and I feel this gives us a very solid LB core.

I am not surprised at all. TT had that 20 million in the bank and while we don't agree with every move he makes, he does realize that if you don't use it, you lose it. He already lost about 4 million of cap space from last year when he decided not to extend Barnett during the course of the season. If he would have done that again, Harlan would have had to slap him around at least for being completely stupid.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#13 » by eagle13 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 pm

And numbers will be fascinating to know. Might give a clue if TT has any hope or intention of still getting Moss or not. IF he really front loaded Nick then money left will be enuf for rookies and maybe extending Corey Williams and NOT enuf for Moss. If normal structure then there would be enuf left to still add Moss.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:06 pm

bigkurty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

he does realize that if you don't use it, you lose it.

I've seen others say this here and I have to ask a question...

What the hell are you talking about?

You don't 'lose' anything. You save.

Had he extended Barnett last season, all that would have meant is we would have had less room this offseason. They didn't 'lose' anything. I know people must realize this, but if they don't spend money it's not like next offseason all the teams in the NFL are back on equal playing ground in terms of cap space. Those that didn't spend are more likely to have greater cap space when free aganecy starts.

Take a look at what the Pats accomplished over the last few years. They didn't blow their load in free agency because they were good enough to dominate without overspending. By refusing to overpay, they accumulated an ass-load of cap space this season and were able to go out and get some serious impact pieces. It made sense because you could say they were only one or two key players away from another title run.

Build a contending team through the draft, don't overspend for the sake of spending money and only once the team is on the brink of seriously contending, THEN go out and get your Adalius Thomas. If you don't screw your cap space by blowing cash year after year you can afford to do so.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,781

Post#15 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Dear Barnett,

Glad to hear you got your pay day. I look forward to seeing you in G&G for a long time. Now, please, move to outside linebacker and don't make a fuss about it.

Sincerely,

Abdul Hodge Fans

Of course, this assumes that Hodge ends up being a good fit. I think and hope he can be. I was high on him before the draft and was thrilled when we took him. I would prefer Poppinga to be the fourth LB but if he's the better fit, obviously start him.
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#16 » by Neusch23 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 pm

bigkurty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I am not surprised at all. TT had that 20 million in the bank and while we don't agree with every move he makes, he does realize that if you don't use it, you lose it. He already lost about 4 million of cap space from last year when he decided not to extend Barnett during the course of the season. If he would have done that again, Harlan would have had to slap him around at least for being completely stupid.

I disagree only from the stand point that I know people that he knows, and I have heard how Nick talks about Green Bay. I really didn't think that he wanted to be here, and who would blame him for the way the city has treated him.

I think he is a solid football player, and if he makes the move to the outside he can help us win football games.....

But to say that we HAD to do this just to use some of our cap space is crazy. Thompson has shown that if he is going to spend, that he is going to get the value that he wants. He just isn't going to hand it out to anyone....

Also, Harlan doesn't have the say any more, its Jones, now, so he won't be slapping anyone.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:54 pm

6 years, 35 million. Gotta think it's heavy in the front and back.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#18 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 pm

Hodge is going to have to take a huge step forward in my eyes to warrant putting him in the middle and moving Barnett outside. The guy is as slow as molasses.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,746

Post#19 » by msiris » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:31 pm

DrugBust wrote:6 years, 35 million. Gotta think it's heavy in the front and back.
12 Million the 1st year.
Ride the tank
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#20 » by bigkurty » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:07 pm

msiris wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

12 Million the 1st year.

This is what I meant by if you don't use it, you lose it. Basically he front loads it so it can be a more attractive value later on as a possible trading piece. If we just let him go Unrestricted, he could just walk away and we don't get anything for him. The best way to become successful is by acquiring talent, not losing it. No matter what, every year he has the ability to spend the alloted cap money. If he doesn't spend it to luck up talent, this year, well that 20 million in cap space is gone forever. Basically the money can be used now so that in future years Barnett doesn't cost as much against the cap and he will seem like a steal for what we pay him per year then.

This sounds a little wordy I realize but lets just look at the possible outcomes. Now that he is signed, next year he will probably have a salary around 4 million which is low for a player of his caliber. Even if he doesn't improve but rather stays the same, his contract will become even more appealing in say 3 years when he still costs 4 million (this is assuming he makes about the same every year after) but the team has a cap of maybe 140 million. If we don't resign him this year and just lose the 20 million and he just goes unrestricted and leaves, well then next year we have to spend bigger money most likely to bring in a player as a FA close to his ability or we have to get lucky and find a gem in the draft. While technically we didn't lose the money but only delayed paying it out for a year, we would have lost the ability to have a lower cap next year where we could go out and get another high priced FA if we wanted while still having Barnett.

So basically spend it now and next year we can go sign another high priced FA and still have Barnett on our team. Or don't spend now and next year we can only have say one high priced FA be it either Barnett or someone else. This is the value of frontloading deals and spending all your cap money every year.

Return to Green Bay Packers