ImageImageImage

Houston Texans hire Bill O'Brien

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Houston Texans hire Bill O'Brien 

Post#1 » by Slava » Thu Jan 2, 2014 3:02 am

Penn State's Bill O'Brien has reached an agreement to become coach of the Houston Texans, according to league sources.

The Houston Chronicle reported Wednesday that O'Brien is en route to Houston and will sign a five-year deal and be introduced by the team Thursday.

Texans owner Bob McNair wanted a coach who had NFL and head-coaching experience.

O'Brien, 44, a protégé of Bill Belichick, was a New England Patriots assistant from 2007 to 2011. He eventually became the offensive coordinator for a team that lost to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI. He left the Patriots two years ago to take over at Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.

Despite a bowl ban and relaxed transfer rules that allowed players to leave Penn State without delay, the Nittany Lions went 15-9 under O'Brien, including 10-6 in the Big Ten. He was the conference coach of the year in 2012.

ESPN
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Houston Texans hire Bill O'Brien 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Thu Jan 2, 2014 4:03 am

I don't know a lot about this guy. I won't pretend to be one of those Radio Call-In Experts.

Right now I am going with "Change is Good." This guy jumped right into Penn State following the horrific pedophilia scandal, so we know that he is able to look at a situation without being hampered by history.

As of right now the Texans need a new identity. I want to see what this new guy thinks it should be.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:04 am

I'm actually happy they brought in someone totally out of Texas and not connected to anything that's been here before. It's a welcome clean slate.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#4 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:42 pm

I really like the hire although I don't care either way about a connection with Belichick. Personally I think Belichick is a cheater and that's why he's so successful.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#5 » by zapatasblood » Tue Jan 7, 2014 4:51 am

Only like this because this is different in so many ways and that they did not hire Lovie or even interview John Gruden. Think they did this a little fast and missed many opportunities to interview more people (playoffs teams). Also believe this has to do with McNair man crush on the Patriot Way
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
CoolbeansB
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#6 » by CoolbeansB » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks like another 7-9 season. Not so bad for a 1st year coach though.

Return to Houston Texans