ImageImage

Braun To Play During Yom Kippur

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Fandom
Junior
And1: 1

Braun To Play During Yom Kippur 

Post#1 » by Fandom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:22 pm

"I don't really celebrate the (Jewish) holidays so it won't be much of an issue with me," Braun said. "Growing up half-Jewish, half-Catholic, I've never really celebrated one holiday over the other."

Seriously, who asks these kinds of questions??? How about a question about his sensational rookie season or maybe a question about the current pennant race?
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#2 » by bigkurty » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm

Well I know its a big deal with Shawn Green every year. I am personally glad to hear he will play that day since I don't want to deal with having one of our best players be guaranteed to be sitting every year for that day with about a week to go left in the season when we are in pennant races.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,437

Re: Braun To Play During Yom Kippur 

Post#3 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Fandom wrote:
"I don't really celebrate the (Jewish) holidays so it won't be much of an issue with me," Braun said. "Growing up half-Jewish, half-Catholic, I've never really celebrated one holiday over the other."

Seriously, who asks these kinds of questions??? How about a question about his sensational rookie season or maybe a question about the current pennant race?

What exactly is your problem with the question? You know to some people religious holidays do take precedent over their occupation. Just ask Shawn Green, he's taken days off for Yom Kippur and the reporter was just wondering if Braun would too.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,293

Re: Braun To Play During Yom Kippur 

Post#4 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:01 am

Fandom wrote:

It is a very timely and relevant question considering the circumstances.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/merron_on_green.html
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,368

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:43 am

This is nothing....the Brewers used to have an outfielder Danny Thomas who because of his religion (worldwide Church of God) intepreted sundown on Friday night to sundown on Saturday night as being part of the sabbath. Thus he couldn't play during those times. And the Brewers accomodated him.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,102

Post#6 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Although Danny Thomas was a fine comedian he never played for the Brewers. I believe you are thinking of Danny Walton. :lol:
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#7 » by Nowak008 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Kinda sounds like he is embarrassed to be jewish.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Nowak008 wrote:Kinda sounds like he is embarrassed to be jewish.

I don't get that at all. He's just not a religious guy, like many other people.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#9 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Although Danny Thomas was a fine comedian he never played for the Brewers. I believe you are thinking of Danny Walton. :lol:

PP could be referring to the statutory rapist Danny Thomas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Thomas

http://www.adherents.com/people/pw/Lou_Whitaker.html
Go Bucks!
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#10 » by goirish2107 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:52 am

i got my dad to start paying attention to baseball again by getting him to follow braun (we're jewish as well). he's very disappointed that ryan's playing on yom kippur, like it was me or something. man that jewish guilt can be killer
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#11 » by Nowak008 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:38 am

MickeyDavis wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't get that at all. He's just not a religious guy, like many other people.

Yea maybe. Just seems like he went out of his way to mention that he was half catholic.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,437

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:02 am

Nowak008 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yea maybe. Just seems like he went out of his way to mention that he was half catholic.

I didn't get that at all. I think many people just assumed that he was 100% Jewish because of the Hebrew Hammer nickname. And he's just being honest, he never celebrated one religious holiday over the other so it shows that it's just not a big deal to him either way.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

I think I'll start a thread discussing the religion of each of our players, what faith they are, and just how religious they really are. Oh wait, I can't do that because I don't know any of their religions, except for Braun. Why his religion is a big deal is beyond me. And to somehow get the idea he is "embarassed" is ridiculous.
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#14 » by goirish2107 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:19 pm

I don't know how anyone could be making this into a big deal, aside from religious jews who think anyone who doesn't 'celebrate' (poor word) the high holidays isn't a good jew. i know plenty of people who are half-jewish half-catholic and they would respond the same way. its no big deal to them, they just aren't religious.
Fandom
Junior
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Fandom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:32 pm

By the way, when I made this thread, I meant no offense to Yom Kippur or the Jewish faith, so I hope no one took it that way.

To be honest, I'm extremely annoyed by the media lately (last few years). The ESPN's, the Fox Sports, etc and the Peter Kings of the world; I just thought the question was silly.

I'm not a religious person myself, so I didn't realize this was a big deal to some players. My apologies.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#16 » by fam3381 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:51 pm

I know Jonah Keri, who writes for ESPN and recently did an article on the best Jewish baseball players of all time (and included Braun in that list). Jonah is Jewish so I joke with him from time to time about how he has to root for the Brewers since Braun is also Jewish.

It's really all just in fun...I don't think there's any expectation from the Jewish community that Braun be some sort of role model for Jews, religious or otherwise. And it's not surprising that a minority group would want to play up their connection to a player when there are relatively few athletes who are at all connected to that group.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers