ImageImageImage

Official "I support the Ted Ginn pick" thread

mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Official "I support the Ted Ginn pick" thread 

Post#1 » by mopper8 » Tue May 1, 2007 2:58 am

Get on the train boys. The more I read about this guy, the more excited I get. Seriously. I've gone from outraged and confused to really really excited about this all. I wish had links for these but I nabbed them off Fin Heaven

Charlie Casserly wrote:Miami Dolphins

We all had it wrong here. Just when I got through writing Brady Quinn's name next to Miami, they took Ted Ginn Jr.! They kept this one quiet, maybe too quiet. Sometimes it is a good idea to let the fans know there are some other options when you pick, but the danger in doing that at the ninth pick, is you might tip other teams on who you are interested in. Now to Ginn. He's the second-fastest player I have ever scouted -- the fastest being Darrell Green, who was the fastest player in my 30 years in the NFL.

I remember going to Ohio State to scout Santonio Holmes -- who can run pretty fast -- and just watch Ginn run right by him. Some people feel Ginn will have trouble getting off the press and running routes. I don't believe that. He has foot quickness and the change-of-direction ability to do that. In fact, if you want to press him, good luck -- because if you miss him at the line of scrimmage, you might as well send the PAT defense on because you will not catch him. There are a couple of things that bother me about him -- his pure hands and size. As for size, there are guys like Ginn who have been great pros: Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith. Neither of these guys made a living in college going over the middle. This is a pick that is getting criticized by many, but you won't hear defensive coordinators who have to defense Ginn criticize him. He is also can impact the game as a return man.

Frank Coyle wrote:Ted Ginn - Impresses in April Sprint Workout Ginn's Yearbook Scouting Report

Submitted by frank coyle on Thu, 04/12/2007 - 11:21am. NFL Draft Prospects

NFL.com Gil Brandt reported on Ted Ginn's brief workout at Ohio. St.

He did not run at the Combine or OSU's Pro Day -- worked out on campus before representatives of most of the NFL teams. He ran his 40s in 4.38, 4.44 and 4.45 seconds. He ran no shuttles and did no jumps, and because of his sore foot, stopped running routes after doing about 20 of them. Three head coaches were there: Scott Linehan (Rams), Marvin Lewis (Bengals) and Cam Cameron (Dolphins). Also there were Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller and Rams vice president for player personnel Tony Softli.

Actual Scouting Report in Draft Insiders' Yearbook

2. * Ted Ginn #7 - 5
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Bow2Yao11 » Tue May 1, 2007 3:26 am

I'm pumped about Ginn!!! I hope his foot heals quick and he can start playing real soon!!! Ireally like the last line FUTURE PRO BOWL PERFORMER

Ginn = the most electrifying player in the NFL

:clap:
John Wall>>>>>>>>>Ricky Rubio
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,600

Post#3 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue May 1, 2007 3:42 am

I actually either wanted Quinn or Ginn in the draft so I am happy just not as happy as I would of been with Quinn. Hopefully Ginn can be a faster version of Marvin Harrison.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#4 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 4:14 am

:wave:

Count me in!
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#5 » by HIF » Tue May 1, 2007 1:56 pm

I'm happy, those scouts know more than me.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#6 » by heat4life » Tue May 1, 2007 3:12 pm

I am on the bandwagon since Miami picked Beck as our QB. Once that happened, it all made sense. I am going to be honest, I wanted Quinn over Ginn but I also felt Beck was a stud and was very surprised that he was there at 40. I thought Miami had a deal for a late 1st somewhere to either get Quinn or nab Beck. I got very upset when we went into the 2nd round, no QB's called and Miami having to wait 8 slots until their pick. Then Kolb gets drafted and BOOM..Miami gets Beck. As a combo pack, I was extremely happy over having Quinn and a lesser known receiver with more question marks than substance. I am excited to have a player like Ginn on our team. I guarantee you, we never had a player like him on our team..EVER!! I am a Canes fan and I know the excitement someone like Ginn brings everytime they are on the field; even if he doesn't touch the ball, you still have to account for his speed. And Beck, he reminds me of Drew Brees. He doesn't have the name recognition that Quinn brings, but don't doubt for a second his accomplishments with lesser help than Quinn ever had.

Move over Mop, I'll drive!!
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,549

Re: Official "I support the Ted Ginn pick" thread 

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 1, 2007 5:03 pm

mopper8 wrote:Get on the train boys. The more I read about this guy, the more excited I get. Seriously. I've gone from outraged and confused to really really excited about this all. I wish had links for these but I nabbed them off Fin Heaven

-= original quote snipped =-

If this guy doesn't hurt his foot in the bowl game, he might've been a top-5 pick and drawing Steve Smith comparisons. Seriously. The more I read, the more I like. Houston was sitting on him at 10? Linehan liked him at 13? Scouted as a better returner than Hester? 2nd fastest player Casserly has ever scouted?

Really. I'm on the train. And dont' get me started on Beck. He beat more top-25 teams than Quinn did? Man. I'm on board.

:puts down Kool-Aid:

:D

The only thing I really disagree with is that Ginn might have been a top 5 pick. There are too many questions about his ability to develop into #1 receiver. He is unbelievably fast and one of the best returners I've ever seen, but no one had him ranked in the top 5 before his injury.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Re: Official "I support the Ted Ginn pick" thread 

Post#8 » by mopper8 » Tue May 1, 2007 5:07 pm

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The only thing I really disagree with is that Ginn might have been a top 5 pick. There are too many questions about his ability to develop into #1 receiver. He is unbelievably fast and one of the best returners I've ever seen, but no one had him ranked in the top 5 before his injury.

Yeah, I was exaggerating. Trying to get the fans on board here! But in the 7-12 range was just about right, IMO.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

Post#9 » by Scum Freezebag » Tue May 1, 2007 6:04 pm

It's gonna be an event everytime Ginn touches the football.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,600

Post#10 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue May 1, 2007 6:56 pm

Does Beck play this year for us right away?
Mourning_Heat_33
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#11 » by Mourning_Heat_33 » Tue May 1, 2007 7:15 pm

At first I hated the pick. I hate how we didn't pick Quinn, I hate Ohio State and I hate how we picked the guy who ran for that touchdown against the Gators at the start of the championship game.

But my main complaint of the Dolphins this past season was how we didn't have playmakers on the team. And we didn't have guys who, if we did have playmakers, could get them the ball.

But it looks like our first 2 picks address the exact problem. And Quinn probably would have been a 'going through the motions' type of pick. This wasn't the wrong pick. It's exactly what we need.

The only thing that concerns me now is how we, for the past several years, pick up so many penalties, and I don't want any holding calls when Ginn is lightning through the opposition's defense.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,273

Post#12 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 1, 2007 8:03 pm

Being an Ohio State fan, I was NEVER upset with the pick, though I was in complete shock that we didn't take Quinn. He does add an explosive element to the offense that was previously missing.

Like I've said many times though, when we made the pick the first thing I said to my friends was "we're taking Beck", so I never had the problem of not understanding what they were thinking. I knew...
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#13 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 8:16 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Being an Ohio State fan

To you sir I say..

:naaa:
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 1, 2007 8:23 pm

2poor wrote:To you sir I say..

Gator fan? Otherwise, I retort with a hearty :naaa: right back at you...
2poor
RealGM

Post#15 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 8:26 pm

Look at my location. ;)
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 1, 2007 8:41 pm

2poor wrote:Look at my location. ;)

Oh, then I definetely get to :naaa: you!

You know, it's only a rivalry if the other team manages to win a game. :cheesygrin:

Of course, I expect the big school up north will manage a victory this year, you just couldn't beat Troy and Teddy...
2poor
RealGM

Post#17 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 8:53 pm

Yeah, with all their returning starters, Michigan has no reason to not win the Big10 handily, and be in the top 5 (if not in the national championship).

Otherwise, :wave: Lloyd Carr!
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 1, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm honestly shocked that Carr isn't gone, already. I mean, being owned by OSU is a death knell under normal circumstances. He must have nude pictures of somebody...
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,164

Post#19 » by heatwillbeback » Wed May 2, 2007 5:46 am

im warming up to it

only if Beck becomes better than Quinn is if I will support it....QB is the most important position on the field....
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by BBallFreak » Wed May 2, 2007 10:42 am

heatwillbeback wrote:im warming up to it

only if Beck becomes better than Quinn is if I will support it....QB is the most important position on the field....

Why does he have to be better than Quinn? What if they both put up the exact same stats?

Return to Miami Dolphins