Draft thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,609

Re: Draft thread 

Post#41 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Cassel isn't the long term answer, and no matter where we draft a QB I wouldn't feel like he has to start right away. There has to be a level of investment though. The first and second is where you find guys that you expect to start, so ideally we would take one there. If we really don't like one there I'd take one in the 3rd (even if it's a reach) and be open to the possibility of drafting another one high next year.

I think it's too tough to find your guy if you always wait until the late rounds and hope somebody develops.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#42 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Cassel isn't the long term answer, and no matter where we draft a QB I wouldn't feel like he has to start right away. There has to be a level of investment though. The first and second is where you find guys that you expect to start, so ideally we would take one there. If we really don't like one there I'd take one in the 3rd (even if it's a reach) and be open to the possibility of drafting another one high next year.

I think it's too tough to find your guy if you always wait until the late rounds and hope somebody develops.

True, but I would still rather wait for the later rounds rather than reach.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#43 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Twolf16 wrote:Would be nice to trade back and grab Dennard (or another top CB prospect) and then Shazier and a safety. Qb can be a day 3 or 4.

I can totally see Spielman sitting back and waiting until day 4 to draft a QB.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#44 » by Esohny » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:Would be nice to trade back and grab Dennard (or another top CB prospect) and then Shazier and a safety. Qb can be a day 3 or 4.

I can totally see Spielman sitting back and waiting until day 4 to draft a QB.

I can too, but that doesn't change the fact that it would annoy the hell out of me.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#45 » by hermes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

so big news: raiders traded for matt schuab and that is one more team ahead of us that (likely) isn't going qb in the first round
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#46 » by Jukeness » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Hmmmmm, I dont know. Matt Schaub certainly doesnt solve the Raiders qb problem, they could still go with someone in the first.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#47 » by The J Rocka » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

I think the Raiders will target a QB later in the draft like 3rd-5th round. I'm thinking they have to go OL or Sammy Watkins.
hermes
RealGM

Post#48 » by hermes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm

texans got fitzpatrick

i'm thinking that these teams getting qbs is kind of like us and the bridge qb cassel, they aren't really obligated to take a qb now they have the option of grabbing one later

i'd say things are more up in the air now more so than before
VikesRule
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#49 » by VikesRule » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:01 am

I'm always a fan of going BPA in the draft. That said, our three biggest needs are QB, LB, and CB, so it would be good to have those be our three picks.

I think we're almost guaranteed to draft a QB in one of the first three rounds though.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by The J Rocka » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:34 pm

I know our defense was ranked 31st and the last thing we should think about is WR but Mike Evans would really be tough to pass on. With that being said, this draft is pretty deep at WR and we still have other areas to improve on.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#51 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

I love Mike Evans, nobody can go up in traffic to get a ball like he can. But like you said, it's not a big need.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#52 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri May 2, 2014 2:10 am

this is taking too long, why'd they move the draft back
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#53 » by Krapinsky » Mon May 5, 2014 6:40 pm

I see the Vikings trying to trade back from 8 and get an extra 3rd. Once they trade back they'll nab a linebacker or defensive back. Then they'll try and trade up from 40 if a QB they like slides (thinking Bortles or Carr). If those guys get nabbed early, then they'll wait and take Mettenberger.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
hermes
RealGM

Post#54 » by hermes » Tue May 6, 2014 2:59 am

i like that, trading down and then back up

totally something spielman would try and pull off
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by The J Rocka » Wed May 7, 2014 4:22 pm

Blog article that puts some of the rumors together with some tidbits

http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/rumors ... -the-draft

The rumor mill indicates that the Vikings are high on quarterback Johnny Manziel, quarterback Blake Bortles, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, linebacker Khalil Mack, cornerback Darqueze Dennard, receiver Mike Evans and linebacker C.J. Mosley. Those same rumor-mongers also like the Vikings to target Zach Mettenberger or Derek Carr with the 40th pick.

The rumor mill also indicates that the Vikings are low on Blake Bortles and have C.J. Mosley and Zach Mettenberger off their boards entirely—Mosley for medical reasons an Mettenberger for off-field reasons. Good to know that the Vikings can be simulataneously high and low on the same players.

The things I’ve heard from the people I trust the most say the following: the Vikings are not sold on Blake Bortles with the eighth pick, and that the Aaron Donald interest is both real and contrived—they like him as a player, but are not planning on taking him with the eighth pick, instead using him as bait for a trade down in the teens to get Teddy Bridgewater.

Otherwise, the folks I’ve talked to indicate that the Vikings are also very much interested in Johnny Manziel, but there is a strong feeling he’ll be gone by pick four anyway. If they do trade up, it will be to pick #5 with the Oakland Raiders, and it will probably be for Khalil Mack.

If that doesn’t happen and the Vikings also cannot swing a trade down, they may be more interested in Darqueze Dennard than Aaron Donald.

Should Mike Evans fall, he’ll be a serious consideration but ultimately may be trade bait (like I believe Donald to be).
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#56 » by Worm Guts » Wed May 7, 2014 6:53 pm

Aaron Donald is interesting. Everywhere I read says he's dominant. There's a good chance he'll be the best player available at our pick, even though DT isn't a need.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#57 » by Jukeness » Wed May 7, 2014 7:38 pm

This is what Spielman said in his press conference yesterday: "I've read the mocks. Everybody reads the mocks because we're tired of yelling at each other. At night I read the mocks, kind of get caught up on things. You guys are missing some names on our spot at 8, I can tell you that."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,457

Post#58 » by Klomp » Wed May 7, 2014 7:41 pm

I've been thinking for the past week or so: Bortles, Donald, or trade down. Not necessarily in that order, either.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#59 » by Krapinsky » Wed May 7, 2014 8:04 pm

I think our first round pick, wherever that may eventually fall, will be a linebacker or corner. Mosely, Shazier, Gilbert, or Dennard.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#60 » by Krapinsky » Wed May 7, 2014 10:00 pm

Let's here your predictions fellas.

I'm going Mosley or Shazier in the 1st, Garoppolo or Bridgewarter in the 2nd, and then a corner in the 3rd, either Jean-Baptiste or McGill.

Return to Minnesota Vikings