Draft thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,557

Draft thread 

Post#1 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Talk about your favorite draft prospects here, or you can continue on in the QB prospect thread. It doesn't matter to me, this place is a free-for-all.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Re: Draft thread 

Post#2 » by Jukeness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:17 pm

I still like Derek Carr and want us to draft a quarterback early, but I wonder if he might be a reach at the 8th pick, will have to wait until after the combine to reassess what I think. If the Vikings think that too, they could trade back and try and grab him at a lower spot, I would also be okay if we took Khalil Mack at #8, as he could help bolster the front 7.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,581

Post#3 » by hermes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:29 pm

outside of qb, what are our main positions of need that should be addressed in the draft?

guard, probably both spots on the d-line, secondary help big time

do we need to look at linebackers at all? it seems like we have a lot, drafted what people think could be a couple really good ones last year (hodges and manti)
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#4 » by Jukeness » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

We need help at basically every position on the defense. To me defensive end is the biggest hole and then cornerback, maybe we can grab a starter out of free agency because we wont be able to fill every spot with the draft.
hermes
RealGM

Post#5 » by hermes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:02 pm

what about on offense? guard help might be the only thing of dire need (outside of qb) the offense seems to be in fair shape at least. so most of the draft should probably be focused on defense right?

sammy watkins was brought up in the other thread, if everyone else we wanted is gone at 8, and he's the best available should we take him over reaching for a qb, or a defensive player? i'd say we have a good group of wrs now, watkins would really put it over the top but is that a proper direction to go, since defense and qb are such dire needs
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Apparently Todd McShay doesn't have any QB's in his top 10 prospects.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#7 » by Jukeness » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:21 pm

hermes wrote:what about on offense? guard help might be the only thing of dire need (outside of qb) the offense seems to be in fair shape at least. so most of the draft should probably be focused on defense right?

sammy watkins was brought up in the other thread, if everyone else we wanted is gone at 8, and he's the best available should we take him over reaching for a qb, or a defensive player? i'd say we have a good group of wrs now, watkins would really put it over the top but is that a proper direction to go, since defense and qb are such dire needs

I dont expect this to happen that everyone will be drafted we want, but I would rather not have us draft Watkins, I'm not sure he'll even be there at our pick. I think there's a lot of people we could get over Watkins, one of Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, CJ Mosley, or even Darqueze Dennard. I wouldnt prefer us taking Mosley or Dennard. Seems like we are in a tough spot to draft in. I'd like Mack if all the QB's were gone though.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#8 » by Twolf16 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:23 pm

I definitely see us grabbing a defensive player in the first now that Zimmer is head coach. It all depends what we so in free agency but can't go wrong with either a linebacker or cornerback.
hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Apparently Todd McShay doesn't have any QB's in his top 10 prospects.

i think that is kind of a common thing, the qbs are necessarily always the top prospects but they'll get picked over the others (a lot of the time) because of the importance of the position
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm

I don't think a non-pass rushing linebacker is worth the 8th pick, which is why I don't want Mosely unless we trade back. Even with Barr and Mack I'm concerned we won't be able to use them effectively as pass rushers since the 4-3 isn't really built for pass rushing linebackers.
I don't think I have a big favorite right now unless Bridgewater or Clowney fall to 8.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#11 » by Jukeness » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't think a non-pass rushing linebacker is worth the 8th pick, which is why I don't want Mosely unless we trade back. Even with Barr and Mack I'm concerned we won't be able to use them effectively as pass rushers since the 4-3 isn't really built for pass rushing linebackers.
I don't think I have a big favorite right now unless Bridgewater or Clowney fall to 8.

It'll change after the combine. Hopefully someone will look a little better at our pick.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 am

I guess Manziel is my favorite. I'm ready for some hype. Maybe even consider trying to trade up for Bridgewater since it seems he's not being seen (right now) as a sure fire #1/franchise QB. Carr and Bortles seem too boring. I'd even take Mettenberger in the 3rd for some insurance. Barr seems interesting, but I don't know what kind of defensive scheme they'll be running. If they can't get Bridgewater or Manziel, maybe they should consider trading down at that point.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#13 » by Esohny » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:49 am

I'd prefer Bridgewater and would be okay with trading up for him. After that, they need guards, but the rest of the draft should probably be defense. Hopefully they pay for secondary help in free agency as well, since there should be good vets available.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#14 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Bridgewater definitely fits Norv's vertical offense and can throw in the pocket. Depends on the price to move up. Though we desperately needs a QB of the future, some may feel we have bigger concerns with multiple positions, many with the defense. Hence, the team shouldn't put ALL the chips in to move up.

I'd be okay with moving up depending on the price. Otherwise, I'm a strong advocate in improving our D with the 8th pick.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 pm

I think QB is always the biggest concern. I'd pay pretty heft price if I thought I could get a guy like Rodgers, Manning or Brady. The part I'm always worried about is the bust factor. I don't want to make an RG3 type trade and then up with a Ryan Leaf type situation.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Well, that's part of my reasoning for this draft and decision to stand pat. I don't think there's a QB of their caliber in this draft. You could argue Manziel but there's too much risk of boom/bust, nothing in between, and chances are HOU keeps the pick unless the Browns (who are reported to be in love with him) give up an arm & leg to move up, which would be your RG3 type trade.

We need a QB no question but I'm not willing to give up many extra picks when this team has many holes to fill. Worst case, this team goes QB in the 2nd or 3rd if they decide to go defense 1st round. Otherwise, I've heard next year's draft class should have many talented QBs.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#17 » by Jukeness » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Could always get Carr
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by The J Rocka » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 am

Not a big fan of Carr. He's dropped significantly on many QB big boards. I'd maybe take him in the 3rd but I'm sure a team will reach for him, just hope it's not us.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#19 » by Jukeness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:28 am

The J Rocka wrote:Not a big fan of Carr. He's dropped significantly on many QB big boards. I'd maybe take him in the 3rd but I'm sure a team will reach for him, just hope it's not us.

The third round? I'd be pretty surprised if he made it to the middle of the second, he's a first round talent, but he could fall due to no one needing him. Doesnt matter a whole lot to me where experts or big boards rank someone, I'd rather make my own analysis of someone rather than a big board or expert tell me how good or where a player will fall. Picking Carr would be a reach and a slight risk, but you can only go so far with Matt Cassell as your quarterback. I actually am not endorsing him at the 8th pick either anymore, maybe we should trade or get Boyd or Mettenberger later. I'd be all for getting Mack at the 8th spot now.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by The J Rocka » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 am

Jukeness wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:Not a big fan of Carr. He's dropped significantly on many QB big boards. I'd maybe take him in the 3rd but I'm sure a team will reach for him, just hope it's not us.

The third round? I'd be pretty surprised if he made it to the middle of the second, he's a first round talent, but he could fall due to no one needing him. Doesnt matter a whole lot to me where experts or big boards rank someone, I'd rather make my own analysis of someone rather than a big board or expert tell me how good or where a player will fall. Picking Carr would be a reach and a slight risk, but you can only go so far with Matt Cassell as your quarterback. I actually am not endorsing him at the 8th pick either anymore, maybe we should trade or get Boyd or Mettenberger later. I'd be all for getting Mack at the 8th spot now.

I wasn't a big fan before when he was considered a top 10 pick. Some team will probably take him in the late 1st/early 2nd (depending on how the combine goes) which we'll get a far better understanding when that gets rolling. I wouldn't touch him at 8. Late 2nd/early 3rd I wouldn't be upset.

Return to Minnesota Vikings