i hope he ends up as the backup not mannion
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: 2019 off-season thread: moves and news 

Post#103 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 am

hermes wrote:well cousins wasn't good but sloter was great

i hope he ends up as the backup not mannion

Can't remember the last 3rd QB they allowed to slide up to #2. He probably needs to throw 5 TDs and then also kick a field goal in the next game for a chance. Vikings have typically placed more value on others team's junk in front of the multiyear development qbs they have inhouse. If fact isn't that why Sloter was brought in initially? To replace the development qb they had for a number of years rather than slide that guy up for #2 at the time? Wasn't it when they brought in Keenum and then Sloter for 3rd?

I'm not much of a fan of the Mannion choice either. oooh Maybe the last 3rd QB to ever slide up to #2 was Joe Webb.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#104 » by hermes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:21 pm

mannion just seems ok. sounds like he's the better guy in practice and understanding the offense or whatever but sloter always seems to turn it on and just make things happen when he gets on the field
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#105 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Never saw a Vikings QB that Rick Spielman and his subservient head coaches didn't try to completely control. Minimize them and control them. I'm not sure how they could allow a gunslinging type QB to elevate roles. Sloter might have to fake a game manager attitude for a while first. I've seen the highlight of a check down out pass from Sloter from the NFL press since yesterday. That's one way to make Mike and Rick smile. Rinse and repeat that pass 20 times in game 4 and you never know, might allow it.
hermes
RealGM

Post#106 » by hermes » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:13 pm

alright, here is the final 53 man roster:

QB:
Kirk Cousins, Sean Mannion

RB:
Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison, Mike Boone, Ameer Abdullah

FB:
C.J. Ham

WR:
Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Bisi Johnson, Chad Beebe

TE:
Kyle Rudolph, Irv Smith, Jr., Tyler Conklin, Brandon Dillon (David Morgan is on the PUP list)

OL
Garrett Bradbury, Brett Jones, Dakota Dozier, Pat Elflein, Josh Kline, Dru Samia, Rashod Hill, Brian O’Neill, Riley Reiff, Oli Udoh

DE:
Danielle Hunter, Everson Griffen, Ifeadi Odenigbo, Stephen Weatherly

DT:
Jalyn Holmes, Jaleel Johnson, Linval Joseph, Hercules Mata’afa, Shamar Stephen, Armon Watts

LB:
Anthony Barr, Kentrell Brothers, Eric Kendricks, Ben Gedeon, Eric Wilson

CB:
Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander, Mike Hughes, Kris Boyd, Mark Fields

S:
Harrison Smith, Jayron Kearse, Anthony Harris, Marcus Epps

Special Teams:
Austin Cutting, Dan Bailey, Matt Wile, Britton Colquitt (signed because he's a better holder?)
hermes
RealGM

Post#107 » by hermes » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:13 pm

and here is the practice squad

FB Khari Blasingame
QB Jake Browning
OL Aviante Collins
WR Davion Davis
LB Devante Downs
DE Stacy Keely
K Chase McLaughlin
CB Nate Meadors
WR Dillon Mitchell
LB Cameron Smith

i'll miss sloter
hermes
RealGM

Post#108 » by hermes » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:14 pm

not a lot there other than kicker chaos, i'll remember the vedvick era fondly

we do get to move on from treadwell i guess
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#109 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:43 pm

hermes wrote:not a lot there other than kicker chaos, i'll remember the vedvick era fondly

we do get to move on from treadwell i guess

Vikings just signed Josh Doctson, a player that may have made more sense to draft the year they took Treadwell. But also a WR that has struggled to do that much so far in his career, just plenty more than Treadwell. Vikings fans will now hitch hope to a new #3 wideout. Doctson, if memory serves, was more of an endzone threat or possible deep threat. I wonder if he'll be getting those plays or if they will use him on 3 yard out routes. I suppose corner fades from the 1 yard line might qualify. Rudolph, Thielen, Doctson, Diggs are going to make it really easy for Cook to run touchdowns up the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001046107/article/vikings-sign-josh-doctson-days-after-cutting-treadwell
In Minnesota, Doctson will reunite with Kirk Cousins, his quarterback in 2016 and 2017. Doctson was Cousins' second-most targeted receiver in 2017 (78 targets) but finished fifth on the team in receptions (35). His 44.9 catch percentage that season was the fifth-worst among receivers with at least 50 targets.

Hopefully they can change that catch percentage issue. No way Zimmer floats him at 45%. He'd be the new doghouse fall guy after losses.

Return to Minnesota Vikings