ImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread

Moderator: Parliament10

TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by TheCelticTruth » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:27 pm

What do you guys think about the draft? We've killed in free agency, and we have two first round picks, 10 picks overall going into the draft. Do you pick the best players available, target a position, wait and see how it shapes up, trade up for a bigger impact guy, or trade down for more/future picks?

My favorite players for us at 24 and 28 (I'm a see how it unfolds type) are DB- Reggie Nelson, Brandon Meriweather, WR- Robert Meachem, OT- Joe Staley, LB- Lamarr Woodley, David Harris, Patrick Willis

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#2 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:58 pm

Right now the player I really like is Michael Griffin the safety out of Texas. I think he can really be a playmaker and gets to learn behind two good safties in Wilson and Harrison.

I'd like to see someone like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis fall to the Pats as well. The secondary could really use some help.
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#3 » by captain_cheapseats » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:34 am

With the first pick, I'd like to see them take whoever the guy is that slips (assuming it's not a QB). It seems like every other year there is a guy who is a top-10/15 talent and slips all the way down to the early/mid 20s somehow. We got lucky with that with Wilfork once, no reason it can't happen this year.

If no one really falls, and things go like the mocks say they will, I'd like to see them take Griffin and Grubs with their two firsts. I like Griffin, and Harrison (much as I hate to admit it) really can't stay healthy anymore. Wilson was playing back at the level he was his rookie year before getting hurt, so hopefully he'll be back on track and we can all forget that crappy year #2,** and Hawkins played well late in the year, but just in case it'll be nice to have another safety.

As for Grubs he looks like a sure thing. Though Neal is a nice story coming over from wrestling, and would be solid on most o-lines in the NFL, when O'Callaghan was healthy the first couple games Neal was definitely the weak link of the o-line. Of course O'Callaghan was injury prone in college, and was hurt most of last season, Britt is inconsistent, and Kazcur struggled a lot, but I still think there is so dang much potential between those three that at least one is bound to pan out at RT. I didn't like the guard (or I guess he played tackle in college) out of Tennessee as much from what I saw at the Senior Bowl (thank you NFL Network!), and Grubs seems a better fit with what New England is trying to do.

In the 3rd I hope that guy Woodley manages to fall. To short for DE, too slow for LB, yes, but considering how good he was in college it's hard to think he won't be able to transition. I can think of another productive college DE, one of the all-time college sack leaders in fact, who the Pats were able to get because he supposedly didn't have an NFL position, and that worked out pretty well (if it isn't obvious, I'm talking about Bruschi).

I also like Bowe (WRs who can block are very valuable.....if he can catch at all he'll be a steal, though unfortunately it's not clear that he can) and the FB out of Rutgers (if he really is the best FB to come out in years like they say that is, I haven't seen enough of him to know), but since we don't have a pick in the early 2nd, those seem unlikely.

**I still don't get how you go from getting screwed out of a P.B. spot because everyone thought Lynch was retiring and wanted to give him one more trip to Hawaii, to sucking completely from your rookie year to year two, but oh well.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#4 » by wetsthebed » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:06 am

I like Griffin from Texas with the first pick if he's available. Also like Revis or the best CB available, there'll a ton of good CBs available in the late first. It's up to BB to decide which he likes, whether it be Ross, McCauley, Houston or whoever.
I could also see them picking a guard if one slips farther than he should.

Wouldn't be surprised if we take Brian Leonard either, he has the potential to be a top tier FB.
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by U2larkin04 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:17 am

I want Zac DeOssie, partly because I'm a homer and also because I think he will be a stud... We deffinitly need a running back, Maroney's shoulder is about as sure to me as Mark Blount's hands (Only thing I could think of after seeing WTB's avator, haha). There are alot of options at RB, but not many in the 1st round. We also need a safety or cornerback... I like Meachmen alot...
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#6 » by J.Kim » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:20 am

westthebest wrote:I like Griffin from Texas with the first pick if he's available. Also like Revis or the best CB available, there'll a ton of good CBs available in the late first. It's up to BB to decide which he likes, whether it be Ross, McCauley, Houston or whoever.
I could also see them picking a guard if one slips farther than he should.

Wouldn't be surprised if we take Brian Leonard either, he has the potential to be a top tier FB.

I don't know if Brian Leonard would be available late in someone being justified to take him as a FB.

I'm willing to bet that someone is willing to overpay for him to start as a Running Back in this league, or even as a type of H-Back, receiving or running out of the backfield...
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#7 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:58 pm

It's in my gut, that I would watch both Jon Beason and Greg Olsen out of Miami. I am not saying that they will take them both, but something tells me one of them, if their still there, will be picked up by the pats.

Jon Beason was mentioned by two sources, NFL Network, and Mike Reiss. He seems like a good backer, with a "good attitude" that I would love to see on the pats.

As for Olsen, thats just a gut feeling. I think if that the patriots see him at 24 or 28, the pats will surprise again by taking him.

Other players to watch, were those who were mentioned, Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, and Revis.

As a fantasy thought, I would love to see the pats trade both there picks for a buffalo second this year, and a first next year. With all the AFC east increasing, and buffalo decreasing, buffalo could be picking in the top 5 next year. Again, that is just a fantasy thought.

But who knows, guessing the patriots draft choices is harder then any other team.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#8 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:09 pm

profootballtalk is predicting a trade with us and the steelers to move up to the 15th in their mock draft ( so we can nab nelson)- any truth in that- i.e. has anybody heard that is a possibility?

priorities
1. DB (corner or Safety- we need quality and we need depth)
2. LB/OT

out of the db group (revis, nelson, hall, ross, griffin, merriweather (this guy is going to be a STUD))

LB: Beason, Moss (play lb in a 3/4- maybe?), polunzsky, siler
OT: Brown (im predicting he drops), staley, ugoh
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by U2larkin04 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 6:52 pm

Alright, this would be a dream draft for me now with the Samuel rumor... We trade Samuel for the 6th... Detroit wants to move down to get Gaines Adams so we give them the 6th and say a future 3rd or something. We then use that to pick Adrian Peterson
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#10 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Fri Apr 6, 2007 8:54 pm

posted it also in another thread, this maybe more appropriate
--------------------------------------------------

if the pats got the 6th pick, then Laron Landry will be a patriot.

on my list, there aren't that many sure fire players in the draft. of the top of my head, 4 i have high confidence in.

1. Calvin Johnson- best player in the draft. hands down.
2. Laron Landry. when i saw him in person, i said the same thing i said everytime i saw calvin in person ( i live in atl, so i went to a few gtech games). this kid is a MAN, and everyone else- little boys. Within two years, will be one of the top 5 safeties in the league.
3. Gaines Adams- I don't know how to describe him- other than QB's beware
4. Charles Johnson. don't get me wrong. Charles probably doesn't have the same upside as the 1st 3. so far, i have seen him projected 15-30. This kid punishes offensive lineman- no one stands in his way. i like him a lot better than the other end out of GA (moses). my prediction- couple of years from now, everyone will be asking how did this guy drop.

don't get me wrong- other great kids in this draft. russell, quin, jamal anderson, joe thomas..... all could be as good as their potential and espn experts indicate they can be. but from my own eyes, the 4 on my list are can't miss- will kick everyone else's ass players
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Apr 6, 2007 8:56 pm

U2larkin04 wrote:Alright, this would be a dream draft for me now with the Samuel rumor... We trade Samuel for the 6th... Detroit wants to move down to get Gaines Adams so we give them the 6th and say a future 3rd or something. We then use that to pick Adrian Peterson

Peterson? Why not Calvin Johnson.
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by U2larkin04 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 12:41 am

Celtics_champs wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Peterson? Why not Calvin Johnson.

I feel Johnson will go 1 or 2, maybe not, but thats what I think will happen
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Apr 7, 2007 1:37 am

U2larkin04 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I feel Johnson will go 1 or 2, maybe not, but thats what I think will happen

Oh ok, I thought you were rating peterson over johnson. That would have been a first. Every board I look at has Johnson as the top overall player, and I agree. CJ is worth the hype.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#14 » by wetsthebed » Sat Apr 7, 2007 2:53 am

U2larkin04 wrote:We then use that to pick Adrian Peterson
no chance we'd use that pick on a running back. I don't think that trade's happening anyway.
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by U2larkin04 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 5:37 pm

westthebest wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

no chance we'd use that pick on a running back. I don't think that trade's happening anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Maroney, he is one of my favorite players, I'm just worried about his shoulder... I don't want to have to depend on Sammy Morris
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Apr 7, 2007 9:57 pm

I wouldnt worry about maroney too much, the pats knew about his shoulder surgery and they still released dillon, as well as not signing a vet like Jamal Lewis, or entering in the Willis McGahee race.

Return to New England Patriots