2024 Off-Season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 944

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#61 » by Tom White » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:39 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:In my opinion it was well worth giving them up for a stud starter in Siakam who instantly became our best player.

This is not a knock on Siakam. He is a very talented player. But if he is your best player, you are not going to win anything. He will most likely play well in most games, but his presence doesn't help make your other players better.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 158

Post#62 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 pm

Tom White wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:In my opinion it was well worth giving them up for a stud starter in Siakam who instantly became our best player.

This is not a knock on Siakam. He is a very talented player. But if he is your best player, you are not going to win anything. He will most likely play well in most games, but his presence doesn't help make your other players better.

I'm gonna agree,.. and disagree. =}

I agree with you, that if the current,.. now 29 Pascal Siakam is your sole 'best player',.. and not 'one of your best players' with equally talented, complimentary pieces around him,.... you aren't going to go very far. In the first game,.. he showed up, (mostly) the other primary pieces around him, not as much. Which only proves your point,.. if he alone is your best player,... you aren't winning a first round match up. He isn't a guy that is going to be able to put the team on his back, alone, in the playoffs, and will your team to a victory, Ala Jimmy Butler from a few years back.

IMO, the way he fits with this team, he does make the other players better. He provides a post presence, a post threat, that should keep opponents from stacking the perimeter & shutting off the shooters. I think he has also worked pretty hard to see what the Pacers as a team need from him, then try to do it.

This year, at 29, he has had the best per minute (or per 36 minute) rebounding season of his career. He's never really been known for rebounding,... but the last time he recorded the same RPG he has this year,.. he played 37 minutes a night to do it,... now he is doing it in 31.

He has been running to the corner, as a stand in the corner 3 guy on plays where that opened the floor for Ty to attack, or for Myles to make his mid-range cut to the basket. He has fit in with his passing (usual numbers for him), and with his ball handling to help when teams double or blitz Ty, then gotten the ball back into the hands of guards to create, instead of playing ISO ball on his own, as a first option. (he does play iso-ball in the post when the other options have been shut down.)

At least to my eye,.. which I freely admit, could be wrong. He looks like a guy playing a very team-centric game, from his position on the floor, & trying to help everyone capitalize. I think he does make the Pacers better, as a team. He just isn't one of those guys that can level-up, and take over a game.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 728

Post#63 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

Tom White wrote:

I agree as the best player he doesn’t make others better. Very few players capable of doing this would not play in Indy. However he does make the team better as the best player. Yes we need a lot more to win a playoff series and this is the first year of sniffing the playoffs during the rebuild. I’ve said as much that we need more veteran stars to add in while our youthful players mature which hopefully will strengthen the team.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#64 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:47 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#65 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 am

Read on Twitter
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#66 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know it’s only a single win, but I’m hoping Siakam makes you eat your words Tom. He led the Pacers to the road playoff win tonight involving the whole team in this game. I believe that if he continues to shine and involve his teammates this series is ours. It would be a huge stepping stone for the future.

Can they go farther this season I don’t know ?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#67 » by JMaster5K » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2024/04/23/pascal-siakams-37-points-help-pacers-even-the-series-with-bucks/73433231007/

"According to the X account for the sports technology company StatsPerform, Siakam became the first player since Wilt Chamberlain in 1967 to begin the playoffs with back-to-back games in which he scored at least 35 points and grabbed at least 10 rebounds."
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 944

Post#68 » by Tom White » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:02 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:.....but I’m hoping Siakam makes you eat your words Tom.

Oh, I'm hoping he does as well. That is why I started my post with it not being a knock on Siakam. My post was not so much about him as it was about the team.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,086

Post#69 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

Tom White wrote:

Oh, I'm hoping he does as well. That is why I started my post with it not being a knock on Siakam. My post was not so much about him as it was about the team.

one way Siakam makes the team better is by letting Nesmith play and guard 3s.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#70 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:

one way Siakam makes the team better is by letting Nesmith play and guard 3s.

Absolutely as last season he was matched up against taller and more physical players which was a big disadvantage in rebounding.

Siakam has also helped with some of the rebounding issues they’ve had as well as his ability to score on his own.

Nesmith now has less mismatches and when Sheppard comes in for him it puts Sheppard on a decent matchup also.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#71 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:39 pm

Does anyone know what allocations are added up to come up with the tax apron figures for a team?... I understand the tax line itself, but the apron figures are different? for the life of me, I can't see any numbers that add up to the difference? Any help greatly appreciated. =}
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,094

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Does anyone know what allocations are added up to come up with the tax apron figures for a team?... I understand the tax line itself, but the apron figures are different? for the life of me, I can't see any numbers that add up to the difference? Any help greatly appreciated. =}

Good question. For last year, it was set at "approximately $7million above the Tax Level", the second apron was set "at $17.5m above the Tax Level", and beginning with the 2024-25 year, the aprons "will grow at the rate of growth in the salary cap".
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#73 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Does anyone know what allocations are added up to come up with the tax apron figures for a team?... I understand the tax line itself, but the apron figures are different? for the life of me, I can't see any numbers that add up to the difference? Any help greatly appreciated. =}

Good question. For last year, it was set at "approximately $7million above the Tax Level", the second apron was set "at $17.5m above the Tax Level", and beginning with the 2024-25 year, the aprons "will grow at the rate of growth in the salary cap".

Thanks Scoot! Glad to see ya back !! LOL =]

But I wasn't wondering about the Apron levels themselves,... that part I get. It's the team allocations that are added up to come up with the teams figure? I get the tax line, Active Salaries, Dead Salaries, etc. But the Team value matched against the Aprons for the Pacers is 3.1M higher than the team allocation for the tax line?.... If I subtract the 'empty roster spot' allocation, we are exactly 1.9M more for the Apron allocations than the actual Tax line. I can't see anything that adds up to that difference?.... (and I was guessing about the 'empty roster spot' even being an inclusion?... ) Also couldn't find anything on Spotrac, or the internet that explained the allocations?

Was just hoping that someone here had more information than I could find,... well,.. as usual,.. LOL =]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm

[gfycat][/gfycat]
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

But I wasn't wondering about the Apron levels themselves,... that part I get. It's the team allocations that are added up to come up with the teams figure? I get the tax line, Active Salaries, Dead Salaries, etc. But the Team value matched against the Aprons for the Pacers is 3.1M higher than the team allocation for the tax line?.... If I subtract the 'empty roster spot' allocation, we are exactly 1.9M more for the Apron allocations than the actual Tax line. I can't see anything that adds up to that difference?.... (and I was guessing about the 'empty roster spot' even being an inclusion?... ) Also couldn't find anything on Spotrac, or the internet that explained the allocations?

Was just hoping that someone here had more information than I could find,... well,.. as usual,.. LOL =]

Unlikely bonuses also count against the aprons, but not the tax lines, unless they’re, well, earned. :lol:
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#75 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:27 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Unlikely bonuses also count against the aprons, but not the tax lines, unless they’re, well, earned. :lol:

LOLOL - I shoulda known,.. just ask Scoot! Hit it right on the head,... the difference is the incomplete roster charge and unlikely incentives! - thank you. =}
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am

JMaster5K wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

LOLOL - I shoulda known,.. just ask Scoot! Hit it right on the head,... the difference is the incomplete roster charge and unlikely incentives! - thank you. =}

Yup! Think of it this way, the league won’t penalize you (taxes) on incentives that aren’t earned, but just in case there’s a hard cap triggered at an apron level by a move a team makes, they’re going to count that unearned incentive (or unlikely incentive) against the apron level to ensure you can stay under it.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#77 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Yup! Think of it this way, the league won’t penalize you (taxes) on incentives that aren’t earned, but just in case there’s a hard cap triggered at an apron level by a move a team makes, they’re going to count that unearned incentive (or unlikely incentive) against the apron level to ensure you can stay under it.

When Silver retires,... I nominate SCOOT ! LOL =}
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

When Silver retires,... I nominate SCOOT ! LOL =}

Gracias, sir! At this point, it’s just having seen a lot over many cba’s and focusing on it!
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#79 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:03 pm

What do you guys think of DeMar DeRozan?... Do you think he could fit as a 3 on the Pacers?... older guy, only a number of seasons left? Still playing at a really high level,... He's not a long 3,... but as his minutes begin to wind down, do you think he could help all our wings learn what it takes? Saw an interview where Pascal said that DeMar was one of his mentors,.. taught him a lot. They still keep in touch. ??
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,086

Post#80 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:48 pm

JMaster5K wrote:What do you guys think of DeMar DeRozan?
I wouldn't. we have Nembhard, Mathurin, and Sheppard all of whom deserve PT and development. Plus, Walker and K_Brown may also turn out to be wings.

but assuming we beat the Bucks, I might change my desire for a veteran after I see what happens in round 2.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers