RealGM
And1: 3,972

Re: Woj/Shams: Pacers to get Siakam in trade 

Post#101 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:43 pm

granger05 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
granger05 wrote:
[img]

Wait a minute I feel something coming up.

You've never liked a single draft pick that the team makes so why do you care about trading picks?

You're right let's trade them all out to 2030 and the swaps too, maybe they can get another guy who won't sign.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 302

Post#102 » by dkb964 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:47 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
dkb964 wrote:The Pacers did not give up much to get Siakam but giving him a massive long-term contract at 30 years old is not ideal. It seems like the Raptors traded Anunoby to the Knicks because the Knicks are willing to give him a huge contract. I imagine the same goes here for the Pacers. Siakam is durable and a very good player but he would be better suited as a 3rd guy on Dallas for example in my opinion.

The Pacers will not give him $42-45 million per year with 8% raises for 5 years.

This is a desperation bush league move by a front office that has it's head firmly implanted in it's rectum.

I would have to give them credit for not giving up a single prospect in the deal though. I think they did well in terms of what they gave up. I just question why a soon to be 30 year old who wants a massie contract was the direction to go. The Pacers just drafted a guy that plays the same position in the top 10. How is he ever going to find minutes? It just seems like a strange move, but I also understand that like Toronto it is very difficult to lure free agents and the Pacers want to win a playoff series. I beleive their owenership is on the older side.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,522

Post#103 » by jowglenn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:52 pm

dkb964 wrote: The Pacers just drafted a guy that plays the same position in the top 10. How is he ever going to find minutes?

We're definitely losing either Jalen Smith or Obi Toppin this offseason, or both of them. So minutes will show up next year.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,224

Post#104 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:54 pm

jowglenn wrote:
dkb964 wrote: The Pacers just drafted a guy that plays the same position in the top 10. How is he ever going to find minutes?

We're definitely losing either Jalen Smith or Obi Toppin this offseason, or both of them. So minutes will show up next year.

Jarace can also play the 3.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#105 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:58 pm

I want to make one thing perfectly clear I like Siakam as a player, but I don't think he will resign and this team can't give him $45 million per year with raises. Just look at 2025-26 Haliburton will make $35 million, with Pascal at $42 million and then Turner at $30 million that is $107 million for just 3 guys. Then you have to start resigning players. Hello Luxury tax and still not good enough to beat Boston in the East.

This is a waste it's desperation.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,522

Post#106 » by jowglenn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Only if I want to quit torturing you Einstein's with my perfect logic.

I'm gonna be here July 1st when Siakam signs with Philly so I can laugh at you the most. :lol:

If Siakam signs with Philly, you will have been correct, much to my chagrin. And I'll admit that your pessimism was warranted.

But if Siakam re-signs with the Pacers, I'm pretty sure you'll be here excoriating the deal as a terrible overpay, Siakam sucks, we're stuck with him now.

I guess a better plan would have been "draft some late first rounders to ride the bench"?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,253

Post#107 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

There’s trade one.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,822

Post#108 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:08 am

He’s gonna light it up for you guys.
Go Raps!!
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 445

Post#109 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:37 am

Step 2

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,319

Post#111 » by Parataxis » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:No worries, mate! I love seeing your work on this stuff!

So what do you think from here?.... If Woj is right and he wants to resign in FA,.. do you think he goes 1+1,.. with the 30% max,.. then opts out & resigns at the 35% max? or wants the security of having the longer term deal, but at the lower value?....

I think he’d take the 5 year max, but your suggesting is very, very possible, too.

From a Raps fan perspective, Pascal (rightly) wants to take care of himself, but he's not a FVV 'bet on yourself over everything' type of guy.

If he can get the 5 year max, I don't think he'll pass that up to take a shorter contract and go for the supermax afterwards.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:39 am

Parataxis wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
So what do you think from here?.... If Woj is right and he wants to resign in FA,.. do you think he goes 1+1,.. with the 30% max,.. then opts out & resigns at the 35% max? or wants the security of having the longer term deal, but at the lower value?....

I think he’d take the 5 year max, but your suggesting is very, very possible, too.

From a Raps fan perspective, Pascal (rightly) wants to take care of himself, but he's not a FVV 'bet on yourself over everything' type of guy.

If he can get the 5 year max, I don't think he'll pass that up to take a shorter contract and go for the supermax afterwards.

Sure. To be clear, though, it wouldn’t be a supermax at that point. He would just have the years of service to sign a 35% max.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 445

Post#113 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:43 am

Nice article from the ringer about the Pacers with Tyrese & Siakam

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/17/24042286/pascal-siakam-trade-indiana-pacers-toronto-raptors
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#114 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 am

Love the gamble at this price.

Brown is a loss but was signed in large part for this reason and we have wing depth. The 26 first hurts flexibility and could be a decent one. But the other 2 picks weren't getting used in all likelihood. The one from OKC was looking to be one that ends up going for a couple 2nds on draft night. And ours isn't going to be great. Plus it's a role player draft, which we're fine on for now.

Have to think there's a follow up deal to address the front court logjam. If it's Smith I'd hope we can get a decent future asset. If it's Obi, I don't expect an asset but I'd like to see him go some place he'll get time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#115 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:40 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I want to make one thing perfectly clear I like Siakam as a player, but I don't think he will resign and this team can't give him $45 million per year with raises. Just look at 2025-26 Haliburton will make $35 million, with Pascal at $42 million and then Turner at $30 million that is $107 million for just 3 guys. Then you have to start resigning players. Hello Luxury tax and still not good enough to beat Boston in the East.

This is a waste it's desperation.

I’ll take the other side of this. You know the cap is going up right? $45m in a couple of seasons will feel like $30m feels now. Remember the outcry when CJ McCollum got his deal and fans couldn’t comprehend him getting $30m?

This isn’t just any old player, this is the right player. Siakam fits Indy like a glove. His two man game with Hali will be elite right away, Siakam is elite in the dribble hand off game, he can get his own shot, he can initiate offense, he can hit trailing 3s and he can bully his way to the hoop. We don’t have any player even remotely close to this.

Also, Indiana isn’t Miami or LA or NY. Cap space is fun to have but doesn’t win you games, players win, and historically the top ones haven’t come to the circle city. This is how the pacers have to build their roster, accruing assets and then spending them when the right piece becomes available.

I’m hyped to see this team play.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#116 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:43 am

jowglenn wrote:

I see Smith getting offers of $10m+ per year, probably more. Would love him to stay but he’s probably worth more elsewhere sadly.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:

I see Smith getting offers of $10m+ per year, probably more. Would love him to stay but he’s probably worth more elsewhere sadly.

He might have to look for a starting spot at center, no matter the money.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#118 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:

Ironically exactly the sort of player the suns are crying out for. I hope he actually gets a starting spot somewhere, he’s been great this season.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 769

Post#119 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:

I don’t believe Smith is starter caliber yet nor is OBI, or Jackson.

We now know from seeing Smith’s improvement that if he’s retained next season he can adequately back up Turner or Siakam on the second unit.

If he leaves then I would guess it would be crucial to retain Jackson and Toppin to keep our depth strong until the youth matures another season.

I love having stars to compete with the top teams. However, the last thing I want to see is the Pacers get so invested in 5 players that they have little bench depth like a few teams in the league.

I think one of our advantages is the depth and second unit. Fingers crossed the front office will keep developing the youth and keep a strong second unit with shrewd player deals and cap moves.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,259

Post#120 » by Appostis » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:00 am

You guys got a steal.

He's going to be amazing from your team.

Return to Indiana Pacers