Jarace Walker potential?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 445

Re: Jarace Walker potential? 

Post#21 » by Grang33r » Mon May 20, 2024 7:15 am

Pacers Forever wrote:As most here I really liked Duarte’s ability and potential. He impressed early with his 3 point shooting and scoring ability driving through contact like Mathurin. Then he was exposed on defense. After he came back from injury I thought right before he was traded he was hustling more on defense and felt like he was learning. His offense wasn’t as good as in the beginning.

I am so glad he was dealt with Domas as that opened room for drafting of possibly better players like Mathurin, Nembhard, and Sheppard. The front office has hit big on at least 3 second round picks recently.

I was one of the most outspoken against Duarte on here i remember. The thing that bothered me most was his draft age. But it's a moot point, the player i wanted most that draft year was Moses Moody. He hasn't really done anything in the league either. Although Moody is about to turn 22, while Duarte turns 27 this summer.

But looking back on it, it sure would be nice to have drafted Trey Murphy or Jalen Johnson.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 187

Post#22 » by JMaster5K » Mon May 20, 2024 7:16 am

Grang33r wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Grang33r wrote:Watching him get a little bit of a run today made me think about this future. He's obviously raw (which coach Carlisle has said several times this season so no surprise) but i was a bit shocked that Brown got into the game ahead of him albeit it was by like a minute.

Anyways, i thought the shots he hit were nice, the shots he missed he was off balance so not sure why he decided to shoot those, some passes were nice and some were erratic. It was garbage time so can't take much from it.

But made me think. What's his potential? Is it something like Naz Reid? Or is his ceiling higher? Or is that too high?

Hey,.. =}

Only my opinion here,... but I think his potential is much higher. I don't believe JW will be a power forward at all. IMO, he will end up as a 3,... more of a 'point forward'. Similar to the way that Coach used Artest with the Pacers in 03-04, and the way he used Shawn Marion & Jay Crowder in 12-13; Chandler Parsons in 14-15 / 15-16;...

I know JW has the athleticism to defend on the perimeter. He has a really nice set of fundamental skills. But, he has a long way to go to know how to use those skills and that athleticism at the NBA level. Let alone within the landscape of an NBA offense and defense.

For me,.. I don't think we start to see regular minutes, at the earliest, until the end of the season / playoffs next year. That is assuming he has the work ethic & basketball IQ to get to a trusted rotation level player. Then he has to get where Reid is,... starting level player,... then keep adding beyond that. (Sorry, stating the obvious,... =/ )

I believe, if everything comes together for him, his potential is a new version of 03-04 Artest, who was league defensive player of the year, with a better offensive package than Artest. Reid has developed into a NBA starting level player. Think JW will do the same. the difference to me, is that at that level, JW will still have untapped upside. Reid is likely playing at his ceiling. Reid's counting stats may go up with more minutes, opportunities, or usage, but I don't see more levels of development coming from him? Would love to be wrong, like him as a player, I just don't see it. For JW, i can see upside beyond that.

Can he get there?... That's up to him... How long will it take?... If he does have it in him, your guess is likely better than mine,.. LOL =] I'd just really love to see it happen.

Sorry just saw this post. Thanks for the detailed post. Some really good insight in here and i really hope you're right, that would be massive for Walker to turn out for the Pacers.

LOL - no worries mate! Yeah,... I agree. Coach has a history of being patient with players like Jarace. If he can get the most out of him, say Mathurin develops the complete game he's been talking about,.. Shep keeps improving,... This team has the potential,.. key word,... to be really good, for a long time (in NBA terms),... Really,... really, want to see that for Indy. =]
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#23 » by Grang33r » Mon May 20, 2024 7:19 am

JMaster5K wrote:
LOL - no worries mate! Yeah,... I agree. Coach has a history of being patient with players like Jarace. If he can get the most out of him, say Mathurin develops the complete game he's been talking about,.. Shep keeps improving,... This team has the potential,.. key word,... to be really good, for a long time (in NBA terms),... Really,... really, want to see that for Indy. =]

I still don't know what Mathurin's peak potential can be for this team? Pacers team could really be loaded next season. They'll have options and flexibility to run several different lineups and schemes.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 776

Post#24 » by Pacers Forever » Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 am

Grang33r wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:As most here I really liked Duarte’s ability and potential. He impressed early with his 3 point shooting and scoring ability driving through contact like Mathurin. Then he was exposed on defense. After he came back from injury I thought right before he was traded he was hustling more on defense and felt like he was learning. His offense wasn’t as good as in the beginning.

I am so glad he was dealt with Domas as that opened room for drafting of possibly better players like Mathurin, Nembhard, and Sheppard. The front office has hit big on at least 3 second round picks recently.

I was one of the most outspoken against Duarte on here i remember. The thing that bothered me most was his draft age. But it's a moot point, the player i wanted most that draft year was Moses Moody. He hasn't really done anything in the league either. Although Moody is about to turn 22, while Duarte turns 27 this summer.

But looking back on it, it sure would be nice to have drafted Trey Murphy or Jalen Johnson.

Trey Murphy or Jalen Johnson would have been fire
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#25 » by JMaster5K » Mon May 20, 2024 7:36 am

Grang33r wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

I still don't know what Mathurin's peak potential can be for this team? Pacers team could really be loaded next season. They'll have options and flexibility to run several different lineups and schemes.

idk either?... His fit next to Tyrese hasn't been good. But, when he's played down at the 3 (which he has the size, strength to do), it becomes much better. His fit with TJ, on the second unit, has been excellent. So?... Could he be that 'Vinnie microwave Johnson' guy AND a defensive stopper off the bench? Can he adjust to playing from the low-wing? I just don't know?

I do know that he is respected for his work ethic, his effort to learn,... and as a person,.. players have said as much. Just don't know what he can be here? or if he needs a different style / team make up to continue to grow his game?

If he does become either the bench scorer, or the starting 3 (which would put Nesmith coming off the bench in that role),... they I agree with you,.. this team is going to be DEEP. Starting from how they are playing right now,.. in this playoffs,.. you put a healthy, in sync with the team Mathurin in the second unit, with TJ,... we could go from 90mph to 110 mph just by going to our bench?

(Add into that the improvements we've seen from I-Jax, learning to use his speed as well as his vertical, and play with aggression,... just dam,... this is going to be fun.)
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#26 » by Tom White » Mon May 20, 2024 12:07 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Add into that the improvements we've seen from I-Jax, learning to use his speed as well as his vertical, and play with aggression,... just dam,... this is going to be fun.

I was really happy for him in this series, tempered only by feeling a bit sorry for Jalen Smith. Wish there was a way to get both of them some minutes, but I don't know how possible that is.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#27 » by JMaster5K » Mon May 20, 2024 1:11 pm

Tom White wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Add into that the improvements we've seen from I-Jax, learning to use his speed as well as his vertical, and play with aggression,... just dam,... this is going to be fun.

I was really happy for him in this series, tempered only by feeling a bit sorry for Jalen Smith. Wish there was a way to get both of them some minutes, but I don't know how possible that is.

Yeah,... I don't know what's up with Stix? No idea?.... Haven't heard anything, but so far he's played in 5 games for 35 minutes outta the 13 games we've played in the playoffs?

In game 4 vs the Knicks,.. he played 10:26 and put up 7 points on 2/2, 1/1, 2/2 shooting, 3 reb, 1 ast, 1stl, 1 blk, 0 TO, 0 fouls, for a -8 +/-?.... He's played 7:41 since. There was some speculation in the Buck's series that he wasn't playing due to matchups,.. that Portis, Giannis, & Lopez were just too big & strong to bang into,... so they were playing more from movement on the perimeter which fits I-Jax better than Stix. I suppose that makes some sense,... but Stix still didn't really play in the series vs the Knicks?

Could just be matchups?... I guess?..... o0
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,247

Post#28 » by Wizop » Mon May 20, 2024 2:21 pm

Grang33r wrote:I was one of the most outspoken against Duarte on here i remember. The thing that bothered me most was his draft age.

I remember that argument, but haven't Nemhard and Sheppard shown the value of drafting players with more years of college experience? They were ready to contribute as rookies and Duarte was too.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#29 » by Grang33r » Tue May 21, 2024 12:41 am

Wizop wrote:
Grang33r wrote:I remember that argument, but haven't Nemhard and Sheppard shown the value of drafting players with more years of college experience? They were ready to contribute as rookies and Duarte was too.

Sure, but Duarte was older and also he went 13th overall, not late first or 33rd.

Also, if i recall the other issue was Duarte being a one-year wonder. Shooting %, 3PT% and PPG all went way up when he was much older then anyone else on the court. Just didn't feel it.

Return to Indiana Pacers