Buddy Hield Trade Rumors, Thoughts, Analysis?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Re: Buddy Hield Trade Rumors, Thoughts, Analysis? 

Post#61 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:41 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Some kind of 3-way where the Pacers get Jerami Grant, Team C gets Hield, and Portland gets some filler salary from Team C, an asset from Team C, and maybe an asset from the Pacers (like Jackson?)

I mean, I’m so hard up for a “big forward that can defend” that I’d give up one of our firsts in this draft. I’m also not insanely hot on this 2024 draft. I don’t think his contract is terrible, and it runs through his age 33 season, and he’s not quite yet 30, so he should age ok. He’s also locked in for 3-4 more years after this one.

If Buddy's expiring contract were replaced with a long term deal, I'd give up our lower first so we wouldn't need two rookie roster spots.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 177

Post#62 » by JMaster5K » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:57 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Some kind of 3-way where the Pacers get Jerami Grant, Team C gets Hield, and Portland gets some filler salary from Team C, an asset from Team C, and maybe an asset from the Pacers (like Jackson?)

I mean, I’m so hard up for a “big forward that can defend” that I’d give up one of our firsts in this draft. I’m also not insanely hot on this 2024 draft. I don’t think his contract is terrible, and it runs through his age 33 season, and he’s not quite yet 30, so he should age ok. He’s also locked in for 3-4 more years after this one.

I'm with ya on the big forward that can defend. There should be at least a couple on the market later in the year & going into the offseason who could fit the Pacers short-term at a minimum (like Grant). If both our picks next year are after the lottery, I can't see adding two more develop pieces to this roster without first clearing space & time. All of which would make me believe we are likely to consolidate players and picks to either move up next year, or move further out in years (or both), to try to get a better return, and hopefully a big 4 that can defend.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#63 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:15 pm

Before trading for or signing a long term 4, I think we need to first find out what we have in Walker

In theory he is the big defensive forward that we're looking for

Trading for someone like Grant or offering someone a long term starter contract in free agency more or less locks Walker out of being our staring 4?

I get that Walker hasn't earned the minutes so far, but there's no reason why they couldn't find a steady 8 mpg or so for him so far
Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 359

Post#64 » by Helsbyte » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Before trading for or signing a long term 4, I think we need to first find out what we have in Walker

Trading for someone like Grant or offering someone a long term starter contract in free agency more or less locks Walker out of being our staring 4?

I get that Walker hasn't earned the minutes so far, but there's no reason why they couldn't find a steady 8 mpg or so for him so far

I think OG would be the perfect player to pick up with his ability to play both F spots. But I am not a fan of having to potentially pay him 35-40M to resign him.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:06 pm

Helsbyte wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Before trading for or signing a long term 4, I think we need to first find out what we have in Walker

I think OG would be the perfect player to pick up with his ability to play both F spots. But I am not a fan of having to potentially pay him 35-40M to resign him.

OG's been on a tear defensively, so he definitely looks like a great addition

But like you said, he's about to get real expensive. I don't think we can commit to a second max contract yet, unless it's for a second star to pair with Haliburton

I think that's the priority right now, finding a second star for Haliburton

In the mean time, it's probably better to maintain cap space flexibility, to either resign our guys as needed or so that we can be opportunistic on the trade market
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,186

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:41 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

If Buddy's expiring contract were replaced with a long term deal, I'd give up our lower first so we wouldn't need two rookie roster spots.

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'm with ya on the big forward that can defend. There should be at least a couple on the market later in the year & going into the offseason who could fit the Pacers short-term at a minimum (like Grant). If both our picks next year are after the lottery, I can't see adding two more develop pieces to this roster without first clearing space & time. All of which would make me believe we are likely to consolidate players and picks to either move up next year, or move further out in years (or both), to try to get a better return, and hopefully a big 4 that can defend.

I’d be happy to trade completely out of this draft right now, if it got us a big forward. I’m ok taking one year off of the first round, as we’ve done well lately and are starting to fill out the roster. With Jackson, Mathurin, Nembhard, Walker, and Sheppard still on their rookie contracts next year, and Haliburton and Nesmith starting their rookie contract extensions, we’ve got a bit of a backlog and could stand to space out those rookie contracts for one year.

I see a big forward as a great addition to pair with Walker long term. A guy like Jerami Grant or OG Anunoby can play either the 3 or 4 offensively and defensively, and would still allow a lot of room for Walker to play and grow, while not blocking the spot. Bruce Brown is only signed for this year and next, so there’s not a real blockage, per se.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#67 » by JMaster5K » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
I’d be happy to trade completely out of this draft right now, if it got us a big forward. I’m ok taking one year off of the first round, as we’ve done well lately and are starting to fill out the roster. With Jackson, Mathurin, Nembhard, Walker, and Sheppard still on their rookie contracts next year, and Haliburton and Nesmith starting their rookie contract extensions, we’ve got a bit of a backlog and could stand to space out those rookie contracts for one year.

Agree completely. At the moment, the 2024 draft looks like a number of players that could develop, but nobody who is really ready to make a difference in the first or likely even the second year. Drafting someone this year, particularly outside the first half of the lottery, really only makes sense if we were gonna draft, say a backup 5, to develop for 2 - 3 years before we expect anything,. and then only if Stix & I-Jax have already been moved or fallen out of the plans completely. If either of them proves they belong, long term, this draft just doesn't hold much for us.

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I see a big forward as a great addition to pair with Walker long term. A guy like Jerami Grant or OG Anunoby can play either the 3 or 4 offensively and defensively, and would still allow a lot of room for Walker to play and grow, while not blocking the spot. Bruce Brown is only signed for this year and next, so there’s not a real blockage, per se.

Yeah,. I've said it before,.. LOL (y'all are probably tired of it,.. ) Walker really should develop into a combo-forward with more minutes at the 3 than the 4. He essentially tied Cam Whitmore in all the athletic measurables at the combine except vertical, weighing in at 248, when Whitmore was at like 228.

He's been losing weight & getting fitter. He just doesn't have the reach to be a full time, classic 4 in the NBA. A stretch 4 = yes. A Carlisle power 3 = yes. But, it's gonna take him a bit extra time to make those kind of developments. A true, defensive 4,.. particularly one that can play now, or close to now, could actually speed up his development.

Grant would be a excellent fit. OG would seem to be a particularly good fit. He (like Grant) has legit 4 length, and the versatility to play 3 or 4, on both end of the court. He and Walker could just be 'forwards' and play off each other depending on what the defense gives, without giving up anything while on defense. OG hasn't been much of a rebounder so far, but the combination of he and Myles, and Jarace could be pretty effective long term?

I mean, it's impossible, but the way he is playing this year, I would love to see Scottie Barnes as a full time 4, in this offense and defense, with Hali at the point, and a skillful connector / handler like Walker at the other wing. Unfortunately, Barnes is as close to untouchable as you can get at the moment. =/
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I mean, Grant's turning 30

If we're ok with committing long term to Grant, we might as well shoot for Siakam

As for OG, he's a good fit, but he'll be looking for the max. As a team we can probably afford two max contracts. Haliburton's one. Are we so sure we want to commit the second max slot to OG?

JMaster5K wrote:Grant would be a excellent fit. OG would seem to be a particularly good fit. He (like Grant) has legit 4 length, and the versatility to play 3 or 4, on both end of the court. He and Walker could just be 'forwards' and play off each other depending on what the defense gives, without giving up anything while on defense. OG hasn't been much of a rebounder so far, but the combination of he and Myles, and Jarace could be pretty effective long term?

I mean, it's impossible, but the way he is playing this year, I would love to see Scottie Barnes as a full time 4, in this offense and defense, with Hali at the point, and a skillful connector / handler like Walker at the other wing. Unfortunately, Barnes is as close to untouchable as you can get at the moment. =/

My preference would be to remain patient and develop Walker, and to a lesser extent Toppin and Jackson

Toppin's going to be a RFA though, so we'll need to decide very quickly whether to retain him or not

As for Jackson, he seemed effective playing together with Smith, so that's given me hope that he could be our long term 4. He still has one more year after this one, we'll see

But if we really want to look into acquiring outside talent, then I think Tari Eason is someone we should monitor. He's a big defensive 4 and he seems stuck behind Jabari Smith for now

How many picks do we have in this draft? I wouldn't mind throwing some or all of them at Rockets for Eason, maybe
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:40 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I mean, Grant's turning 30

If we're ok with committing long term to Grant, we might as well shoot for Siakam

Why would you say that? Grant can be got for filler and a low value pick or something. Siakam will take Walker, good filler, and a good first or two. That’s an entirely different ballgame of value and building wise.

But if we really want to look into acquiring outside talent, then I think Tari Eason is someone we should monitor. He's a big defensive 4 and he seems stuck behind Jabari Smith for now

How many picks do we have in this draft? I wouldn't mind throwing some or all of them at Rockets for Eason, maybe

Eason is in the second year of a rookie contract. I don’t think they have any need of moving him for a couple years.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#70 » by JMaster5K » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

Hey,... I'm with you on Eason. He's a defense first, rebounding, big 4, with a really complimentary offensive game. He's one of those 'couple' that I think might become available, as you said, sitting behind Smith. Eventually they will have to pay Smith, which may make Eason more available.

Eason also has the ball skills & outside shot to fit very nicely with Hali, and Walker both now, and as alongside Walker if he develops. Eason is as long as OG, more mobile, almost as good a defender now,. and much better rebounder.

If both our picks fall where they are currently projected, I'd trade both for Tari.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#71 » by Dude-niagara » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:58 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Helsbyte wrote:

But like you said, he's about to get real expensive. I don't think we can commit to a second max contract yet, unless it's for a second star to pair with Haliburton

In the mean time, it's probably better to maintain cap space flexibility, to either resign our guys as needed or so that we can be opportunistic on the trade market

Raptors are not trading OG and will easily give him 40 million plus to resign, Siakam is both available and does not fit well next to Barnes. They are massive overlaps while OG is a great pairing with Barnes
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,230

Post#72 » by Zeno » Fri Dec 1, 2023 1:33 pm

I wouldn't declare that Raptors aren't willing to trade OG as I have clue what they plan to do. I think it is safe to assume, they'd want a lot in return for an expiring contract and that makes it tough. I do wonder with the Pacers under the cap if he might be able to be extended this season if traded for by the Pacers like they did with Turner last year and whether that would make them more willing to offer more than other teams. Assuming they made a dollar for dollar trade for him with the Raptors, could they bump up his number this year by 9 million with capspace and then offer him up to 140 percent increase on extension or this that prohibited after trade?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Dec 1, 2023 2:45 pm

Zeno wrote:I wouldn't declare that Raptors aren't willing to trade OG as I have clue what they plan to do. I think it is safe to assume, they'd want a lot in return for an expiring contract and that makes it tough. I do wonder with the Pacers under the cap if he might be able to be extended this season if traded for by the Pacers like they did with Turner last year and whether that would make them more willing to offer more than other teams. Assuming they made a dollar for dollar trade for him with the Raptors, could they bump up his number this year by 9 million with capspace and then offer him up to 140 percent increase on extension or this that prohibited after trade?

He would be beholden to extend and trade rules for 6 months, and you can’t renegotiate a contract after March 1 (as well as for 6 months after a trade). At this point, only Toronto could renegotiate and extend him, but they’d have to clear a ton of cap space.

Dude-niagara wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Helsbyte wrote:

Raptors are not trading OG and will easily give him 40 million plus to resign, Siakam is both available and does not fit well next to Barnes. They are massive overlaps while OG is a great pairing with Barnes

Very well may. However, OG is an unrestricted free agent, so it may not be as simple to just say “Masai will re sign him for….” Someone could max him. Someone could offer him an upgrade in offensive roles. He could get an offer to live somewhere he wants to move to. Who knows. It’s unrestricted free agency, so anything could happen.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Topofthekey » Fri Dec 1, 2023 6:21 pm

Dude-niagara wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Helsbyte wrote:

I personally have no interest in OG nor Siakam

I was actually explaining to the other poster that Pacers shouldn't target OG
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#75 » by JMaster5K » Fri Dec 1, 2023 6:49 pm

After reading these posts (thank you one and all),.. I guess in the short term, I'd like to see I-Jax get more run at the 4. His skillset seems to fit better behind Toppin than it did behind Stix at the 4. Let's just see what he can do?

I'd really like to see someone like a Jonathan Isaac, pre-injury as our 4. There just aren't any. Closest we could get would be Barnes (not gonna happen), or Eason. There's another group of unknowns after those 2,.. Sochan in San Antonio (game overlaps with Wemby), Leonard Miller in Minnie (2nd rounder still very raw), Taylor Hendricks in Utah (stuck behind others), JJ in Atl, even TimeLord in Portland, all of whom have significant questions, but could fit? Just can't see it worthwhile to make any of the later type moves now?
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,298

Post#76 » by Spates » Fri Dec 8, 2023 12:43 am

Go and win! I think Haliburton can make all 3 of OG, Trent, and Precious look splendid. I imagine OG would stay. Precious is an FRA, and GTJ just wants a fair offer. Plus I think you could use the size and defensive upgrade.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#77 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 8, 2023 12:57 am

I can't see us trading anyone and risking destroying chemistry. Only Sheppard and Nwora are sitting. We do however have an open roster spot
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 958

Post#78 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 8, 2023 1:24 am

Yeah, no thanks Spates. That is an awful trade.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Dec 8, 2023 1:42 am

Spates wrote:Image

Go and win! I think Haliburton can make all 3 of OG, Trent, and Precious look splendid. I imagine OG would stay. Precious is an FRA, and GTJ just wants a fair offer. Plus I think you could use the size and defensive upgrade.

Yeah, we’re not dealing Walker, Sheppard, Buddy, AND McConnell (holy cow, and 2 1sts?) for OG. Would rather keep Buddy than swap him for Trent. And no need for Achiuwa with Isaiah Jackson here. You have Indy paying full price for both OG AND Siakam, but only getting OG, somehow.

We have the cap space to salary match OG with McConnell and Nwora. I’d deal 3 1sts with that package, so long as 2 of the 1sts are our 2024 1sts we own. Top 5 protect the 2026 1st. If that type of deal doesn’t intrigue you, if we’re confident in Sheppard stepping up, we might be able to do Buddy, Nembhard, and our worst 2024 1st for OG. If neither works, it’s probably just not in the cards?
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,298

Post#80 » by Spates » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:45 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spates wrote:Image

Yeah, we’re not dealing Walker, Sheppard, Buddy, AND McConnell (holy cow, and 2 1sts?) for OG. Would rather keep Buddy than swap him for Trent. And no need for Achiuwa with Isaiah Jackson here. You have Indy paying full price for both OG AND Siakam, but only getting OG, somehow.

We have the cap space to salary match OG with McConnell and Nwora. I’d deal 3 1sts with that package, so long as 2 of the 1sts are our 2024 1sts we own. Top 5 protect the 2026 1st. If that type of deal doesn’t intrigue you, if we’re confident in Sheppard stepping up, we might be able to do Buddy, Nembhard, and our worst 2024 1st for OG. If neither works, it’s probably just not in the cards?

I think you're valuing potential over contributions. If you have a star you can't simply wait for talent to develop around them. Trying to replicate OKC may not have the same outcome. OG and Trent will look great alongside a guard like Haliburton. And Precious would have it easy. Haliburton needs play finishers around him. OG and Precious would massively improve your defense.

You'd be trading an SG unlikely to return, a pg without a role, two rookies that don't currently play, and two picks. Not bad for 3 guys that can play around Haliburton now. Good players want to play with stars. I bet you'd could keep all 3.

Don't overvalue your assets. Toronto would be elite with Haliburton instead of Schroeder.

Return to Indiana Pacers