I'm looking for a little info on your team

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: I'm looking for a little info on your team 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:08 pm

since this is a thread about story lines, I probably should leave the Hill question as a story line and move on; however, those who say he is the worst are ignoring both his defense and our scheme.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#22 » by boomershadow » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm trying to make this sound as little like I'm hopping on "omg San Antonio team basketball is back w00t" train as possible.

But the Pacers have some pretty good pieces and pretty good players, and it's been that way for a few years now. I think Hill can have more success at Point Guard than he's yet to show. But what we lack this year even more than the years before (with Lance gone) is that instant offense that can just get us some points when we absolutely need them. If we can find a way to get our pieces to work together just a little better, I think we'll still be a real contender next year.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#23 » by 8305 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 am

Boneman2 wrote:Actually the season Hill took over for Collison he did set a career high in assists at 2.9 per game. Then after Lance was inserted into the starting lineup Hill set a new career high @ 4.7. This past season he regressed to 3.5 per, but it was still his second best season to date.

Just because Lance was/is a ball-hog, it had nothing to do with Hill mishandling the ball. People on the general board are calling him the absolute worst starting point guard in the league. We need to put Hill as far away from initiating the offense as humanly possible.

My recollection of the 2011/2012 season Collison held the starting pg for 3/4 of the year. Probably 1/2 the year AJ Price got the backup minutes with George Hill getting backup minutes at sg. I don't think you are being entirely fair to Hill citing his relatively low assist number for that year. Taking that line of thought a little further in 2012/2013 Lance largely played off the ball for most of that season. In 2013/2014 both Paul George and Lance Steohenson were expanding their offensive games in a big way. George Hill struggled with that IMO. Bottom line in assessing George Hilk's performance over the last three years a true apples to apples comparison is difficult because the dynamics of the team was pretty different.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#24 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 5:29 am

So, some massive changes going down with Paul George. Anyone want to take a stab at the new depth chart?

Here is my thinking.

PG - Hill, Watson, Sloan
SG - Stuckey, ?
SF - Miles, Hill, Rudez
PF - West, Scola, Allen, Copeland
C - Hibbert, Mahinmi, Whittington

I don't know. Do you guys? Have any idea if a rebuild is coming or if the Pacers will just try to sign a swingman and soldier on? It's very sad this an injury is the main story line for you folks. You have my sympathy.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#25 » by Moooose » Thu Aug 7, 2014 5:43 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:So, some massive changes going down with Paul George. Anyone want to take a stab at the new depth chart?

Here is my thinking.

PG - Hill, Watson, Sloan
SG - Stuckey, ?
SF - Miles, Hill, Rudez
PF - West, Scola, Allen, Copeland
C - Hibbert, Mahinmi, Whittington

I don't know. Do you guys? Have any idea if a rebuild is coming or if the Pacers will just try to sign a swingman and soldier on? It's very sad this an injury is the main story line for you folks. You have my sympathy.

My thinking on the depth chart:

PG = G. Hill / Watson / Sloan
SG = Stuckey / Miles / S. Hill
SF = S. Hill / Miles / Rudez / Copeland
PF = West / Scola / Copeland / Rudez
C = Hibbert / Mahinmi / Whittington

Larry will most likely add another player at the SF spot, either a reserve to make the depth better or a starter. If it is a reserve, I hope it is someone bigger than CJ Miles and quicker than Copeland.

If it is a starter, I hope he comes in cheap and ready to prove himself. The opportunity to try to take on Paul's role in the offense is massive. More than a defender, this team now needs a legit scorer.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#26 » by Wizop » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:13 pm

Moooose wrote:The opportunity to try to take on Paul's role in the offense is massive. More than a defender, this team now needs a legit scorer.

The door is open for Roy.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by 8305 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:19 pm

Look for George Hill to get the same offensive responsibility as the likes of Parker, Lillard, Westbrook (15 to 20 shots per game). I see Solomon Hill starting too. He was drafted as a 3 and d type player, might as well find out if he is. Stuckey probably serves as the sub for both CJ Miles and Solo who will man the sf and sg positions.

pg G. Hill, CJ Watson
sg CJ Miles, R. Stuckey
sf S. Hill, CJ Miles
pf D. West, L. Scola (on a short leash)
c R. Hibbert, I Mahamni

Chris Copeland or Damjin Rudez could play into this at the sf and pf spots.
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by 8305 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:The opportunity to try to take on Paul's role in the offense is massive. More than a defender, this team now needs a legit scorer.

I'll be surprised if Roy becomes the focal point of the offense. Can he work certain matchups? Sure. But, if the offense is slowed down and ball movement is curtailed to make Roy the number 1 option we've got really big scoring problems. He's simply not a natural offensive player. What I would hope to see from him is filling the rebounding vacuum created by the loss of Paul and Lance while continuing to guard the rim. 10-12 p/g, 10-12 r/g and 3-4 b/g would be great as far as I'm concerned.

I think the more likely path to some level of offensive success lies in giving George Hill alot more leyway to create his own offense. I don't think there are very many pg's in the league who could handle George if we actually ran a lot of action to create scoring opportunities for him. His natural instinct is to look to score, this year he can finally play to it.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#29 » by Moooose » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:45 am

Wizop wrote:

Problem is either he's too huge to fit into that door, or he'll have anxiety issues passing through.

Roy can be a good contributor on offense but I would not count on him to be the primary go to guy.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#30 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:21 am

"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#31 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:18 pm

I'll take the under on 39 wins. I like George Hill and all, but good Lord, he is the Pacers' best perimeter player. That right there is a recipe for about a 30-win team.

Maybe 35 if their pride kicks in and West isn't on another team by March.

Return to Indiana Pacers