OFFICIAL: Pacers sign Monta Ellis 4/$44m

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: Pacers near 3/$32m deal with Monta Ellis 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:21 pm

everything has changed since the Lance negotiation. can't compare prices from year to year. is he wanted in his new location or did they just take him to make the salaries work? I think I'd rather trade for Lance then bid for Ellis.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Looking good with Monta Ellis 

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote: I sure hope there is room to sign Stuckey too. (and Allen and Whittington and etc)

A Monta Ellis signing means 100% that Stuckey is gone. Using cap space to sign Monta means we don't have the full MLE or BAE, but rather one smaller room exception (starts around $3m, and we get it only after we've used our cap space). Unless Stuckey strikes out everywhere else and then circles back around and is willing to take less, again, and get a smaller role this year than last, with Ellis on board, he's gone. Whittington's a minimum guy, so he's not effected. Allen's not effected either as we have full bird rights on him, and his cap hold is so small we don't have to renounce him to use the cap space. Scola has to be renounced. West, Copeland, and Watson, too. So, to keep any of those guys, we'd have to use cap room, or the room exception.

As for Ellis? I'm worried. He's a fine enough player in theory. He fills a hole as a guy that can create offense (though not always efficiently). It worries me for other reasons. Dallas is now the 3rd team he's been essentially pushed to leave. Bird trusts and respects Carlisle's opinion, yet won't trust that Carlisle is done with the guy for a reason? Add in West, the heady, strong veteran voice in the locker room leaving, and Roy, the mercurial, quiet, moody locker room guy staying, and adding more moody, tough to be around voices in the locker room like Monta seems like a disaster waiting to happen. He's also not an effective 3 pt shooter, so now, to minimize our team holes, we're likely going to have to put the ball in Monta's hands a lot, and ask George Hill to stand in the corner shooting 3's again; negating the positive play he put up after Lance left and he no longer had to defer.

Monta is not a Pacer yet is he?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Re: Looking good with Monta Ellis 

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:44 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote: I sure hope there is room to sign Stuckey too. (and Allen and Whittington and etc)

A Monta Ellis signing means 100% that Stuckey is gone. Using cap space to sign Monta means we don't have the full MLE or BAE, but rather one smaller room exception (starts around $3m, and we get it only after we've used our cap space). Unless Stuckey strikes out everywhere else and then circles back around and is willing to take less, again, and get a smaller role this year than last, with Ellis on board, he's gone. Whittington's a minimum guy, so he's not effected. Allen's not effected either as we have full bird rights on him, and his cap hold is so small we don't have to renounce him to use the cap space. Scola has to be renounced. West, Copeland, and Watson, too. So, to keep any of those guys, we'd have to use cap room, or the room exception.

As for Ellis? I'm worried. He's a fine enough player in theory. He fills a hole as a guy that can create offense (though not always efficiently). It worries me for other reasons. Dallas is now the 3rd team he's been essentially pushed to leave. Bird trusts and respects Carlisle's opinion, yet won't trust that Carlisle is done with the guy for a reason? Add in West, the heady, strong veteran voice in the locker room leaving, and Roy, the mercurial, quiet, moody locker room guy staying, and adding more moody, tough to be around voices in the locker room like Monta seems like a disaster waiting to happen. He's also not an effective 3 pt shooter, so now, to minimize our team holes, we're likely going to have to put the ball in Monta's hands a lot, and ask George Hill to stand in the corner shooting 3's again; negating the positive play he put up after Lance left and he no longer had to defer.

Monta is not a Pacer yet is he?

No, but the fact that he cancelled his other visits and is flying his entire family to Indy leads me to believe it's essentially a foregone conclusion.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:54 pm

:-? Where's my Magic Eight Ball?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:57 pm

Ok here's what I'm thinking if we sign Ellis to this deal 3yr $32 million and it doesn't work out, with the cap blowing up next year that deal isn't gonna look too bad. So with only 2 yrs left on his deal it shouldn't be too terribly hard to move him and get something.

I would have liked to have seen Stuckey back, with Allen and Sloan, maybe 2 outta 3 ain't bad as Meat Loaf said.
Crunky
Junior
And1: 70

Post#26 » by Crunky » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:12 pm

Its better to sign good players and fill holes now than when the cap blows up everyone will have capspace and the need fill holes.
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Pacers near 3/$32m deal with Monta Ellis 

Post#27 » by mikepacernation » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:07 pm

I may be the only one but bring on monta Ellis!! I've always liked him as a player can really light the score board up which is what this team needs

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#28 » by EuroPacer » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:43 pm

I would love this. Yes Monta is marmite but he is also fearless and a go-to guy that can distract opponents from PG13. This would be a very smart signing in my opinion, especially if it is for 3 years - that way we can add pieces next year and the year after.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#29 » by glasket » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:47 pm

Doesn't Monta need the ball in his hands a lot? If he is on the starting 5 that takes the ball away from PG and Hill. If Monta is a second unit guy like Stuckey was (even if he gets first unit minutes) I'm ok. Otherwise I don't really see this as a logical deal

mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#30 » by mikepacernation » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:39 pm

glasket wrote:Doesn't Monta need the ball in his hands a lot? If he is on the starting 5 that takes the ball away from PG and Hill. If Monta is a second unit guy like Stuckey was (even if he gets first unit minutes) I'm ok. Otherwise I don't really see this as a logical deal

imo I prefer monta to have the ball in his hand rather then Hill he's a lot better then hill on the offensive side.

chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#31 » by chatard5 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:10 pm

What do you guys think our starting 5 will be? Obviously there's a lot to be determined with Scola, Allen, and everything else.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#32 » by boomershadow » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:17 am

If we use up a ton of our capspace signing Ellis we probably wont have much choice but to bring back a frontcourt we have bird rights on.

Something like..

G. Hill / Vet PG? / Young
Miles / Ellis
George / S. Hill / Rudez
Scola / Allen / George
Hibbert / Mahinmi / Allen

Edit: i forgot about Turner. Idk anything anymore.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#33 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:28 am

chatard5 wrote:What do you guys think our starting 5 will be? Obviously there's a lot to be determined with Scola, Allen, and everything else.

It might be nice to get Scola back but I want Allen signed, I think with playing time he could be a real steal.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#34 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:52 am

boomershadow wrote:If we use up a ton of our capspace signing Ellis we probably wont have much choice but to bring back a frontcourt we have bird rights on.

Something like..

G. Hill / Vet PG? / Young
Miles / Ellis
George / S. Hill / Rudez
Scola / Allen / George
Hibbert / Mahinmi / Allen

Edit: i forgot about Turner. Idk anything anymore.

I don't think Bird isn't paying a 6th man $10m a year. Its just not how he rolls.

G. Hill - (FA) - Young
Ellis - Miles
George - S. Hill - Rudez
(FA) - Scola - Allen - Turner
Hibbert - Mahinmi - Turner

Yes, I'm guessing that our starting 4 for next season isn't currently on our roster.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:27 am

We can't both sign Ellis using cap space and maintain Bird rights on Scola. His cap hold is $9m which eliminates almost all our cap space.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#36 » by SaintofKillers » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:33 am

I really have a hard time picturing a team where Monta would work; certainly not you guys.

Monta needs the ball in his hands to be effective; this cannot be stressed enough. And when it's there, bad things usually happen. You'll either get a bricked 20-footer, a turnover from bad decision making or blowing by his defender with his lightning quick first step only to take a 10-foot floater or a contorting layup because he doesn't want to get hit - which he then misses badly and glares at the ref for a call.

Undersized SGs that have an aversion to defense (seriously, he doesn't even try!) or doesn't do anything other than score SHOULD be sixth men by default. Unfortunately for Ellis, his pride is too fragile for that; he'll pout majorly. But I guess for $11-million/year that's worth putting up with.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:36 am

My prayers have been answered: the Kings can outbid Indy for Ellis. This is very, very good news.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:43 am

Also, we should get in on this and actively help Sacto get Ellis by taking Darren Collison back for a 2nd. If they're in on Rondo and as high on McCallum as they're suspected of being, Collison is surplus. At $5m per he would be an ideal back-up to Hill, and possibly even as starter on occasion.

I always liked DC though, not sure he'd feel the same about coming back to Indy.
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#39 » by pacers33 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:49 am

I'd love to have DC back. I don't want Ellis though, meh.
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#40 » by MNPacersfan » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:52 am

As it looks like Mavs will strike out on centers...
s+t Ellis from the Mavs to the Pacers for Hibbert's last year?
It would open up some additional cap space to continue the hole filling that's needed.

Return to Indiana Pacers