Official: Hibbert traded to Lakers

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Re: (Mostly) Official: Hibbert traded to Lakers 

Post#61 » by xBulletproof » Sun Jul 5, 2015 6:07 pm

From Conrad Brunner:

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/brunos-blog/pacers-hibbert-both-get-what-they-need

Hibbert chose to become malignant. The pall he cast over the locker room every … single … night … was palpable. The energy he sapped from the court every … single … night … was singularly destructive.

I think people ignore that Hibbert pulled out of every connection he had to Indy after the season. No more area 55, no more hosting of the charity softball game he was a staple at for years. He was done, and wanted out, I've had no doubts about that for a while.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#62 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 5, 2015 7:31 pm

^^ Nice read. I've always valued Bruno's words. Big fan of his.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#63 » by xBulletproof » Sun Jul 5, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm guessing this is why we've had such a hard time pegging exactly what's involved in this trade. The actual cap isn't set until the 8th. That number will determine what we receive. If the cap is high enough they don't need to send us players to sign Lou Williams, or if it's too low it all changes. I'm guessing they have multiple deals setup in any case.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/617835050185457664[/tweet]
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#64 » by No-Man » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:02 am

Seems like Kelly and Young will head to Indy in the Hibbert trade, that sounds like George playing a ton at the PF.

Hill/Stuckey/Young
Ellis/Young
Miles/Hill
George/Rudez/Kelly
Mahinmi/Allen/Turner
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#65 » by xBulletproof » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:11 am

Fischella wrote:Seems like Kelly and Young will head to Indy in the Hibbert trade, that sounds like George playing a ton at the PF.

Hill/Stuckey/Young
Ellis/Young
Miles/Hill
George/Rudez/Kelly
Mahinmi/Allen/Turner

I don't think that's the case at all, if you're referring to the Woj tweet. At least Nick Young. The Hibbert trade and Nick Young being unloaded are separate in the tweet. If it was FOR Hibbert, why wouldn't it just say that? Pretty sure it's talking about Young being unloaded elsewhere to fit in their moves.

**EDIT** See, found this after posting. People need to work on their reading comprehension. I've seen this misconception everywhere.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/617846325908869120[/tweet]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:42 am

Fischella wrote:Seems like Kelly and Young will head to Indy in the Hibbert trade, that sounds like George playing a ton at the PF.

Hill/Stuckey/Young
Ellis/Young
Miles/Hill
George/Rudez/Kelly
Mahinmi/Allen/Turner

Unless Clarkson or Randle are involved, Young isn't included. That's a bad contract, on a poor team player.
chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#67 » by chatard5 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:59 am

Ok, so I feel like I know the salary cap and luxury tax alright, but there are frequent large changes so I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Also, my post is very long, so I am breaking it up into a few posts in case anyone wants to quote it but doesn't want to include all 1200 words that I wrote.

1) What are you guys expecting the trade to be? Let’s say it is just a 2nd rounder or 2 and money from one of the sides, likely the Lakers, for Hibbert. That means the Pacers would get a $15.5 million trade exception, correct?

But for the Lakers to be able to take on Hibbert for no players they would have to be able to add him to the roster and still be under the cap after doing so, right? According to Hoopshype the Lakers were at $37.7 million heading into the offseason with 9 players under contract. After you add D’Angelo Russell ($5 mill) and Lou Williams ($7 mill) the Lakers are at $49.7 million with 11 players under contract.

The cap is $67.1 million. Adding Roy’s $15.5 to the Lakers $49.7 and that makes them just under the cap at $65.2. But they would still only have 12 players under contract. Not to mention that the Lakers signed Brandon Bass. I didn’t see what he is being paid or if it has even been announced, but I am sure that it is over $2 million. I may have forgotten about another deal that the Lakers did this offseason, but according to my calculations they’re over the salary cap either way. So the Lakers would have to make a move and cut salary, likely Nick Young, in order for the Pacers to get a trade exception, if I’m not mistaken.
chatard5
Analyst

Post#68 » by chatard5 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:00 am

The Pacers need a PF, so I thought about how it’d be possible to get Jordan Hill from the Lakers in a sign-and-trade. I am not 100% on this, but a player can be sign-and-traded with a trade exception for another player, correct? It doesn’t have to be just the exception (and picks or whatever) on one side and a player(s) on the other side. How would the S&T change things? I’m sure Jordan Hill would demand more than the max MLE. Therefore I will assume that it is something like 4/$28. If we need to make it the max MLE then let’s do that for hypotheticals and all of that. That would mean we would get Jordan Hill, picks, and a trade exception (for $15.5 minus whatever Jordan Hill would be next year-I assumed $7 mill-which leaves $8.5 million).

2) So I am going to assume that the Lakers made a move to lower their salary so they can take Roy and give up no salary. Or maybe they include a player currently on their roster and make it a 3-team deal. Now this could be 2 separate deals or a 3-way trade, but what about the Pacers giving up Roy and getting David Lee? Their contracts match up, so I believe it is just dependent on the Lakers either moving someone before this trade or in this trade. I don’t think GWS wants to and possibly cannot afford to take back much in a trade. It seems like they would just give David Lee away to any team that can take him, and they may even include a pick to do so (I would still take a top 20 protected pick which would likely be 25-30). The Warriors would save $15.5 million along with whatever fees for being over the tax.
According to Hoopshype, the Pacers salary payroll for 2015/16 was $51.3 heading into free agency, with 8 players under contract. I don’t believe that they’ve announced how much each year is worth in the Monta and Stuckey deals. They likely go up each year, especially since the cap goes up so much-or else that wasn’t very smart on the part of the front office (unless there is some rule I don’t know about, of course). So Monta will make an average of $11/year, but next season it could be something closer to $10-10.5. Then we also add in Stuckey at an average of $7/year (maybe only 6.5 next year), Lavoy at $4 and Myles Turner who should get about $2.8 million next year. That total $24.8 million, but it likely something more like $23.5 million next year. We also lose Roy’s $15.5 and I have us adding about $12 mill. That makes our roster 11 players at about $63.3 million if I’m not mistaken-roughly 4 million under the cap with 4 players still needing to be signed-especially a PF.
chatard5
Analyst

Post#69 » by chatard5 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:02 am

The luxury tax is at $81.6, I believe. This is where I get even more confused… So we are just believe the salary cap but still need to fill out the roster, including 1 player who by himself could put us over the tax. I’m not sure of the rules of how you’re allowed to go over the cap. Isn’t there something like you can’t go over an amount unless you’re signing a player you have the Bird rights to? So if we are at $63.3 million, how much could we add? I know Simon won’t go into the tax, but I wonder if this year is different at all since next summer the cap goes up so much.

The player I have in mind, like many of you have posted, is David Lee. He makes $15.5, which would make our total $78.8. So we are still under the tax and would have 12 players. We could sign Joe Young and a couple other guys for under $1 million each and be under the tax.

According to Hoopshype they were at $83.4 million with 14 players under contract. That is with Draymond Green making $2.75 on his qualifying offer and not factoring in the new 5/$85 contract. So with him making $13/year, that’s an additional $10 mill (or maybe a little less since I am sure the amount goes up each year). That puts the Warriors at about $93.4 million-or over $12 mill over the luxury tax. I could be missing another move they made, but trading Lee and his $15.5 million would help them a lot.
I had 2 possible ways of getting him: either making the Lakers deal a 3 way trade and GSW get an exception from the Lakers. Or we get the exception and trade it for Lee. I believe the Warriors have their pick next year and read they may be willing to trade it to get under the tax. I’m not sure who the Pacers would include in the trade to possibly save a little money, but I think it’d likely be us just taking on Lee and maybe a pick or money or whatever. Do you think the Pacers would consider having a roster that is about $81, but still under the tax with all this new money coming in? I think Lee could fit in very nicely, especially if we are going smaller and trying to push the pace. It doesn’t help our defense much, but I like adding a vet guy who has a lot of experience in the NBA in general and in the playoffs. He seems like a guy that coaches really like and is good for the locker room. We lose a big voice in West, maybe Lee can help temporarily help that. And most importantly he is off the books next summer, too, so we still have money next summer.

Last thing: if it is not possible to get Lee in some kind of deal with a trade exception, is there a way to get him or another player while sign-and-trading West?

Sorry my posts are so long. I have many questions and insomnia. Hopefully splitting it up helped a little bit. Or if any mod wants to change it up feel free.
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#70 » by xBulletproof » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:35 pm

chatard5 wrote:1) What are you guys expecting the trade to be? Let’s say it is just a 2nd rounder or 2 and money from one of the sides, likely the Lakers, for Hibbert. That means the Pacers would get a $15.5 million trade exception, correct?

But for the Lakers to be able to take on Hibbert for no players they would have to be able to add him to the roster and still be under the cap after doing so, right? According to Hoopshype the Lakers were at $37.7 million heading into the offseason with 9 players under contract. After you add D’Angelo Russell ($5 mill) and Lou Williams ($7 mill) the Lakers are at $49.7 million with 11 players under contract.

OK, I'm at work and can only reply to the 1st post at the moment. There will be no trade exception. To use cap space, you have to waive your right to certain exceptions. Trade exceptions are one of those. It keeps a team from loading up and using the cap space and then using the exceptions after they are over the cap. You can use one or the other, not both.

Also the cap isn't set until sometime Wednesday. So we don't know what the exact number will be.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:04 pm

chatard5 wrote:Ok, so I feel like I know the salary cap and luxury tax alright, but there are frequent large changes so I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Also, my post is very long, so I am breaking it up into a few posts in case anyone wants to quote it but doesn't want to include all 1200 words that I wrote.

1) What are you guys expecting the trade to be? Let’s say it is just a 2nd rounder or 2 and money from one of the sides, likely the Lakers, for Hibbert. That means the Pacers would get a $15.5 million trade exception, correct?

The cap is $67.1 million. Adding Roy’s $15.5 to the Lakers $49.7 and that makes them just under the cap at $65.2. But they would still only have 12 players under contract. Not to mention that the Lakers signed Brandon Bass. I didn’t see what he is being paid or if it has even been announced, but I am sure that it is over $2 million. I may have forgotten about another deal that the Lakers did this offseason, but according to my calculations they’re over the salary cap either way. So the Lakers would have to make a move and cut salary, likely Nick Young, in order for the Pacers to get a trade exception, if I’m not mistaken.

As for a TPE? Usually, but maybe not in this case. It looks like the trade would put us well under the cap, even accounting for our other cap holds (Lavoy, Scola, etc) so we wouldn't generate a TPE in that case. However, it's all very flexible, and trades/signings could be arranged in different ways to avoid that issue. If we get a TPE though, we would have to renounce it in order to use other cap space for signings (like, Stuckey) as the TPE would count against our cap until then.

As for the Lakers salary, that's where we're at right now. There's talk that they want to overcommit their salary. They've agreed to our deal, and then went out and spent more than they likely had in commitments to Brandon Bass and Lou Williams. It's possible that we take on a Ryan Kelly (for free if we valued him, for an additional 2nd if we didn't) to help them out a bit, but they'd likely have to spin Nick Young elsewhere (as I'm not taking him on unless I get Clarkson or Randle to do so).

But yeah. The confusion aligns with the moratorium. Things are super fluid, and teams could try and operate as "over the cap" by making their signings via S&T so that they maintain their full MLE and BAE and other TPE's they might have. Going under the cap to just straight sign a guy means you have to renounce your MLE, BAE, and any TPE's to get under the cap (though you do then get a later, smaller "Room Exception" after you've used your cap space).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:20 pm

chatard5 wrote:The Pacers need a PF, so I thought about how it’d be possible to get Jordan Hill from the Lakers in a sign-and-trade. I am not 100% on this, but a player can be sign-and-traded with a trade exception for another player, correct? It doesn’t have to be just the exception (and picks or whatever) on one side and a player(s) on the other side. How would the S&T change things? I’m sure Jordan Hill would demand more than the max MLE. Therefore I will assume that it is something like 4/$28. If we need to make it the max MLE then let’s do that for hypotheticals and all of that. That would mean we would get Jordan Hill, picks, and a trade exception (for $15.5 minus whatever Jordan Hill would be next year-I assumed $7 mill-which leaves $8.5 million).

Theoretically, if we had interest in Hill, we could just sign him outright. He doesn't really help the machinations of anything for the Lakers, unless they can string this into a 3 team deal with Lin going to Dallas in a S&T, and they try and match salaries for Hibbert. Either way, in this case, we could at most generate a TPE of Hibbert's salary minus Jordan Hill's salary. TPE's aren't so much "traded" as they are used by one team to absorb salary, and then a new one generated by the other team that is trading away more salary than they receive. It's called a "non-simultaneous" trade, in that theoretically, the trade could take up to a year to complete where Indy would acquire someone later on using the rest of Hibbert's salary. It's confusing, but I highly recommend a day to read Larry Coon's CBAFAQ.com . It's the bible for any and all cap questions, and it's organized in a pretty simple way.

chatard5 wrote:2) So I am going to assume that the Lakers made a move to lower their salary so they can take Roy and give up no salary. Or maybe they include a player currently on their roster and make it a 3-team deal. Now this could be 2 separate deals or a 3-way trade, but what about the Pacers giving up Roy and getting David Lee? Their contracts match up, so I believe it is just dependent on the Lakers either moving someone before this trade or in this trade. I don’t think GWS wants to and possibly cannot afford to take back much in a trade. It seems like they would just give David Lee away to any team that can take him, and they may even include a pick to do so (I would still take a top 20 protected pick which would likely be 25-30). The Warriors would save $15.5 million along with whatever fees for being over the tax.
According to Hoopshype, the Pacers salary payroll for 2015/16 was $51.3 heading into free agency, with 8 players under contract. I don’t believe that they’ve announced how much each year is worth in the Monta and Stuckey deals. They likely go up each year, especially since the cap goes up so much-or else that wasn’t very smart on the part of the front office (unless there is some rule I don’t know about, of course). So Monta will make an average of $11/year, but next season it could be something closer to $10-10.5. Then we also add in Stuckey at an average of $7/year (maybe only 6.5 next year), Lavoy at $4 and Myles Turner who should get about $2.8 million next year. That total $24.8 million, but it likely something more like $23.5 million next year. We also lose Roy’s $15.5 and I have us adding about $12 mill. That makes our roster 11 players at about $63.3 million if I’m not mistaken-roughly 4 million under the cap with 4 players still needing to be signed-especially a PF.

They haven't announced the Monta and Stuckey deals, but if the broad numbers are correct (Monta at 4/$44 and Stuckey at 3/$21), then we can use the CBA rules to piece together roughly what each player would make on a standard contract with their max 4.5% raises. Monta's starting salary is roughly around $10.3m, Stuckey's starting salary is roughly about $6.7m. Both of those guys require cap space to sign, so that's $17m commited. Lavoy Allen's 1st year salary is about $3.7m, but since we have full Bird Rights on him, we can make all our other moves and keep his cap hold of the 2 year vet minimum salary (about $947k), make our moves, and then sign Lavoy to his contract with no issues. Myles Turner's cap hold is of $1.96m, but he should sign for the full 120% of scale for a first year salary of about $2.36m. Right now, we have about $60.15m committed to a projected $67.1m salary cap. We could organize the timing of our signings to have about $10m in cap space still.

Look at it this way for the most simplicity. We essentially used every dollar of cap space we projected after David West opted out on Monta Ellis. Theoretically, with Roy Hibbert on the roster, we were full up. Dealing Hibbert theoretically opened up either a $17.8m tpe (his salary plus 15% trade kicker +100k), but then, we re-signed Ronald Stuckey to a large salary that required cap space, and cap space we would not have unless we either don't create a TPE for Hibbert, or immediately renounce that TPE to gain the cap space to then re-sign Stuckey using it.

Long story, either we sign Ellis using cap space, and then dump Hibbert for no TPE and create cap space to sign Stuckey (and additional space still to be used), OR we dealt Hibbert to the Lakers in a 3 way deal where Monta comes in, but then we used our original cap space on Stuckey. Either way, no TPE to acquire Lee's salary for nothing. Sorry mate.
chatard5
Analyst

Post#73 » by chatard5 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks for the info, guys! Much appreciated and helpful.

I was close on how much the players would make next year, but was way off on the TPE.

Ooh and we can't do a TPE for Lee, but could we in a 3 way deal with the Lakers getting Hibbert? And assuming the cap is $67 or $68 mill do you think that's what we will spend and no more? Is the only real realistic way of going over the cap is when we officially sign Allen? Or do you think it's possible we go over the cap a bit as long as we aren't at the tax?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:16 pm

chatard5 wrote:Thanks for the info, guys! Much appreciated and helpful.

I was close on how much the players would make next year, but was way off on the TPE.

Ooh and we can't do a TPE for Lee, but could we in a 3 way deal with the Lakers getting Hibbert?

Theoretically, we could've done a 3 way deal where Hibbert goes to the Lakers, Lee comes to us, and the cap space goes to GSW. However, we cannot do that, AND have the cap space to sign Stuckey to the already agreed upon contract. We have to use cap space to sign him to that contract.

chatard5 wrote: And assuming the cap is $67 or $68 mill do you think that's what we will spend and no more? Is the only real realistic way of going over the cap is when we officially sign Allen? Or do you think it's possible we go over the cap a bit as long as we aren't at the tax?

I think we go over the cap, but we'll never go over the luxury tax. Theoretically, we could use up our cap space on Ellis, Stuckey, and another $7-12m in salary cap signings (depending on where the salary cap actually comes in at). Then, we could use our bird rights to sign Lavoy Allen afterwards going over the cap, and then use our Room Exception after all that to go another $3m over the cap.

When all is said and done and all our moves are made, we'll likely end up about $6-8m over the salary cap line, AT MOST, and around $6-8m UNDER the luxury tax line. Or, we could carry some cap space over into the year for flexibility in trades during the season.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#75 » by Miller4ever » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:30 pm

My favorite Laker is Clarkson. Will it be too much to ask?
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#76 » by pacers33 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:50 pm

Miller4ever wrote:My favorite Laker is Clarkson. Will it be too much to ask?

Shouldn't be, don't they have Russell now?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#77 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:03 pm

So what happens if the Lakers have over committed on their signings? They agreed to the deal with us for Hibbert. We don't want Young, would taking Kelly and Sacre be enough to set it right? I suppose it would depend on how much over they are. You'd think they can do the math, or is this a trick to try and force us to take the kook Nick Young.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#78 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:05 pm

pacers33 wrote:

Shouldn't be, don't they have Russell now?

Yeah but some of the Lakers fans act like Clarkson is the 2nd coming of Terrence Stansbury!!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:56 pm

Unless we're taking back Nick Young? Yes. Too much to ask.
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#80 » by pacers33 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:31 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Unless we're taking back Nick Young? Yes. Too much to ask.

And avoiding Nick Young is the goal in this trade. :lol:

Return to Indiana Pacers