OFFICIAL: Pacers re-sign Rodney Stuckey

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: OFFICIAL: Pacers re-sign Rodney Stuckey 

Post#21 » by Boneman2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:19 am

Yeah we are flush in wings now. I actually like cornering the market on all of them because they are bargains. Hopefully our time to pursue an elite big comes as soon as next offseason. Until then I have faith that Lavoy is enough of an enforcer to pull his weight. It's clear we will bring in another 4 though. TJones or TGibson would be redonculous.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Pacers resign Rodney stuckey 

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:48 am

Moooose wrote:Strong 5 Line-up:

PG = G. Hill / Young
SG = Ellis / Stuckey
SF = George / Miles / Rudez
PF = Allen / S. Hill
C = Turner / Mahinmi / Whittington

This is a good backcourt of combo guards, not to mention most of our wings can play SG too. Looks like we are really trying to do a "position-less" basketball team, and the starting five could be variable all year round depending on the match-up. I think we are kind of thin at the PF spot though and would love to see a legit big man as assurance in case we need to bang bodies up front. Maybe someone like Brandon Bass, Jason Smith, or Cole Aldrich. Someone with a body mature enough to be counted upon, and can play PF/C.

Back to Stuckey, this is a very good signing. Looks exciting indeed.

What is with you guys projecting Solo at PF? Paul will play there before Solo. I get the small ball thing but come one he'd get murdered by the big PFs like West, Milsap, or Pau Gasol.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:54 am

Moooose wrote:
mikepacernation wrote:My only fear is what happens when they play a team like the Spurs or Houston or Memphis? How is PG or lavoy gonna stand a chance against their big men?

This is why we need a legit big, IMO. Mahinmi and Turner would get the burn defending the other bigs but Myles really isn't ready for it yet. It showed in his first summer league game against Justin Reed.

With this need, I don't expect another stretch 4 like Bargnani to be added into the roster as Whittington can be a stretch 4/5. Should be wider, stronger like Mahinmi.

That's a good point we'll get murdered by the Spurs and Rockets. I'd offer Bargs vet min he doesn't seem to be getting any interest, maybe he can reclaim himself like Stuckey did.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#24 » by Moooose » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:55 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Moooose wrote:Strong 5 Line-up:

PG = G. Hill / Young
SG = Ellis / Stuckey
SF = George / Miles / Rudez
PF = Allen / S. Hill
C = Turner / Mahinmi / Whittington

This is a good backcourt of combo guards, not to mention most of our wings can play SG too. Looks like we are really trying to do a "position-less" basketball team, and the starting five could be variable all year round depending on the match-up. I think we are kind of thin at the PF spot though and would love to see a legit big man as assurance in case we need to bang bodies up front. Maybe someone like Brandon Bass, Jason Smith, or Cole Aldrich. Someone with a body mature enough to be counted upon, and can play PF/C.

Back to Stuckey, this is a very good signing. Looks exciting indeed.

What is with you guys projecting Solo at PF? Paul will play there before Solo. I get the small ball thing but come one he'd get murdered by the big PFs like West, Milsap, or Pau Gasol.

It is basically interchangeable with PG. Position-less, and can switch between 3 and 4. I just think of Solo getting more time in the paint because that's what he does best, while PG will more likely play in the wings and take more threes than usual.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#25 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:01 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Moooose wrote:
mikepacernation wrote:My only fear is what happens when they play a team like the Spurs or Houston or Memphis? How is PG or lavoy gonna stand a chance against their big men?

This is why we need a legit big, IMO. Mahinmi and Turner would get the burn defending the other bigs but Myles really isn't ready for it yet. It showed in his first summer league game against Justin Reed.

With this need, I don't expect another stretch 4 like Bargnani to be added into the roster as Whittington can be a stretch 4/5. Should be wider, stronger like Mahinmi.

That's a good point we'll get murdered by the Spurs and Rockets. I'd offer Bargs vet min he doesn't seem to be getting any interest, maybe he can reclaim himself like Stuckey did.

This is from 3 months ago. The dude can still play when he wants to:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uECftqv_VRo[/youtube]
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:05 am

I do know that Bargs played pretty well for the Knicks once he got healthy last year, I'm just not willing to give him more than $2 million a year and no more than 2 yrs.
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#27 » by mikepacernation » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:19 am

Am I going crazy but.... Josh smith? Yes I know the dudes crazy on the court but he can defend almost every position he can rebound and pass. Or is he still with Houston?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#28 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:43 am

mikepacernation wrote:Am I going crazy but.... Josh smith? Yes I know the dudes crazy on the court but he can defend almost every position he can rebound and pass. Or is he still with Houston?

He is a free agent. I like him. he played well with Houston in the playoffs. Basically won them a series against the Clippers coming back from 3-1. I could live with the occasional open three point shot from him. The benefits outweigh the pitfalls (which is only him shooting threes) I dont subscribe to the senseless propaganda that a players character is questionable whenever he doesnt fit into the quiet meek humble guy box.
Pacemaker94
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#29 » by Pacemaker94 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:46 am

The free throw shooting with Josh Smith and Mahinmi though would be pretty bad
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#30 » by mikepacernation » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:56 am

I think josh smith would fit pretty well with this uptempo team an athletic big body who can defend above average

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#31 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 6, 2015 1:44 pm

Josh Smith has the discipline of lance. No thanks. Did you guys who are worried about being killed inside watch the playoffs?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#32 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:33 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
mikepacernation wrote:Am I going crazy but.... Josh smith? Yes I know the dudes crazy on the court but he can defend almost every position he can rebound and pass. Or is he still with Houston?

He is a free agent. I like him. he played well with Houston in the playoffs. Basically won them a series against the Clippers coming back from 3-1. I could live with the occasional open three point shot from him. The benefits outweigh the pitfalls (which is only him shooting threes) I dont subscribe to the senseless propaganda that a players character is questionable whenever he doesnt fit into the quiet meek humble guy box.

Smith actually is the quiet, meek, humble guy. His problem is that he has never been a particularly good asset to his team's offensive production (he's a negative OBPM guy for his career, meaning that you could put an absolutely average guy on the court at his position and do much better offensively). As he's shot more and more 3's? He's been a complete obliteration to any positive offensive help he can produce. He's one of the biggest offensive negatives for his own team in the league. We've been a bad offensive team. Theoretically, Josh Smith would hurt us much more than we've ever already been. If we could get him to NEVER take a shot out side of 3' (he's shooting below 35% on all shots more than 3' away from the basket over the last couple years), then maybe you have something.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#33 » by 8305 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:14 pm

Reading on the Rockets Board it seemed they were generally happy with what that got from Josh last year. Were his team numbers any better last year?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:33 pm

8305 wrote:Reading on the Rockets Board it seemed they were generally happy with what that got from Josh last year. Were his team numbers any better last year?

Somewhat, while he was in Houston. He played his lowest minutes of his career (only 25 instead of 32+), took his lowest number of shots (only 10 per), though he took his highest concentration of 3pt attempts (which is ugly, but he hit at a career high of 33%, again, ugly). Good defense, poor offensive contributions overall to his team.

And most importantly? Cheap. They paid him just $2m or so. At that price, and at that fit (though I'd ban him from shooting 3's), he's not only fine, but probably at his best.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:15 pm

Did Detroit pay part of bigger number?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:22 pm

Wizop wrote:Did Detroit pay part of bigger number?

Yeah. Detroit is essentially responsible for his full contract in Detroit, minus a small right of set off from whatever he makes elsewhere.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:34 am

I stopped liking Josh when he backed out of I U. They used to boo him in Atlanta when he took threes. Don't want him at any price.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#38 » by Indy4Life » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:47 am

Agree on J-Smoove...keep him away from the Pacers. We already have a few streaky shooters...let's find someone who can help balance the roster.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:18 pm

xBulletproof wrote:Apparently we're allergic to bigs. :lol:

I think depending on the order we make the moves in, I would guess it leaves us to 10 million or so.

Looks like Stuckey will be the back up PG with Joe Young. We're gonna end up being really happy with Mighty Joe Young.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#40 » by Moooose » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:15 am

Return to Indiana Pacers