Sporting News: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Re: Sporting News: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill 

Post#41 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:24 pm

$5 million a season is not bad value for Jordan Hill, at all. I'm not a big fan of his game but at that price it's a solid buy.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#42 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Grang33r wrote:$5 million a season is not bad value for Jordan Hill, at all. I'm not a big fan of his game but at that price it's a solid buy.

Agreed. Hell Mahinmi makes 4 per. Hill is definitely better than him. The irony is I was having a discussion with Scoot about him right before Indy signed him on another topic. Additionally 5 mil per for a guy that may start and produce decent numbers is very good. We had Roy making tens of millions per year, having games with 0 points and 0 rebounds. That wont happen when Jordan Hill plays.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#43 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:55 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Grang33r wrote:$5 million a season is not bad value for Jordan Hill, at all. I'm not a big fan of his game but at that price it's a solid buy.

Agreed. Hell Mahinmi makes 4 per. Hill is definitely better than him. The irony is I was having a discussion with Scoot about him right before Indy signed him on another topic. Additionally 5 mil per for a guy that may start and produce decent numbers is very good. We had Roy making tens of millions per year, having games with 0 points and 0 rebounds. That wont happen when Jordan Hill plays.

As a starter last year, Hill averaged 27.7mpg, and put up 12/8, with an O-Rtg of 103 and a D-Rtg of 110.

I have no doubt that if given minutes, Hill will put up a few numbers. Hibbert did, too. I just assume that, as history shows, he's likely to give up more points while he's on the floor than his team scores with him on the point, as his career 107/108 splits show.

Despite all the disappointment, we played better with Roy on the court, as his career 103/101 splits show, too.

I like Jordan Hill for a temporary fill in. I just know he's not at all a long-term solution to anything, as he's shown so far in his career. For one year? Sure, he'll do. He's just not better than Roy. He's a better fit for the new style, one that we have yet to see, or see if it will make us better or worse.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#44 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

As a starter last year, Hill averaged 27.7mpg, and put up 12/8, with an O-Rtg of 103 and a D-Rtg of 110.

I have no doubt that if given minutes, Hill will put up a few numbers. Hibbert did, too. I just assume that, as history shows, he's likely to give up more points while he's on the floor than his team scores with him on the point, as his career 107/108 splits show.

Despite all the disappointment, we played better with Roy on the court, as his career 103/101 splits show, too.

I like Jordan Hill for a temporary fill in. I just know he's not at all a long-term solution to anything, as he's shown so far in his career. For one year? Sure, he'll do. He's just not better than Roy. He's a better fit for the new style, one that we have yet to see, or see if it will make us better or worse.

While I agree that Hibbert is better. I have to question the use of the splits to rate Hill as a bad defensive player. When you watch him, he is effective with no real glaring weaknesses other than durability. Hibbert had the luxury of playing with very good defenders at every other position (Especially Paul). Hill played with a washed up Kobe and a bunch of guys who werent quite as good defensively (Especially Booze). That is not factored into the data. I generally dont use data. I watch guys play. There are guys who can play, and guys who cant. Numbers lie. You previously used data to establish Josh Smith was a bad player. He recently won the Rockets a series against a Championship caliber clipper team. He also had crazy dominant games for the Hawks for years. He was inconsistent. But This is where the data is faulty.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:17 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

While I agree that Hibbert is better. I have to question the use of the splits to rate Hill as a bad defensive player. When you watch him, he is effective with no real glaring weaknesses other than durability. Hibbert had the luxury of playing with very good defenders at every other position (Especially Paul). Hill played with a washed up Kobe and a bunch of guys who werent quite as good defensively (Especially Booze). That is not factored into the data. I generally dont use data. I watch guys play. There are guys who can play, and guys who cant. Numbers lie. You previously used data to establish Josh Smith was a bad player. He recently won the Rockets a series against a Championship caliber clipper team. He also had crazy dominant games for the Hawks for years. He was inconsistent. But This is where the data is faulty.

Eyes lie, too. Josh Smith has lost his team a lot of extra games over the years with his inconsistent play, and desire to try offense too much. His best year for the Hawks was when he took his fewest amount of shots. He was uber efficient. Guys who score a lot of points or grab a lot of rebounds look good to eyes. Guys like Kris Humphries, Reggie Evans, etc.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

I'm sorry. I sound as if I'm knocking the Jordan Hill signing. I'm not, and don't mean to. I think what I'm trying to say is that Hill is essentially a body. If he weren't so much more mobile than Scola, I'd have advocated keeping Scola, especially since Luis was only 60% of the cost. But, Jordan's mobility pushes him ahead in fit for us.
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Sporting News: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill 

Post#47 » by mikepacernation » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Pacers signed him to a 1 year 5 million dollar contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/621013123659509761[/tweet]

Officially signed as well, today.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#49 » by jowglenn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Fantastic deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 pm

jowglenn wrote:Fantastic deal.

Certainly can't dislike it. Would be ideal if we had a team controlled 2nd year, but can't fault Jordan or his agent for not wanting to cede future control.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#51 » by Indy4Life » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Very nice deal. Would have liked it better at 2-10, but he knows he will get a serious raise next year with the cap jump.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#52 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:22 pm

I would have liked it better at 2/7.5 but I'm ok with it. Hill will be a good patch until we find a more permanent solution at center. Turner might be the guy unless we decide that we like him at PF.

I can't wait to see this team play, I'm gonna predict their record if everyone is pretty healthy, 45-37, maybe a little more.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:22 am

Just got confirmed as a one year, $4m deal. Cheap.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#54 » by Pacersike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:16 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Just got confirmed as a one year, $4m deal. Cheap.

Jeez, is he that bad? :lol:

I know there's going to be a massive cap raise next year, but I'm starting to think he must be awful, considering no team would offer a decent big more money for only 1 year. Or he must really like the fit and a possible starting position at the 5 with us.

A very positive thing for me is that he seemed to be one of Kobe's closest teammates in LA. It shows he is a winner too and maybe willing to do a bit more than most NBA players.
I also wonder how Hibbert and Bryant will get along. Confrontation might be the best cure to heal Roys mental problems. The soft approach from Vogel clearly didn't help him in the long run.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#55 » by boomershadow » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I did a little reading on J Hill. Apparently one of the reasons he didn't get more time is because there have been complaints about his conditioning and ability to stay effective given more minutes. He also was not a fan of Mike Dantoni's system while he was in LA, so hopefully that doesnt bode too ill for fitting with our new offense.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#56 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:33 am

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Just got confirmed as a one year, $4m deal. Cheap.

Jeez, is he that bad? :lol:

I know there's going to be a massive cap raise next year, but I'm starting to think he must be awful, considering no team would offer a decent big more money for only 1 year. Or he must really like the fit and a possible starting position at the 5 with us.

A very positive thing for me is that he seemed to be one of Kobe's closest teammates in LA. It shows he is a winner too and maybe willing to do a bit more than most NBA players.
I also wonder how Hibbert and Bryant will get along. Confrontation might be the best cure to heal Roys mental problems. The soft approach from Vogel clearly didn't help him in the long run.

Well last year we got Stuckey for Vet min. What a bargin, I like this if he plays hard he'll look to get noticed and get a raise.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#57 » by tugs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:46 am

Some quick thoughts from a Laker fan:

- Hill is an energy guy that can produce in limited minutes. More minutes and he won't sustain his production.
- He can score from the low block or from midrange but you don't want him to be featured, takes out his ability to crash the boards and make put backs.
- Defensively he's decent and above average when he isn't too gassed that is why you want him on a minutes restriction.

Mahinmi and Allen could relieve Hill of too much load and I think Turner will be ready as well. You got a bargain of a deal if he gets back to his 2013 form.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Re: 

Post#58 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 pm

tugs wrote:Some quick thoughts from a Laker fan:

- Hill is an energy guy that can produce in limited minutes. More minutes and he won't sustain his production.
- He can score from the low block or from midrange but you don't want him to be featured, takes out his ability to crash the boards and make put backs.
- Defensively he's decent and above average when he isn't too gassed that is why you want him on a minutes restriction.

Mahinmi and Allen could relieve Hill of too much load and I think Turner will be ready as well. You got a bargain of a deal if he gets back to his 2013 form.

Totally agree. He is an energy guy who got too much run last year and also played on a team where he was expected to be a scoring guy, so he forced his project jump shot way too much. He's still growing as a player, so good coaching will help, shorter runs will help, and having scorers around him to allow him to pull back on all the 15-20 jumpers will help. Great value at that price.

Return to Indiana Pacers