Now Official: Ty Lawson signs with Pacers

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Now Official: Ty Lawson signs with Pacers 

Post#1 » by CoachD » Thu Mar 3, 2016 6:45 pm

Wiretap states that Indy is about to sign Lawson.

Am I missing something? It's past the playoff eligibility deadline... does Indy have a backcourt injury they need to band-aid up?

Sorry to change the title, but just added the finality that Lawson has now officially signed with the Pacers - Scoot
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Re: Ty Lawson? 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Thu Mar 3, 2016 7:47 pm

Can't hurt, right?

He was a fantastic player in Denver. I wonder why didn't it work out better for him in Houston?

But what do we have to lose at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#3 » by chube » Thu Mar 3, 2016 7:57 pm

I think the playoff eligibility issue relates to when he was actually waived, which was before the deadline. Doesn't matter when he signs. (Could be wrong though.)

SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#4 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Mar 3, 2016 9:23 pm

No surprise here. Bird has coveted Lawson since 2009 draft; where I bet if he had a do over he would take Lawson over Hansborough. I remember him stating that he was trying to trade back into the first round that year to get Lawson. I am definitely on board with this move. This has potential to make the offense run light years better; once Lawson gets acclimated. Pick and Pop or Pick and roll with Myles Turner all day with snipers on the wings in George and George or CJ. Paul will have more energy to close games in the clutch moments.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#5 » by glasket » Thu Mar 3, 2016 9:27 pm

It would take some time to get the chemistry right but we could then be front runners to resign him for next season as the primary backup PG.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 3, 2016 11:12 pm

CoachD wrote:Wiretap states that Indy is about to sign Lawson.

Am I missing something? It's past the playoff eligibility deadline... does Indy have a backcourt injury they need to band-aid up?

He'd be eligible for the playoffs, as he was a free agent at the waiving deadline for playoff eligibility elsewhere. It doesn't matter when he signs from here on out, just that he would only have been eligible to play for Houston in the playoffs if he was still on the roster past 3/1.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#7 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 3, 2016 11:35 pm

Chase has been good. CJ is a one trick pony.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Fri Mar 4, 2016 12:35 am

I kinda expected this would happen.I came super close to making a thread about it too. My reasoning being that Larry loves high raw talent and low maturity. I wish I had now.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#9 » by Wizop » Fri Mar 4, 2016 1:33 am

Star has chase bought out but hasn't written Lawson story yet
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#10 » by glasket » Fri Mar 4, 2016 2:11 am

Yep chase to be bought out on Saturday. Ty to be with the Pacers on Sunday.

Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#11 » by Miller4ever » Fri Mar 4, 2016 3:37 am

He's like the Monta Ellis of point guards... 3 inches undersized, impressive quantity stats, mediocre efficiency...

I don't mind the move as long as we're taking him out for a test drive. I don't want to commit to him.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#12 » by Moooose » Fri Mar 4, 2016 10:11 am

Not surprised at all. Larry wanted Lawson back then, just like how he liked Scola, Luther Head, etc., and he was a;ways able to land those guys somehow. If I can remember right, Larry said in an interview (maybe about Scola) that he wanted to see them play himself, and not rely on how low or high a player's value has been.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Mar 4, 2016 3:16 pm

Grang33r wrote:Can't hurt, right?

He was a fantastic player in Denver. I wonder why didn't it work out better for him in Houston?

But what do we have to lose at this point?

We just need to keep him out of Club Rio! :lol:

I hope he's got his head together and can help our 2nd unit. Looks like we'll be waiving Bud, no biggy.

Hey do you guys remember last season trade dead line there was a bunch of threads insisting that we should trade George Hill and our pick for Lawson. :noway:
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#14 » by boomershadow » Fri Mar 4, 2016 3:25 pm

How are we waiving Bud and not Whit?? I'm fine with Solomon Hill getting more minutes at the 3 with CJ out. But Bud has some value and not Whit basically none. We could waive him and still have him play on the Mad Ants cuz there is little chance anyone else picks him up.

Edit: I read the Star article and he's being bought out, not waived. So that will save some millions of dollars I guess.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Mar 4, 2016 4:24 pm

boomershadow wrote:I kinda expected this would happen.I came super close to making a thread about it too. My reasoning being that Larry loves high raw talent and low maturity. I wish I had now.

A couple of us on the trade forum piped up that this could be Larry's shot at Lawson in a thread there before any links to the Pacers came out. Turns out, we were right. A minimum salary can make anyone look attractive in free agency.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Mar 4, 2016 4:27 pm

boomershadow wrote:How are we waiving Bud and not Whit?? I'm fine with Solomon Hill getting more minutes at the 3 with CJ out. But Bud has some value and not Whit basically none. We could waive him and still have him play on the Mad Ants cuz there is little chance anyone else picks him up.

Edit: I read the Star article and he's being bought out, not waived. So that will save some millions of dollars I guess.

There really may not be any fiscal savings, but it really looks like we went to Chase to tell him that he'll be sitting a lot more once CJ comes back healthy, and that he really wants a chance to play more somewhere else to showcase himself. Rumors are already out that he'll be joining Phoenix once he's waived and clears waivers. It's like going home for him (he played college ball at Arizona), and he clearly doesn't care about playing in the playoffs, as he allegedly agreed to this buyout a week ago, but was willing to play it out until CJ Miles came back healthy (thus, he willingly gave up the playoffs for a few minutes of playing time). Also, he clearly wasn't returning next year, and we already have Whittington signed to a non-guaranteed minimum salary for next year, so....why not?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#17 » by 8305 » Fri Mar 4, 2016 7:04 pm

I think this is worth a shot. Lawson, George Hill and anther shooter would could make for an interesting 3 guard rotation. But, I don't see how either Ellis or Stuckey fit with Lawson at all. Something to sort out in the off-season I guess. In the meantime it will be interesting to see how it works when 3 of our 4 guards can't shoot.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#18 » by pacers33granger » Fri Mar 4, 2016 11:36 pm

I really don't expect Lawson to add much, but there is some upside here and he can't be worse than Bud, so that's a positive.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Mar 4, 2016 11:46 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I really don't expect Lawson to add much, but there is some upside here and he can't be worse than Bud, so that's a positive.

I'm hopeful, maybe even wishful, but I'm not expecting anything. An add this late in the season doesn't hold much hope anyway, but one that has serious issues like Lawson has even less. If he turns out to be a decent backup, it's a huge success, methinks.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#20 » by jarryd3107 » Sat Mar 5, 2016 12:43 am

Does anyone know why Chase Budinger is in the game tonight?

Return to Indiana Pacers