Who's gonna be the new Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: Who's gonna be the new Coach? 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Sun May 8, 2016 5:39 pm

I think vogel would do well in Memphis but if our new coach cleans house Burke could also take smash mouth to Memphis.

For us, I'm coming around to Hornacek.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#42 » by chube » Sun May 8, 2016 8:22 pm

At the moment I'm in favor of Shaw, Hornacek, or Messina. I go back and forth on Mark Jackson. He did well with no head coaching experience and deserves some credit for setting up GS for their current success, but the division he seemed to be at the center of is a concern. I will say that I don't think Larry would put up with that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Clutch31
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#43 » by Clutch31 » Mon May 9, 2016 9:16 am

Bird wants a fast paced offense, so i think that rules out coaches like Jackson or Joerger
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 9, 2016 1:48 pm

Wizop wrote:I think vogel would do well in Memphis but if our new coach cleans house Burke could also take smash mouth to Memphis.

For us, I'm coming around to Hornacek.

From Bird's quotes and references to "Dan" setting up the defense, it really seems like Burke will be a requirement for any new head coach. And seeing as how he's served admirably for Bird, Carlisle, Isiah, O'Brien, and Vogel, I think he could be seen as trustworthy and dependable for a new coach coming in. He's never tried to engineer a coup, and he's only been patient and reliable.
khensley308
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#45 » by khensley308 » Mon May 9, 2016 2:41 pm

How come nobody as mentioned George Karl in the Pacers coaching search?
BOOOOOOOOM BABY!!!!!!!!.......ITS MILLER TIME.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 9, 2016 3:50 pm

khensley308 wrote:How come nobody as mentioned George Karl in the Pacers coaching search?

Because we're not insane?
chube
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by chube » Mon May 9, 2016 5:32 pm

I haven't heard any word about any meetings or interviews taking place yet. Anybody heard anything?

Also, great Instagram post from Paul George about Vogel. I just hope Paul doesn't take it too personally or anything when it comes to his future. I'm sure he knows it's a business but still.

Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Mon May 9, 2016 8:57 pm

Bird said he expected to talk to people at combine in Chicago.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#49 » by jarryd3107 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:35 am

George Karl, Mark Jackson, and Vinny Del Negro would all be disasters. Jesus Christ, George Karl.

I'd be down with JVG or Mike D'antoni, accepting of Jeff Hornacek and disappointed with Brian Shaw.

Edited to include my disdain for Randy Wittman and Mike Woodson.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 10, 2016 3:10 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:George Karl, Mark Jackson, and Vinny Del Negro would all be disasters. Jesus Christ, George Karl.

I'd be down with JVG or Mike D'antoni, accepting of Jeff Hornacek and disappointed with Brian Shaw.

I would be MORE than fine if Wittman and Woodson were hired....as lead assistants. I'd even classify Shaw on the same level as Hornacek, as guys who show promise in my mind, but maybe got hosed by working in environments that were unmitigated disasters in terms of roster construction and front office composition. Mike D'Antoni isn't my personal favorite for the job, but I wouldn't be too terribly upset, so long as we could keep Dan Burke on staff to construct the defense. I just don't see a JVG as being remotely interested in returning to coaching, unless he got full front office power, and I don't see Bird/Pritchard hiring the guy and firing themselves in doing so.

As for head coach, I would be very disappointed in the Mark Jackson, Wittman, Woodson kind of hires. Chemistry above all. And hopefully no unmitigated disasters of retread hires.
chube
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by chube » Tue May 10, 2016 6:21 pm

One name I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned at all - either on here or from what I've seen on other columns and forums - is Lionel Hollins. I know he may not play the style Larry wants but I'm not convinced Wittman or Woodson would either.

I consider the Hollins we saw in Memphis to be the real deal. That dumpster fire of a front office in brooklyn handed him an extremely difficult situation.

jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#52 » by jarryd3107 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:George Karl, Mark Jackson, and Vinny Del Negro would all be disasters. Jesus Christ, George Karl.

I would be MORE than fine if Wittman and Woodson were hired....as lead assistants. I'd even classify Shaw on the same level as Hornacek, as guys who show promise in my mind, but maybe got hosed by working in environments that were unmitigated disasters in terms of roster construction and front office composition. Mike D'Antoni isn't my personal favorite for the job, but I wouldn't be too terribly upset, so long as we could keep Dan Burke on staff to construct the defense. I just don't see a JVG as being remotely interested in returning to coaching, unless he got full front office power, and I don't see Bird/Pritchard hiring the guy and firing themselves in doing so.

As for head coach, I would be very disappointed in the Mark Jackson, Wittman, Woodson kind of hires. Chemistry above all. And hopefully no unmitigated disasters of retread hires.

Agreed on all points.

Do you think it could be the off season Kevin Ollie gets intrigued with the NBA? Him and Jay Larranaga are about the only first-time coaches I'd be ok with.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#53 » by Boneman2 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 am

Good call on Ollie. It'd be worth it for Larry to at least check his level of interest. A hire like this could have a positive impact on free agency as well.

On 1070 JMV kept mentioning Shaw as a strong possibility, saying it would be a good hire. I on the other hand am indifferent to Brian.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
wchs fan
Ballboy

Post#54 » by wchs fan » Thu May 12, 2016 4:49 am

ozthegap wrote:what you guys think of D'antoni. I think he would fit your team well and pg will thrive in that system.

I woulden't have him at all
Wizop
RealGM

Post#55 » by Wizop » Thu May 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Bruno has a piece at 1070thefan saying Shaw.
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#56 » by Jermainevent » Thu May 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Scott Skiles just resigned from the Magic, another name to keep in mind. Definitely hard-nosed.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Jermainevent wrote:Scott Skiles just resigned from the Magic, another name to keep in mind. Definitely hard-nosed.

Guy just resigned less than one year into a long-term contract. Certainly doesn't bode well for any professional views on him. Also, he's been a miserable guy to work with at most every stop he's ever been.
chube
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by chube » Thu May 12, 2016 3:20 pm

This coaching situation is very interesting given the perceived clash between Larry's desired style of play and the current roster.

Both here and other boards/columns, I've seen emphatic "hell yes's" and emphatic "hell no's" on pretty much every coach mentioned.

The only "no" everybody seems to agree on is Wittman

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 pm

chube wrote:This coaching situation is very interesting given the perceived clash between Larry's desired style of play and the current roster.

Both here and other boards/columns, I've seen emphatic "hell yes's" and emphatic "hell no's" on pretty much every coach mentioned.

The only "no" everybody seems to agree on is Wittman

And George Karl.... :lol:
khensley308
Ballboy

Post#60 » by khensley308 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:40 pm

So why the knock on George Karl, the guy is just one win shy of 2000 and has a better win percentage than Vogel.
BOOOOOOOOM BABY!!!!!!!!.......ITS MILLER TIME.

Return to Indiana Pacers