Pacers acquire Jeff Teague as part of three team deal

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Jeff Teague 

Post#1 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Pacers acquire Jeff Teague. Trade out Indiana George Hill. Thoughts?

Teague
Ellis
George
????
Turner
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Pacers acquire Jeff Teague as part of three team deal 

Post#2 » by Jermainevent » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 pm

George Hill is headed to the Jazz

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/745680754043150336[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/745684240461889536[/tweet]
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Re: Pacers acquire Jeff Teague as part of three team deal 

Post#3 » by Indy4Life » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Hope we are getting more than Teague for Hill.

Teague may be a bit better at the point, but Hill is the better all around player for 2016.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Pacers trade for Jeff Teague 

Post#4 » by davidfr94 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242321/Pacers-Acquire-Jeff-Teague-In-Three-Team-Trade

George Hill will go to the jazz for Teague, Hawks Will get the 12 pick in the draft.

I am sad to see G. Hill go because I think he was misused by Vogel but we really needed a real point guard. He is going to fit well next to Paul George as a second creator and myles turner.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Pacers Acquire Jeff Teague In Three-Team Trade 

Post#5 » by tocooks101 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:32 pm

This is without a doubt a pretty big upgrade, will miss GHill but this trade makes us a lot better.
ram8
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#6 » by ram8 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I really like George Hill but see how Jeff Teague can be an upgrade. This team has gone through stretches of sluggish offensive play in the half court and I think Teague can do a lot to improve the team in that area.

Hill's defensive versatility will be missed though. I really don't like the though of Teague and Monta playing together at all let alone being the starting guards.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:05 pm

I never bought the true point guard business but Bird obviously did. I think this could move the draft need from 4 to 2.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#8 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Love it. This is strictly an upgrade. Expecting to get any more out of a 30 year old point guard with one year left on his contract than Teague is straight nonsense. I am a huge fan of this move.

This kid has torched us for YEARS it feels like. I'm glad to have him on our team finally. Not sure how the Teague Ellis backcourt will work, I'm kinda anticipating Ellis being gone.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#9 » by davidfr94 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Love it. This is strictly an upgrade. Expecting to get any more out of a 30 year old point guard with one year left on his contract than Teague is straight nonsense. I am a huge fan of this move.

This kid has torched us for YEARS it feels like. I'm glad to have him on our team finally. Not sure how the Teague Ellis backcourt will work, I'm kinda anticipating Ellis being gone.

It is going to be a hard task to get rid of Ellis' contract. Maybe he'll play better next to a better distributor and shooter.

We need to look for a strating center now and a backup/starting shooting guard that can defend and shoot 3.
tocooks101
Senior

Post#10 » by tocooks101 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

davidfr94 wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Love it. This is strictly an upgrade. Expecting to get any more out of a 30 year old point guard with one year left on his contract than Teague is straight nonsense. I am a huge fan of this move.

It is going to be a hard task to get rid of Ellis' contract. Maybe he'll play better next to a better distributor and shooter.

We need to look for a strating center now and a backup/starting shooting guard that can defend and shoot 3.

I don't feel we can only start Monta next to Teague or trade him, his game is probably best suited for coming off the bench and being a number 1 option at this point in his career.

That being said you are right, this does create a bit of a need for a 3 and D guy at shooting guard.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm

if Monta is to come off the bench, then you should move Stuckey.,
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#12 » by glasket » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 pm

I am sad to see Hill leave but in the other hand excited I see how effectively a "true" point guard can run this offence with the starters. Now bird has his true point guard so no more excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Welcome Jeff :D

Looks like the rumors at the trade deadline were true, but the Hawks probably didn't feel like Hill would work for them, being a free agent next offseason. It's the only thing that makes me sad about this trade, knowing Hill likes Utah. Frank Vogel would have benefited as well from getting a better point in Teague, even though Hill is about as good as a player. But we got him :)
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#14 » by Boneman2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:14 pm

I always felt this would happen, except I thought ATL would take Hill. Regardless, this is the first legit PG we have had since MJax or possibly Tinsley.

I really didn't like Teague coming out of Pike or Kentucky, but I fell in love with him when I saw him abuse Hill in the playoffs a couple of years ago. He is super fast too, so it bodes well for Larry's vision of this team.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#15 » by Jermainevent » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Boneman2 wrote:I always felt this would happen, except I thought ATL would take Hill. Regardless, this is the first legit PG we have had since MJax or possibly Tinsley.

I really didn't like Teague coming out of Pike or Kentucky, but I fell in love with him when I saw him abuse Hill in the playoffs a couple of years ago. He is super fast too, so it bodes well for Larry's vision of this team.

Jeff Teague played at Wake Forest. Marcus, his brother, played at Kentucky and has not done a whole lot.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#16 » by Boneman2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Jermainevent wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:I always felt this would happen, except I thought ATL would take Hill. Regardless, this is the first legit PG we have had since MJax or possibly Tinsley.

Jeff Teague played at Wake Forest. Marcus, his brother, played at Kentucky and has not done a whole lot.

That's right. For some reason I get the Teague's confused.

Edit: Marquis is his name.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:01 am

Star has lots of quotes. Doyle has a positive story. Most national stories are negative.

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#18 » by 8305 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:04 am

So much for chasing Conley or bringing Lawson back. Seems to me we now need a legit SG, someone who can shoot and defend the wing position. Really don't like an Ellis/Teague backcourt.

Interesting, this is the second pg we've traded for who was available in the 2009 draft when we took Hansbrough.
tocooks101
Senior

Post#19 » by tocooks101 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 am

8305 wrote:So much for chasing Conley or bringing Lawson back. Seems to me we now need a legit SG, someone who can shoot and defend the wing position. Really don't like an Ellis/Teague backcourt.

Interesting, this is the second pg we've traded for who was available in the 2009 draft when we took Hansbrough.

Oddly enough, hes actually the 3rd (Darren Collison).
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#20 » by Miller4ever » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 am

I've always thought it was a lateral-move talent-wise, but given age and contract, this is a slight positive. Fit is an unknown, but Teague seems like he'll be fine next to PG and Murles Tyner.

Return to Indiana Pacers