Woj: Pacers finalizing deal w Al Jefferson

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Woj: Pacers finalizing deal w Al Jefferson 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:27 pm

About to hop on a flight and no details yet. But, Woj is saying it, so it must be true

Assume this means Ian is gone and his $7.6m cap hold too. Subtract Al's reported numbers from $20m and you have our remaining cap space.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Woj: Pacers finalizing deal w Al Jefferson 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:29 pm

3 years $30m per Marc Stein. Not bad. Odd fit, stylistically, but, good value. So, likely another $10m on cap space.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#3 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:31 pm

Honestly it was probably better to pay Jefferson 10 mil after the contract Mozgov got. Have to imagine Ian was looking for a deal around that range since he's never had a big contract.

Still holding out hope we can get Eric Gordon as well and dump Stuckey.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:33 pm

Overall it's hard to hate the offseason Bird's already put together though. He turned Hill and a late first in a weak draft into Teague, Young, and Jefferson so far and has around $10 mil to play with. Niang could be a cheap contributor for a couple years as well, but that remains to be seen.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#5 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:36 pm

the money sounds affordable. agree on the strange fit. I liked him years ago before our smash mouth period. he can be Mr Inside to Turner's Mr outside but it sure makes more sense if Turner is a 4 rather than a 5. maybe this is a recognition that he needs to grow into the 5 spot. have we had a center who demanded double teams since JO? lots of value at 10mm per in today's silliness if true.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:52 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Honestly it was probably better to pay Jefferson 10 mil after the contract Mozgov got. Have to imagine Ian was looking for a deal around that range since he's never had a big contract.

Woj reporting that we are still talking with Ian, but hard to see the fit.

Otherwise, I'm happy to keep Stuckey on his deal. Darned cheap when DJ Augiston is getting more money on 4 years fully guaranteed on this market. Yuck. Heck, Stuck might net a 1st in trade later on. I'd still look for a 3&D wing, but I'm likin the affordability and value of this roster.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:57 pm

You guys are making dank moves. Right now the Pacers look like the second seed in the east.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#8 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:02 pm

Loving the offseason for the Pacers so far. 10m/year for Al freaking Jefferson in today's market?! Bird is an underrated GM.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#9 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:03 pm

I love the fact we are making moves. Pacers are putting together a squad this year.

For the money, this is the best value of the off season, next to Lins new deal. Like others, not sure about the fit. But value and talent wise, you gotta love it. Just wish it had come three years ago.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#10 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Honestly it was probably better to pay Jefferson 10 mil after the contract Mozgov got. Have to imagine Ian was looking for a deal around that range since he's never had a big contract.

Woj reporting that we are still talking with Ian, but hard to see the fit.

Otherwise, I'm happy to keep Stuckey on his deal. Darned cheap when DJ Augiston is getting more money on 4 years fully guaranteed on this market. Yuck. Heck, Stuck might net a 1st in trade later on. I'd still look for a 3&D wing, but I'm likin the affordability and value of this roster.

Yeah I saw the reports about Ian. I suppose Bird could be envisioning Turner as the PF still and letting Ian start again with Jefferson/Thad off the bench. Still an odd fit, but who knows.

As for Stuckey, I'm more than fine with him and his contract, but the fit is just so bad imo. Unless Joe Young improves a lot this offseason, we likely can't play any of Teague/Ellis/Stuckey together for stretches. GRIII becoming a rotation player would be huge there, but I'm not banking on that at this point.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#11 » by chube » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:27 pm

Agreed with everybody. If Ian comes back, we have a little bit of a logjam of guys who are worthy to start and/or might demand a starting role, but sill terrific value in this offseason. If Jeff is willing to come off the bench like he did towards the end of his Charlotte era, there's a couple change-of-pace options I like there

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:36 pm

surely his agent discussed his role with Bird and got an answer Al was happy with.

we've been moving fast so another deal today wouldn't shock me but I'd like to see how GRob and Wolters look tomorrow in Orlando.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:38 pm

It only makes sense to me if Bird is negotiating with a good SG for whatever we have left under the cap and the best center who would agree to come to Indiana for 10M or less is Al Jefferson. Don't like Jefferson the player and I don't like the fit in our so called running fast paced team.

I guess he will take some pressure off of Myles offensively, so it's not all bad.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:48 pm

star reports Ian now over our budget.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#15 » by chube » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:56 pm

We have Ian's bird rights, don't we? So we could go over the cap to re-sign him last. I know Simon's budget is what it is, but salary cap-wise, Ian is still keepable

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#16 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:07 pm

We COULD pay Ian as much as we wanted with his bird rights, but I'm not sure there's any room for anymore.

With McMillan indicating he sees Turner as a 5, the lineup is:
PG - Teague
SG - Ellis
SF - George
PF - Young
C - Turner

With Big Al and Stuckey off the bench. Assuming we don't re-sign Mahinmi, seeming likely at this point, hopefully Bird will use the rest of the cap space for a starting SG that can space the floor and move Ellis to the bench as well.

I'm thrilled to have a bench big man who isn't simply a big body to come off the bench. Al has offensive talent and can find his own shot.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#17 » by davidfr94 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:14 pm

What a steal! 3/30 is a great signing in this "new nba".
While he does not fit our new style of play, he does fit well with our players. He will mesh well with Turner and Young inside but will also open up the floor for George and Teague.

I think we still a defensive minded center, a 3 and D wing and a veteran presence.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#18 » by Pacersike » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:14 pm

Why would Ian return though, when his former president called Turner the Pacers starting center of the future and just signed his backup? If I were Ian, I wouldn't even want to return.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:17 pm

chube wrote:We have Ian's bird rights, don't we? So we could go over the cap to re-sign him last. I know Simon's budget is what it is, but salary cap-wise, Ian is still keepable

don't think we can pay Ian what others are offering and still extend Teague without going into tax land. perhaps we could risk waiting a year to extend Teague when the cap goes up again, but that costs money too. plus at some point we're going to want to offer PG a new max deal.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#20 » by boomershadow » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:28 pm

This is the first move of the offseason that really puzzles me. I get that it offers a change from where we have been and I like the value, but I a thousand times would have rather paid a defensive 2/3 that can shoot (Bazemore?) as much as our capspace would allow then used Bird rights to resign Mahinmi.

Return to Indiana Pacers