Press Conference: Oladipo, Sabonis, Collison

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Press Conference: Oladipo, Sabonis, Collison 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:00 am

I think Victor Oladipo seems to be kind of excited to be here. His responses felt like more than just the required "Good to be back in Indiana" that we all knew was gonna be said. They seemed a bit more genuine. Hopefully he brings some of that energy to the court.

Nate McMillan never manages to say anything that really interests me.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Press Conference: Oladipo, Sabonis, Collison 

Post#2 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:47 am

Definitely worth watching.

Like you said, McMillan said absolutely nothing of interest but Pritchard gave some good insight.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:53 am

I've found this chart that might interest some of you:

What it proves is that even though Sabonis doesn't get almost any blocks, he is one of the premier rim-protector in the entire league (up there with guys like Gobert, Embiid, Porzingis, Hibbert, Lopez) despite not having long arms or explosiveness. What it implies is that he's a really good positional defender with good IQ (not biting on pumpfakes, using verticality to bother shots).
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:37 pm

Jstock12 wrote:What it proves is that even though Sabonis doesn't get almost any blocks, he is one of the premier rim-protector in the entire league (up there with guys like Gobert, Embiid, Porzingis, Hibbert, Lopez) despite not having long arms or explosiveness. What it implies is that he's a really good positional defender with good IQ (not biting on pumpfakes, using verticality to bother shots).

We could have a really nice frontline between Turner, Sabonis, and Leaf. They all seem like they're going to fit together and bring a different element. Also nice that all can shoot.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:46 pm

I know Pritchard has to sell the trade, but it is horribly disingenuous to call Dipo the 2nd pick when asked why he thought we didn't need a top pick. He was, but that was 4 years ago. We could have a collection of top 2 picks if we signed Bennett and DWill too..
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: RE: Re: Press Conference: Oladipo, Sabonis, Collison 

Post#6 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:23 am

pacers33granger wrote:I know Pritchard has to sell the trade, but it is horribly disingenuous to call Dipo the 2nd pick when asked why he thought we didn't need a top pick. He was, but that was 4 years ago. We could have a collection of top 2 picks if we signed Bennett and DWill too..

I think you proved his point. He is saying a pick becomes a player and the guy you want may not be there. He wanted Vic and Domas. A pick could be Bennett or Oden, you just don't know. We got two young players who have impressed as pros. Two birds in the hand not three in the bush.

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#7 » by tocooks101 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:52 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I know Pritchard has to sell the trade, but it is horribly disingenuous to call Dipo the 2nd pick when asked why he thought we didn't need a top pick. He was, but that was 4 years ago. We could have a collection of top 2 picks if we signed Bennett and DWill too..

I think his point is, picks turn into players, easy to get caught up in the potential of picks but then overlook them as soon as they are used to pick players, which is actually a pretty fair point.

I think the main takeaway is that we(Herb Simon) are not interested in a full teardown, it's not the Pacer way. And once you take those options out, this was the best package available.

This trade is a lot easier to swallow after hearing the comments about ownership, for me anyways.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#8 » by Miller4ever » Sun Jul 9, 2017 11:24 pm

I also think Pritch is being completely ingenuous.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Re: RE: Re: Press Conference: Oladipo, Sabonis, Collison 

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Wizop wrote:

I think you proved his point. He is saying a pick becomes a player and the guy you want may not be there. He wanted Vic and Domas. A pick could be Bennett or Oden, you just don't know. We got two young players who have impressed as pros. Two birds in the hand not three in the bush.

I can't agree more. A team can't be certain about the talent level they're really getting even in the high lottery. Not to mention it can take years to figure out if a player is still reaching for his potential or settling into being the player he is. I don't want to wait years to find out.

Looking at the list of 2nd overall picks really demonstrates just what a crapshoot the lottery really is.

Return to Indiana Pacers