Around the NBA: 2022-23 edition

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,065

Re: Around the NBA: 2022-23 edition 

Post#441 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:56 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I knew Dorian Finney Smith was a coveted player but the Nets turned down 2 firsts for him. Wow

That report is weird. The reporter admitted it was last year they turned down two firsts, which was reported then it may have been us with 26 and 29.

If they got an offer for two real firsts now, they’d jump at it so fast.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#442 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:28 am

Folks, I howled when I read this. I had to double check it….its true!

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#443 » by JMaster5K » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Folks, I howled when I read this. I had to double check it….its true!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - thank you, needed that. =}

Now we are going to start hearing about Leaf signing 10 day contracts, with whoever plays the Lakers! LOL =]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#444 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:51 pm

The deadline for teams to waive a player and the player to still be eligible for the playoffs just passed at 5pm eastern. At this point, basically anyone worth signing is out there. And, the deadline to sign a player to a 2 way is in 3 days.

I would expect some move from Indy to fill the 15th roster spot, whether it's signing someone who is a free agent (maybe an Australian or Chinese League player that is finishing up a season?) or even just converting a 2 way player and backfilling the 2 way spot with someone else. To leave that spot open would be a small dereliction of management duty, IMO.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#445 » by Wizop » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:The deadline for teams to waive a player and the player to still be eligible for the playoffs just passed at 5pm eastern. At this point, basically anyone worth signing is out there. And, the deadline to sign a player to a 2 way is in 3 days.

Please clarify the deadline for signing a playoff eligible player.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#446 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:46 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:The deadline for teams to waive a player and the player to still be eligible for the playoffs just passed at 5pm eastern. At this point, basically anyone worth signing is out there. And, the deadline to sign a player to a 2 way is in 3 days.

Deadline for signing? The playoffs themselves? However, any player on a roster after 5pm today, who is later waived, is ineligible to play in the playoffs for another team.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#447 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:59 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Deadline for signing? The playoffs themselves? However, any player on a roster after 5pm today, who is later waived, is ineligible to play in the playoffs for another team.

So we can elevate an Ant or a two way at any time to make them playoff eligible.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#448 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:40 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

So we can elevate an Ant or a two way at any time to make them playoff eligible.

Correct. They don’t have to be on he Pacers roster by March 1, they just can’t be on any other nba teams roster on March 1st.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#449 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g
Wizop
RealGM

Post#450 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:49 am

Indiana Glory on NBATV is worth watching. It's Bird, Reggie, and Zeke telling stories. I recorded a late night episode and there will be more.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#451 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Mar 5, 2024 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Cart before the horse, very telling that the Fever are picking CC :lol: :D
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:03 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cart before the horse, very telling that the Fever are picking CC :lol: :D

They hired her boyfriend a year ago!

But they better be picking CC!
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#453 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 am

This is off topic but decided to put it here. The big ten just got a bit more competitive tonight with the announcement of Michigan hiring Dusty May. Hoosier situation is not good and then this as he will probably be pulling talent to Michigan.

I used to follow the Hoosiers religiously in the Knight area but it’s been an on again off again hard watch ever since. Moving away from Indiana helped to not miss it though.

Didn’t like Davis as he felt a bit soft. Liked Sampson until he got busted. Crean was a name but didn’t produce enough. Dayton coach didn’t work out and I can’t remember his name. Now Woodson struggling to build a winner.

I don’t know if I would’ve had better hire options but IU has not been blessed to rebuild the dynasty while Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina weathered the transitions and kept the course.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#454 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:17 am

Archie Miller was the name you couldn't remember. Woody miscalculated in recruiting for next year by only going for top talent and striking out.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#455 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:40 am

Wizop wrote:Archie Miller was the name you couldn't remember. Woody miscalculated in recruiting for next year by only going for top talent and striking out.

Who are the IU fans here besides you Wizop ? Tom ?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#456 » by Tom White » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:32 pm

You call my name? Yes, I am an IU fan, so I guess I'll give my perspective.

Been an IU fan since the days of Branch McCracken. Enjoyed the 70's and 80's under Knight, but to be honest his "side show" and antics got to be too much for me and I actually quit watching during his last years there. He became a total dick to the players, assistants and anyone who happened to rub him wrong on a given day.

The Neil Reid story was public, but there were other situations that were not so exposed. Back then I was a friend with a son of one of the assistants. There were numerous other "horror stories" that never got told. I'll leave it at that.

The Davis hiring was a mistake, in particular the way it happened, with a few players demanding to get their way on the hire. Those players should have been shown the door. Davis was a decent man, but over his head in that job. He was also treated poorly by a certain amount of the IU "faithful". Yes, I hate to say it, but color had a hand in that.

Looking back, I think Crean did as well as he could, and some years were very good, but it was inconsistent and people were looking for him to be Knight, Part Two. Not letting go of the "legend" was a mistake.

While Sampson did things that are now legal, they were not at that time, and it wasn't his first go-around with thumbing his nose at the rules. Those texts and such were not the only problems though. Alcohol and drug use by players and the idea that going to class was optional became the norm. He had to go.

Archie was in over his head a bit, and just never was comfortable in the fishbowl that is IU ball.

Woody is who Woody is and everyone loved him as a player. Rightfully so. As a coach, I think he thought players would be lining up to play for him and IU, but as we now know, that isn't the case. At times he seems disconnected to the reality of where the program currently is. Will he learn? Lord, I hope so. He has ZERO recruits lined up for next season or even beyond that.

I can still hear the people who said "Woody is one of Bobby's boys, he'll show 'em how it's done". That mindset has always been a problem.

I see that Michigan has hired Dusty May. Good luck to him, but I fear they made that hire based on one season he had at FAU. Still, he seems like a good man, and I wish him well.

You mention UK? Have you paid attention to their lack of success in the tourney? Things are not going well. Calipari can certainly recruit, but he just can't coach.

I think a big problem for the program has been the refusal to ever really say goodbye to the legend. While memories are good to keep, you can't just go on living in them. IU has done that for far too long.

Anyway, enough from me for now.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#457 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 am

Tom White wrote:

Been an IU fan since the days of Branch McCracken. Enjoyed the 70's and 80's under Knight, but to be honest his "side show" and antics got to be too much for me and I actually quit watching during his last years there. He became a total dick to the players, assistants and anyone who happened to rub him wrong on a given day.

The Neil Reid story was public, but there were other situations that were not so exposed. Back then I was a friend with a son of one of the assistants. There were numerous other "horror stories" that never got told. I'll leave it at that.

The Davis hiring was a mistake, in particular the way it happened, with a few players demanding to get their way on the hire. Those players should have been shown the door. Davis was a decent man, but over his head in that job. He was also treated poorly by a certain amount of the IU "faithful". Yes, I hate to say it, but color had a hand in that.

Looking back, I think Crean did as well as he could, and some years were very good, but it was inconsistent and people were looking for him to be Knight, Part Two. Not letting go of the "legend" was a mistake.

While Sampson did things that are now legal, they were not at that time, and it wasn't his first go-around with thumbing his nose at the rules. Those texts and such were not the only problems though. Alcohol and drug use by players and the idea that going to class was optional became the norm. He had to go.

Archie was in over his head a bit, and just never was comfortable in the fishbowl that is IU ball.

Woody is who Woody is and everyone loved him as a player. Rightfully so. As a coach, I think he thought players would be lining up to play for him and IU, but as we now know, that isn't the case. At times he seems disconnected to the reality of where the program currently is. Will he learn? Lord, I hope so. He has ZERO recruits lined up for next season or even beyond that.

I can still hear the people who said "Woody is one of Bobby's boys, he'll show 'em how it's done". That mindset has always been a problem.

I see that Michigan has hired Dusty May. Good luck to him, but I fear they made that hire based on one season he had at FAU. Still, he seems like a good man, and I wish him well.

You mention UK? Have you paid attention to their lack of success in the tourney? Things are not going well. Calipari can certainly recruit, but he just can't coach.

I think a big problem for the program has been the refusal to ever really say goodbye to the legend. While memories are good to keep, you can't just go on living in them. IU has done that for far too long.

Great to hear from you Tom. I remember most everything you so correctly said here as that’s how I’ve viewed the program also.

I was at IU as a student when they beat Micheal Jordan and met Bobby’s son because 2 student trainers lived in my dorm and they would play euchre or some card game. Seems like the student trainer was from a town south of Terre Haute and north of Sullivan.

As for Kentucky I had noticed that they had not been dominant but he was still getting talent which IU has had issues in.

Question for all ? Why do you think that IU has had such problems getting the right big time coach to come and rebuild the title winning tradition. Is it the city, campus, alumni, assembly hall, financial, or other reasons ? Or is it just hard to hit on or lure the right coach like Arizona, Kansas, and others have seemed to do.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#458 » by JMaster5K » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Great to hear from you Tom. I remember most everything you so correctly said here as that’s how I’ve viewed the program also.

I was at IU as a student when they beat Micheal Jordan and met Bobby’s son because 2 student trainers lived in my dorm and they would play euchre or some card game. Seems like the student trainer was from a town south of Terre Haute and north of Sullivan.

As for Kentucky I had noticed that they had not been dominant but he was still getting talent which IU has had issues in.

Question for all ? Why do you think that IU has had such problems getting the right big time coach to come and rebuild the title winning tradition. Is it the city, campus, alumni, assembly hall, financial, or other reasons ? Or is it just hard to hit on or lure the right coach like Arizona, Kansas, and others have seemed to do.

For clarity,.. I am a grad of both IU and Purdue. Purdue was my undergrad, so that's where I list my 'fandom',... but still follow both teams.

Honestly,.. I wish IU would hit on a good coach. Remember the days of when any IU team could beat any Purdue team,.. and Visa-Versa. You never knew who was going to come out on top, regardless of rankings or records. Made the rivalry fun. The only thing you could be sure of,.. that neither team was going to quit, and the game was going to be worth watching. LOL =]

I think Tom is absolutely spot on. The school and the fans won't let go of Coach Knight, and in a larger context,.. the schools coaching history,.. both the good and the bad. When I was in Bloomington, it just felt like the University had been 'stung' by all the backlash concerning Coach Knight (pro or con). Then, the school got a small breath of moving on with Coach Sampson,.. and the school again got stung & had to deal with public opinion. So, the IU board (at least from my limited point of view) seems to keep looking over shoulder of the basketball program? Micro-managing, if you will.

So, it's not just the fishbowl of public opinion, at a high visibility school, but the fishbowl of University management second-guessing, or at least reviewing everything the program does. The University board is still feeling the backlash from their loss of control with Coach Knight & Coach Sampson. They aren't going to let that happen again,... which only escalates the pressure and difficulty in being the coach. That environment would affect anyone's willingness to fill that job? I guess I fear that the 'lack of trust' from the administration has become 'part of the culture' at the IU management level concerning the Basketball team? I don't really see any current reason for it, but it still felt like it when I was on campus?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#459 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:09 pm

to clarify my situation, I did not go to IU. my parents did and they met there and so I was an IU fan from an early age.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#460 » by Pacersike » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm

Wizop wrote:to clarify my situation, I did not go to IU. my parents did and they met there and so I was an IU fan from an early age.

Please show me a heart sign, then I will like you back.

I will not apologize. If someone gives me a fever (feeling), I'm glad I'm not receiving something more deathly.

Return to Indiana Pacers