2023 Pacers offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: 2023 Pacers offseason 

Post#381 » by 8305 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:32 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I get your point of time. But if the team is so short staffed

we've been around this question before. I don't see it as short staff as much as priorities. the Ants are going to be practicing and playing in Gainbridge for the next two years so there will be plenty of time to evaluate the wannabees. I also see it as a reflection of the seriousness of this year's goal to make the playoffs.

Yup. And I see it as laziness, or an unwillingness to accept that they might have been wrong on scouting. We’ve seen so many teams already flip two way roster spots because they felt they may have a different need or a better fit. But we must’ve absolutely nailed our offseason. Couldn’t even consider finding any better players or better fits. Nope. There’s no better players or fits out there.

Sure, we could also see these guys up close at practices, but we can’t see them practice against the nba players. And of the coaches don’t have enough time to see 1-3 more players in camp, when are they going to find the time to go to a completely different teams practices, which cannot overlap in the same space or the same time as the NBA team?

As a fan, it just bugs me. It bugs me that they want to keep costs low. As a fan, I gain nothing from these types of actions. And unless absolutely no unsigned player right now ever makes the nba, and all 3 of our 2 way guys make it to the nba, I’ll feel like their laziness caused them to miss out on a chance at an nba player, simply because they weren’t willing to hire the staff to fill the available roster spots.

The only Miami/Toronto like development success story I’ve seen was Sumner and at the end of the day we got very little from him. Maybe Brissett? What we’ve had more success with is other teams FRP rejects (Warren, Neismith, Oladipo). Hopefully Toppin is the next success story of this nature?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#382 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm

Caitlin has an article up discussing the lessons from the preseason. basically she believes TJ is playing too well to sit and Walker isn't.

Haliburton, McConnell, Nembhard
Brown, Nembhard, Sheppard
Mathurin, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora
Toppin, Nesmith, Walker
Turner, Smith, Jackson, Theis
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#383 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:19 pm

Wizop wrote:Caitlin has an article up discussing the lessons from the preseason. basically she believes TJ is playing too well to sit and Walker isn't.

Haliburton, McConnell, Nembhard
Brown, Nembhard, Sheppard
Mathurin, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora
Toppin, Nesmith, Walker
Turner, Smith, Jackson, Theis

Surprisingly, I kinda like it. I think Walker has so much versatility to his game, that it will probably take him a bit longer to develop into the rotation. (I didn't get to see the whole game,.. only highlights.) A 2nd unit backcourt of TJ & Andrew,.. man you talk about putting your foot on the gas! TyHali could actually get a rest and the team get faster. =]

Thanks for the heads up Wizop. Will be going to CC's patreon tonight to catch up on the reading. =]
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#384 » by Solid » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:51 pm

Caitlan is great. I always enjoy her thoughts. I think that rotation looks about right. Like TJ, Nesmith also looks too good to play third string, and I like him better as a 3 than a four. I still think we need a consolidation trade for a longer wing, but that could even wait until the summer. I see Brown as a piece for a sign and trade in the summer, with Aaron then getting near starter minutes backing up the 3 and 4. I Agree Jarace is green. an all too bendy sapling. Got a bit of a Gumby look about him. Still like his potential. He's strong and scrappy. Not out of the realm of possibility if he learns to shoot, and Obi stiffens up on D, that the two could play minutes together.
Looking forward to their progress the next year or two.
Far more interesting than the obvious holes we had to deal with last year.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#385 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:10 pm

Solid wrote: I still think we need a consolidation trade for a longer wing, but that could even wait until the summer.

I think we're okay at the 3 with Mathurin, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora, and two Browns.

I think Toppin will get 30 minutes at the 4 so I don't see trading for a taller backup as a priority. That assumes Buddy doesn't want out. But this is probably his last year here.

I don't think a trade is required now. Let's see what the 2024 draft gives us first.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#386 » by Solid » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:18 pm

We may end up with a starting 3 out of that bunch, but I'd be no more surprised if it turned out to be Walker instead. shooting guard sized forwards are at a built in disadvantage that has to be accounted for elsewhere. Who is going to guard Paul George's of the league? Not to mention rebounding.
I'm always for proper size at positions unless it is proven the guy is exceptional. Looks like to me we have a handful of really good backup 3s and plenty of credible starting guards.
We need a season to sort them out. I don't see us paying Brown that bag next year. Nesmith and Nembhard should learn some tricks form him and he'll be shipped in a summer deal with picks and maybe another guy for what ever starting forward we've decided we need.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#387 » by JMaster5K » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:35 am

Wizop wrote:
Solid wrote: I still think we need a consolidation trade for a longer wing, but that could even wait until the summer.

I think we're okay at the 3 with Mathurin, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora, and two Browns.

I think Toppin will get 30 minutes at the 4 so I don't see trading for a taller backup as a priority. That assumes Buddy doesn't want out. But this is probably his last year here.

I don't think a trade is required now. Let's see what the 2024 draft gives us first.

have to admit, I've been impressed with Ob1 in the preseason. He's shown that his reputation for speed and transition offense was warranted, but he's also been better than I thought in a set offense, and has shown small signs of adapting his game to fit the role with the Pacers. Seems more focused on rebounding than he was with the Knicks, seems more focused on trying to be an active part of the defense? Have to see how it all plays out, but his game so far, in the small amount of time we've had, seems to be more well rounded than I anticipated.

I do think we could use a longer wing to fill out the rotation, but I think the Pacers are now in a position to be picky. If they get a good shot, at a guy that specifically fits, at a good price, go for it, but we don't have to make a deal, at this point, to address a specific weakness in the team?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#388 » by JMaster5K » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:41 am

Solid wrote:We may end up with a starting 3 out of that bunch, but I'd be no more surprised if it turned out to be Walker instead. shooting guard sized forwards are at a built in disadvantage that has to be accounted for elsewhere. Who is going to guard Paul George's of the league? Not to mention rebounding.
I'm always for proper size at positions unless it is proven the guy is exceptional. Looks like to me we have a handful of really good backup 3s and plenty of credible starting guards.
We need a season to sort them out. I don't see us paying Brown that bag next year. Nesmith and Nembhard should learn some tricks form him and he'll be shipped in a summer deal with picks and maybe another guy for what ever starting forward we've decided we need.

Last year, we used Nembhard and Nesmith as defensive stoppers. Sheppard has also shown some positive signs. If all 3 of these guys improve defensively (as you said, from playing against & being around Brown), we could end up with a pretty deep, defensively talented backcourt/small wings. Maybe not this year or next, but the outlook for say 25-26 has to be pretty positive?

I still think that Brown was brought in to make Mathurin earn his spot as a starter and team pillar. They play remarkably similar games. If that' true, and Mathurin earns his place, add him in to the mix above and it's hard not to be optimistic about the potential on both sides of the ball?
Janquinn87
Freshman
And1: 110

Post#389 » by Janquinn87 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:16 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

have to admit, I've been impressed with Ob1 in the preseason. He's shown that his reputation for speed and transition offense was warranted, but he's also been better than I thought in a set offense, and has shown small signs of adapting his game to fit the role with the Pacers. Seems more focused on rebounding than he was with the Knicks, seems more focused on trying to be an active part of the defense? Have to see how it all plays out, but his game so far, in the small amount of time we've had, seems to be more well rounded than I anticipated.

I do think we could use a longer wing to fill out the rotation, but I think the Pacers are now in a position to be picky. If they get a good shot, at a guy that specifically fits, at a good price, go for it, but we don't have to make a deal, at this point, to address a specific weakness in the team?

Obi will be a better rebounder for the Pacers because Carlisle is playing him closer to the basket. The knicks had him stuck at the 3pt line, much harder to get offensive rebounds.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#390 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:36 am

Janquinn87 wrote:Obi will be a better rebounder for the Pacers because Carlisle is playing him closer to the basket. The knicks had him stuck at the 3pt line, much harder to get offensive rebounds.

Yeah,. you are right on. Toppin said as much in his post game interview after the Cav's preseason game. (I think he had 9 boards & was miffed that he thought he had 10! =} ) Said that Coach has been working with him on crashing the boards & defending lower in team defense. That Coach had proven to him that he was fast to rebound, and still beat most of the other team down the floor. =]

Return to Indiana Pacers