Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: 2023 Pacers Summer League 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 9, 2023 1:17 pm

Tom White wrote:I only saw the second half of the game

We dominated the first half.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#22 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 9, 2023 3:00 pm

Wizop wrote:We dominated the first half.

That is what I heard. The third quarter was scary bad.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#23 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 9, 2023 3:12 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:We dominated the first half.

That is what I heard. The third quarter was scary bad.

And it was reminiscent of too many third quarters from last season.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 9, 2023 6:53 pm

Finally got a chance to look at the box score. Man, there are some things that make your eyes hurt. Three-point shooting was abysmal. Nemb had eight assists, but also eight turnovers. Walker couldn't buy a bucket, but otherwise was good, especially for a rookie. Mathurin with twenty-one shots.......and ZERO assists. Geez Benn, selfish much? Jackson looks to have shined except for his fouling problem. He really has to work hard on that if he wants to get minutes.

So, the coaches will have plenty to talk about before the next game.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#25 » by 8305 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:06 pm

Liked Walker’s activity on defense. Mathurin, Nembhard and Jackson looked good, as expected given the competition level. Maybe it’s just me but, Nembhard still looks like a better player than Mathurin. The Mathurin I saw last night does not push Hield out of the starting lineup.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:25 pm

8305 wrote:The Mathurin I saw last night does not push Hield out of the starting lineup.

Buddy is a better shooter and Benn is a better driver. But I think we're going to run and play a deep rotation to keep everyone fresh. To me the right question is not who are the best five players but what is the best rotation. At this point I'm not even close to knowing whether Buddy and Benn are 2s or 3s.

And if it's true that we're hoping to trade a center getting someone back would complicate the rotation question even more.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:13 pm

Wizop wrote:And if it's true that we're hoping to trade a center getting someone back would complicate the rotation question even more.

Unless they do something like trade Theis for a 2nd round pick. Then they could (I guess) elevate one of the two-way contracts. The thing is, those guys would probably benefit more from having playing time in the G-League than they would from riding the bench with the Pacers.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:57 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:And if it's true that we're hoping to trade a center getting someone back would complicate the rotation question even more.

Unless they do something like trade Theis for a 2nd round pick. Then they could (I guess) elevate one of the two-way contracts. The thing is, those guys would probably benefit more from having playing time in the G-League than they would from riding the bench with the Pacers.

Kellan Brown could get the spot and someone else could be the third two-way
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#29 » by Grang33r » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:59 am

Wasn't able to post last night but i did watch the game. Some of my thoughts-

Walker - Hustle and rebounding was there. And plays tough. His offensive game needs A LOT of work, but i thought his passing/vision was good.

Sheppard - loved how he played defense. Hands always active and moving, hes trying to disrupt the ball handler at all times. Caused a turnover like that which was credited to Walker.

Oscar Tshiebwe - This kid gonna take a lot of work. Raw rebuilding ability, but man he has a lot of work ahead of himself. He's a project for sure.

Kendall Brown - I think he impressed me most last night. Some nice passing, cuts well, runs well without the ball, good defense, good rebounding, he was doing everything. Maybe he's not elite in any one area, but does everything at a good level.

Mathurin - Showed some great 1v1 defense in the first half.

Overall - Thought Pacers played unbelievable defense in the first and used defense to get the offense going on fast breaks and suffocating the Wizards on defense. Second half the Pacers let go of their defensive game and thought they could go blow for blow offensively and they fell apart. I'm surprised they won that game to be honest. If you added 5 more minutes i don't think Pacers end up winning. But a wild turn of events from 1st half to second, essp after Benn goes on ESPN and says he wanted to play so they can start changing teams culture to winning more.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,381

Post#30 » by xBulletproof » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:00 am

Did nobody else notice or is it that I'm on vacation and watching on my phone? But Mathurin college and rookie year pulled his off hand off the ball early before, or did something I thought looked weird on all of his jump shots. It looks like that was gone. When I get home next week I'll have to take a better look at it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:07 pm

Grang33r wrote:Kendall Brown - I think he impressed me most last night. Some nice passing, cuts well, runs well without the ball, good defense, good rebounding, he was doing everything. Maybe he's not elite in any one area, but does everything at a good level.

I thought he was a steal in the draft. If we could trade a center into cap space or a trade exemption (or for someone who could be waived or bought out), I'd happily give him the final roster spot.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:32 pm

Read on Twitter
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#33 » by granger05 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:19 pm

Mathurin seems like a guy that proved enough as a rookie that he doesn't need to participate in summer league. I like when guys like this are the summer roster to expand parts of their game. I was hoping to see him focusing on running the offense and being more of a distributer. I didn't watch the game and it sounds like at least his defensive focus was there a bit more, but the whole being a distributer thing didn't work out yet.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:27 pm

granger05 wrote:I didn't watch the game and it sounds like at least his defensive focus was there a bit more, but the whole being a distributer thing didn't work out yet.

Haliburton, Nembhard, and Walker are all good passers. I think it's more important for Maturin to work on defense than passing. his postgame comments indicated that being a better defender is on his mind.

Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:47 pm

Wizop wrote:
granger05 wrote:Haliburton, Nembhard, and Walker are all good passers. I think it's more important for Maturin to work on defense than passing. his postgame comments indicated that being a better defender is on his mind.

HA! And passing the ball is still clearly not on his mind.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:00 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:
granger05 wrote:Haliburton, Nembhard, and Walker are all good passers. I think it's more important for Maturin to work on defense than passing. his postgame comments indicated that being a better defender is on his mind.

HA! And passing the ball is still clearly not on his mind.

Yup. he needs to work on passing when his drives are met by a double or triple team in the lane.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by granger05 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:09 pm

Wizop wrote:Haliburton, Nembhard, and Walker are all good passers.

I don't expect him to ever be a primary guy, but getting some of those reps in summer league may help him with moving the ball on drive and kick situations. It seemed like Duarte did a bit of this in summer league last year after a solid rookie season.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#38 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:22 am

Well he needs to be both a better defender, a better passer, and a better ball handler

If Mathurin improves even just one area this season, that's already a win to me
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Tom White » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:05 pm

I saw this and had to laugh. Kind of like those old "Which one is different from the others?" questions.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=207yS8hhRaxreeAKQ0AHxA
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by granger05 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:41 pm

Six assists in the last one for Mathurin. That's more promising. He's not as fresh as Myles though. I'm enjoying the memes.

Return to Indiana Pacers