2023 Pacers Summer League

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: 2023 Pacers Summer League 

Post#61 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:50 pm

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#62 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:35 pm

Wizop wrote:all the national talking heads were really praising him. I was surprised by how fast his hands are. he was getting steals and with Turner behind him he should be able to be even more aggressive. I have him playing the 4 with a scorer at the 3 and Toppin playing the 4 with a defender at the 3.

Walker + Mathurin, and Toppin + Brown?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#63 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Walker + Mathurin, and Toppin + Brown?

I would pair them that way to balance offense and defense. Walker and Brown are the defenders. Mathurin and Toppin are the scorers. I'd want to have one of each on the floor except perhaps in the final minutes of each half when both scorers could play when we have the ball and both defenders could play when the opponent has it.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#64 » by JMaster5K » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:13 pm

Wizop wrote:Locked on Pacers with Caitlin Cooper

Thank you !! :D
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#65 » by JMaster5K » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Walker + Mathurin, and Toppin + Brown?

I would pair them that way to balance offense and defense. Walker and Brown are the defenders. Mathurin and Toppin are the scorers. I'd want to have one of each on the floor except perhaps in the final minutes of each half when both scorers could play when we have the ball and both defenders could play when the opponent has it.

Went back & re-watched the summer league games,... It's made me think that Walker, in his first year, would play both the 3 & 4, with most of his minutes at the 4,... but with the hope he grows into the starter at the 3? He seems to me to fit with Coach's past preferences? (Ron Artest, Dorian Finney-Smith, Harrison Barnes, etc.) specifically, the defensive focus, the larger size, the plus level floor & ball skills?

Would give us the options of playing him for his defense on either side of floor with either Toppin or Mathurin?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:49 pm

JMaster5K wrote:It's made me think that Walker, in his first year, would play both the 3 & 4, with most of his minutes at the 4,... but with the hope he grows into the starter at the 3?

I think he's more likely to get minutes as a small ball 5 than as a 3, but we'll see. I think this is particularly true this year as they like to keep rookies at one position to minimize what they have to learn. as for next year, let's wait to see what the draft gives us.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#67 » by JMaster5K » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:10 am

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:It's made me think that Walker, in his first year, would play both the 3 & 4, with most of his minutes at the 4,... but with the hope he grows into the starter at the 3?

I think he's more likely to get minutes as a small ball 5 than as a 3, but we'll see. I think this is particularly true this year as they like to keep rookies at one position to minimize what they have to learn. as for next year, let's wait to see what the draft gives us.

Could be,.. I don't remember seeing him play much 5 in summer league? but I could have easily missed it? I do remember seeing him switch out onto wings,. and then remain on the perimeter,. but,. well,. that was summer league. It would be really wrong to base almost anything on summer league. LOL :D =}
Wizop
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:15 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I don't remember seeing him play much 5 in summer league?

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Toppin get some time on the floor together. even smaller lineups with Nesmith or Nwora are also possible depending upon the matchups.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#69 » by JMaster5K » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:54 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I don't remember seeing him play much 5 in summer league?

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Toppin get some time on the floor together. even smaller lineups with Nesmith or Nwora are also possible depending upon the matchups.

I think you might be right. As CCooper keeps pointing out,... we had the 2nd best player in offensive transition efficiency in the league last year (Haliburton),... we signed the 3rd best in free agency (Brown),... then traded for the best (Toppin). If nothing else, that would make me think that this year we are going to run! LOL =]

Which just reinforces your point,.. we are probably going to see some lineups that we wouldn't 'normally' expect just to keep the peddle to the floor. Coach has done this before,... and it was really effective against teams like Denver (with Jokic) that are strong, but aren't that fast. If our cardio is up to the test, we might just surprise a few teams?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:05 pm

JMaster5K wrote: If our cardio is up to the test, we might just surprise a few teams?

I keep thinking of Denver back in the day. We don't have the altitude advantage they did, but we have a lot of relatively equal players we can rotate
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#71 » by JMaster5K » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:46 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote: If our cardio is up to the test, we might just surprise a few teams?

I keep thinking of Denver back in the day. We don't have the altitude advantage they did, but we have a lot of relatively equal players we can rotate

exactly,... and Myles big advantage over most other 5's,... his athleticism & speed. He isn't stronger. He's not tougher in the post. But,. he can put massive pressure on the rim by running out on most other 5's? (can make an impact even if he ends up as the designated shooter on trailer 3's). On the teams with a 'big 3', and mostly min contract depth, we should be able to do the same thing. Expose many teams lack of speed, or lack of depth. (Coach is really good at this) Over the course of a 5 or 7 game series could really wear an opponent down as well.

Somewhere,... Fat Lever is smiling,... LOL =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:09 pm

JMaster5K wrote:exactly,... and Myles big advantage over most other 5's,... his athleticism & speed.

Jackson and Smith can also run.

FWIW, I spaced on a name in the prior post. I was thinking of Denver when coached by Doug Moe.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#73 » by JMaster5K » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:35 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:exactly,... and Myles big advantage over most other 5's,... his athleticism & speed.

Jackson and Smith can also run.

FWIW, I spaced on a name in the prior post. I was thinking of Denver when coached by Doug Moe.

Yup,... All our bigs can run. Now, if we can only pull it off?....

I understood, was right there with ya. The run & gun Suns,.. Moe coached them from '81-89. His all star guard from 84-85 through the end of his run was,.... Fat Lever,... (hence my comment before) LOL =]

FWIW,.. the Denver coach before Moe was Donnie Walsh,.. Yes,.. our, long-time Pacers GM / president,.. Donnie Walsh,.. =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:42 pm

JMaster5K wrote:FWIW,.. the Denver coach before Moe was Donnie Walsh,.. Yes,.. our, long-time Pacers GM / president,.. Donnie Walsh,.. =]

I remember Donnie as a Denver GM but you could be right that he was a coach there earlier. the horrible Pacer trade that sent Alex English to Denver for an over the hill McGinnis was made by Donnie . . . for Denver.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#75 » by Topofthekey » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:17 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:FWIW,.. the Denver coach before Moe was Donnie Walsh,.. Yes,.. our, long-time Pacers GM / president,.. Donnie Walsh,.. =]

I remember Donnie as a Denver GM but you could be right that he was a coach there earlier. the horrible Pacer trade that sent Alex English to Denver for an over the hill McGinnis was made by Donnie . . . for Denver.

Fascinating to examine how relationships between GMs affect trades made

Do you think that trade was purely a blunder, or was he maybe repaying the Nuggets or something
Wizop
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:22 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Do you think that trade was purely a blunder, or was he maybe repaying the Nuggets or something

Donnie was the GM in Denver. The Leonard's were in charge in Indy. I've always thought this trade was why they were replaced.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#77 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 am

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Donnie was the GM in Denver. The Leonard's were in charge in Indy. I've always thought this trade was why they were replaced.

the trade for McGinnis for Alex English was horrible. I called in on WIBC and got hung up on by the host because I said is was a bad idea when they were just talking about it. I like McGinnis but he was way over the hill.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:43 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
the trade for McGinnis for Alex English was horrible. I called in on WIBC and got hung up on by the host because I said is was a bad idea when they were just talking about it. I like McGinnis but he was way over the hill.

It also destroyed locker room chemistry. Slick did it because we'd been out of the playoffs for a long time and he thought George would help us make a late season run, but the starting forwards felt disrespected.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#79 » by JMaster5K » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:03 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

It also destroyed locker room chemistry. Slick did it because we'd been out of the playoffs for a long time and he thought George would help us make a late season run, but the starting forwards felt disrespected.

I seem to remember an interview around that time, Slick was saying that the Pacers had a lot of forwards that could play, but they needed someone with some strength & toughness. But, having said that, I remember thinking at the time that trading English, even for big George, would come back to haunt the Pacers. Unless there was something going on behind the scene's (which didn't usually come out publicly like it does now), both in real-time and hind-sight, that was not a good trade.

Return to Indiana Pacers