Pacers sign Bruce Brown 2 years, $45 million

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grangerous
Junior
And1: 4

Pacers sign Bruce Brown 2 years, $45 million 

Post#1 » by Grangerous » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:35 am

Welcome Bruce Brown to the Pacers. Definitely love the player, seems to be a great culture fit. Still not the height/length I’m wanting the Pacers to go after, but could fit at the 3 or off the bench as roster stands.
Certainly seems like a lot of money but they essentially have to with the new cap rules. With the second year being a team option, I really like the deal and overall thing Bruce will be someone we all love as Pacers fans.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Re: Bruce Brown 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:26 am

I love his game, elite defender, hard worker, on espn they said prior to this season he’s just made $15 million. Shows hard work pays off.

Love his style of play. Zach Lowe during the playoffs called it “bully ball”. We needed that. He might not become a star on this team but he has a chance to be a heart and soul type player.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Pacers sign Bruce Brown 2 years, $45 million 

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:49 am

:lol:
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:56 am

basketballwacko2 wrote::lol:

O boy.

Nothing will make you happy this off season I don’t think lol
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 9:38 am

Grang33r wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote::lol:

O boy.

Nothing will make you happy this off season I don’t think lol

Was this signing supposed to make me happy? Am I supposed to feel good about this team giving $45 million to this guy? If they needed a 6'4'' guard it might be one thing. 11.5 points per game, 3.4 assists, 4 rebounds 35% 3 point shooter, I don't see any reason this guy should have been signed. He's gonna be 27 in six weeks so it's not like he's a high upside player. This is just not even trying, before midnight on July 1st their announcing this?

The only redeeming factor in this contract is that the 2nd year is a team option, or so I've heard, so maybe they trade him off at the deadline or just dump him next summer to free up money to pay Haliburton.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#6 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#7 » by granger05 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:12 am

Back in the day, I felt like the Pacers had a creative cap person on the payroll. Maybe somebody on this board even knows a name. When we signed Collison and Bogdanovic their contracts had pretty late guarantees and were kind of setup to be used as trade chips. Then that season, everybody played pretty well and the team decided to keep things together rather than taking advantage of any of that.

I kind of wonder if Bruce Brown's contract falls into that category as well. He's a guy any contender may want at the deadline and he can be used as an expiring as well. It seems that the new CBA has some more stringent matching requirements on teams over the various aprons. I wondered if Brown's $22m number fell into a range that was particularly interesting for matching purposes.

I like him, but it being just a one year deal potentially made me wonder.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 2, 2023 2:38 pm

granger05 wrote: I wondered if Brown's $22m number fell into a range that was particularly interesting for matching purposes.

The number also ties to our distance from the floor
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,066

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 2, 2023 6:40 pm

granger05 wrote:Back in the day, I felt like the Pacers had a creative cap person on the payroll. Maybe somebody on this board even knows a name. When we signed Collison and Bogdanovic their contracts had pretty late guarantees and were kind of setup to be used as trade chips. Then that season, everybody played pretty well and the team decided to keep things together rather than taking advantage of any of that.

Not particularly. Those contracts were pretty standard for the time for the players those guys were. Bogs and Collison were available at a lower tier of free agency, and gave up contract guarantee dates for a little extra salary?

The Pacers haven't really had a creative cap person on the payroll until they hired Ted Wu from the league offices at the very end of 2020.
I kind of wonder if Bruce Brown's contract falls into that category as well. He's a guy any contender may want at the deadline and he can be used as an expiring as well. It seems that the new CBA has some more stringent matching requirements on teams over the various aprons. I wondered if Brown's $22m number fell into a range that was particularly interesting for matching purposes.

His salary range isn't particularly helpful or hurtful in trades. He's basically an expiring contract if he's not very good. If he's good, he could be traded for a year and a half of production, and then he'd only have Early Bird Rights, but that shouldn't be much of an issue if a team wished to re-sign him. The shortness of his contract requires that he cannot be extended, but would have to hit free agency.

I would assume the Pacers were intrigued, but paid a little extra to cover their bases just in case Brown doesn't scale up in production with the additional playing time and responsibilities the Pacers are likely to offer him?
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#10 » by granger05 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:19 pm

Hollinger talked about it this morning on the athletic here.

In fact, the smartest plays I’ve seen on the board have come from teams such as Orlando and Indiana, who have adopted something of a hybrid strategy by essentially turning their cap room into both a useful player and a trade exception.

Bruce Brown is overpaid at $45 million over two years, but with a second-year team option he basically operates as a trade exception. If any deal comes up to get the Pacers a truly difference-making player, they have the large expiring deal they need …and that’s true at any point in the next two years if they pick up the option. In the meantime, they landed a genuinely useful player to help in the backcourt; this is way higher up the food chain than absorbing a salary dump
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,066

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g

Press conference now.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:41 pm

presser is online but first 7 and a half minutes are just an empty stage so click ahead.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#13 » by Grang33r » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:09 am

Brown was interviewed on ESPN last night during the game and mentioned he was heavily recruited by Tyrese to come to Indiana. Mentioned Pacers being a up-and-coming team and team that plays fast as two reasons why he chose Indiana. But it's cool to see Tyrese recruiting for the Pacers.

I know that's been a bit of a controversial topic when it comes to Paul George about his lack of recruiting.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,307

Post#14 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Grang33r wrote:Brown was interviewed on ESPN last night during the game and mentioned he was heavily recruited by Tyrese to come to Indiana. Mentioned Pacers being a up-and-coming team and team that plays fast as two reasons why he chose Indiana. But it's cool to see Tyrese recruiting for the Pacers.

I know that's been a bit of a controversial topic when it comes to Paul George about his lack of recruiting.

Haliburton being so connected league wide could be a game changer.

Return to Indiana Pacers