Hello Obi Toppin

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Janquinn87
Freshman
And1: 110

Re: Hello Obi Toppin 

Post#61 » by Janquinn87 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 12:54 am

Obi agent is the team president son, that's why draft capital was cheap. They wanted to find him a home where he could start. It's a good look for C.A.A clients but not for the knicks. The Pacers been trying to get Obi since last year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,069

Post#62 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 9, 2023 1:53 am

Janquinn87 wrote:Obi agent is the team president son, that's why draft capital was cheap. They wanted to find him a home where he could start. It's a good look for C.A.A clients but not for the knicks. The Pacers been trying to get Obi since last year.

Draft capital was cheap because that’s all he was worth on the market.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#63 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:07 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Janquinn87 wrote:Knick fan for 45 years never heard that Obi didn't practice hard or lazy. Thibs said Obi reminds him of Taj Gibson because he played with joy and the guys like playing with him. Obi only problem was Thibs lack of imagination refusing to try him at Sf or small ball center.

Taj Gibson was dam near untouchable on Thibs teams. Taj played starter mins off the bench over Booz. The knicks minute distribution suggests otherwise. Sometimes Randle was awful from the field and Obi still didn't steal minutes from him.

Its not a bad observation on your part but you're applying a logic that doesn't apply to Thibs. Thibs played Taj over Mitch too. He just trusts Taj in a way that's just unique to say the least. Every coach has that dude. Less talents, less athletic but is just that O.G. guy he trusts. With good reason too cuz Taj knows how to play, but remember Obi was a sophomore when Taj was there and Thibs is trying to win. Thats not to say the Pacers aren't but correct me if I'm wrong you're building a young, exciting fresh team. Thibs ain't got time for that crap.

But no. I don't trust that rumor. IDK about Janquinn but I live in NY. Read everything and listen to everything related and not once did this rumor come up and you guys know they leave no stone unturned in NY when it comes to finding out issues with players. They'll create issues where they don't exist and not once have I read that. However, the Knicks do a good job these days of keeping things in house so I'll give it a 98% on the BS meter.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:44 pm

Picks official from the trade:

2028 second round draft pick from Phoenix (effectively a swap, Indiana outgoing to New York)
Indiana will receive the more favorable of its 2028 2nd round pick and Phoenix's 2028 2nd round pick and New York will receive the less favorable of the two (via Indiana) [Indiana-Phoenix-Washington, 6/23/2023; Indiana-New York, 7/7/2023]

2029 second round draft pick from Washington (effectively a swap, Indiana outgoing to New York)
Indiana will receive the more favorable of its 2029 2nd round pick and Washington's 2029 2nd round pick and New York will receive the less favorable of the two (via Indiana) [Indiana-Phoenix-Washington, 6/23/2023; Indiana-New York, 7/7/2023]
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 4, 2023 2:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,075

Post#66 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:08 pm

Obi is getting better as the season goes on. which is not to say he doesn't have more to learn.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#67 » by jowglenn » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:26 pm

He was a great addition, I think the Pacers brass knew that he was a good fit with our offense and with Haliburton - great at running the floor and cutting to the basket
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Post#68 » by JMaster5K » Mon Dec 4, 2023 9:25 pm

Wizop wrote:Obi is getting better as the season goes on. which is not to say he doesn't have more to learn.

Coach put him on Butler in the Miami game. He didn't look like a future defensive monster,... but earlier this season, I don't think he would have even held his own. To be fair,. he pretty much did. Nobody shuts down Jimmy, but he made him work harder than we have been able to do in the past.

I wouldn't have guessed that at the beginning of the year. LOL =]
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#69 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:04 am

If they get more consistent good performances from newcomers Obi and Bruce then they will continue to beat the decent teams. Without them Tyrese and Myles can’t do it all.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#70 » by Topofthekey » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:02 am

The problem with Obi is when an opponent's shot goes up he usually looks to start running, instead of boxing out or helping secure the defensive rebound

Coupled with the fact that Turner often provides help defense and moves to challenge shots near the rim, it becomes an issue because the two tallest players on the team are often not in good rebounding position
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#71 » by JMaster5K » Wed Dec 6, 2023 4:28 pm

Topofthekey wrote:The problem with Obi is when an opponent's shot goes up he usually looks to start running, instead of boxing out or helping secure the defensive rebound

Coupled with the fact that Turner often provides help defense and moves to challenge shots near the rim, it becomes an issue because the two tallest players on the team are often not in good rebounding position

That is very, very true. In the 1st round knockout game against the Celtics, OB1 seemed like he stayed home more often. There were a number of plays where the help defense came from OB, and because he was actually coming on the help, Myles was able to stay home. We still had those *(&(*) moments that cost us, but, at least in my opinion, the defense seemed to be making steps.

I know stats can be misleading,. but last year in NY, OB had 12 blocks in 1050 minutes,.. this year,. he's got 12 blocks in 473 minutes. Against the C's, he didn't seem to be as out of position as the earlier games. I mean, our D wasn't great,. probably not even good,.. but dare I say,.. I thought it was better?..... (well, in relative terms anyway? or I could just be seeing things?.... ) 8/
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Wed Dec 6, 2023 6:14 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:The problem with Obi is when an opponent's shot goes up he usually looks to start running, instead of boxing out or helping secure the defensive rebound

That is very, very true.

I don't think it's still very, very true. maybe just true. it was very, very true in NY and I assume they coached him that way. I think it is fair to say that he's learning to play differently here, but isn't all the way there yet.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#73 » by JMaster5K » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:22 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

That is very, very true.

I don't think it's still very, very true. maybe just true. it was very, very true in NY and I assume they coached him that way. I think it is fair to say that he's learning to play differently here, but isn't all the way there yet.

Yeah.,... that's exactly it. Like he seems to have untapped IQ and upside, that he didn't know was there because no one actually ask him to do these things before,... and now he is starting to actually see, on the floor, how they are supposed to happen, and what advantages can come from them. =}
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 406

Post#74 » by Grang33r » Fri Dec 8, 2023 3:07 am

This guy can fly. The chemistry he's building with Tyrese might become special if they both can remain healthy and keep working with each other. Wild duo.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#75 » by Topofthekey » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:08 pm

Haven't seen this discussed much

Toppin's a free agent this offseason

What do we think is the plan with him? Does he have a long term role with the team?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizop » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:28 pm

Topofthekey wrote:What do we think is the plan with him? Does he have a long term role with the team?

isn't there a team option? I think we'll execute it. but maybe the option was for this year. either way I'd extend him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:49 am

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:What do we think is the plan with him? Does he have a long term role with the team?

isn't there a team option? I think we'll execute it. but maybe the option was for this year. either way I'd extend him.

He’s playing in he 4th, and last, year of his rookie contract. He’ll be a restricted free agent at years end.

To me, you slow play him in restricted free agency and see if he’ll take an Aaron Nesmith or lower sized contract. Higher than that, and I think you work to sign and trade him.

His qualifying offer right now is $9.17m. At this moment, I think he’s a risk to sign the QO if it’s extended, and that wouldn’t be a great thing, as it essentially renders him untradeable.

Return to Indiana Pacers