World Cup

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

World Cup 

Post#1 » by granger05 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:17 pm

It seems like Haliburton is going to be figuring prominently on this team and I've only been reading good things about his play. I haven't had much luck tracking down box scores for these exhibition matches, but I know he had a 12 assist game (I think against Spain). Anyway, another good game from him against Germany.

From The Athletic:
Germany went ahead 71-55 with 3:51 in the third quarter when Haliburton came alive. He scored 11 of his 16 points in the quarter, with the last of his three 3s splashing with :56 to cut the deficit to 74-71.

From the AP:
The comeback really started late in the third, when Haliburton scored 11 points in less than 3 minutes to bring the U.S. back from 16 down to within three and spark serious hope.

Haliburton needed only seven shots for his 16 points.

The US plays their opener, Saturday, against New Zealand in the Phillipines.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: World Cup 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:55 pm

Lots of positive Haliburton stuff here first re Team USA and later in picking the Pacers as one of 5 lottery teams they think can make the playoffs.

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#3 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:44 pm

We can't forget to give props to Buddy Hield and the Bahamas team while we're at it. They just knocked off Argentina.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,066

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:59 pm

Tom White wrote:We can't forget to give props to Buddy Hield and the Bahamas team while we're at it. They just knocked off Argentina.

Absolutely. The Bahamas had to earn their way into the World Cup and did so by winning their regional tournament, with Buddy clearly leading the way.

Also, Daniel Theis has been playing REALLY well for Germany. He could certainly help us if we choose to go with a vet in the backup 5 role. Or maybe someone else will see him healthy and make an offer?
Cresy06
Junior
And1: 457

Post#5 » by Cresy06 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:05 am

Daniel Theis has been amazing for Germany, he looks to be in the best shape of his life.

It's a shame his role on the Pacers is not really defined...Do you think the Pacers can swap him for a late 1st or a couple of 2nds? Or do they move him to backup C in front of Jackson? Might as well move Jackson then, but that's very short sighted imo.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:36 am

Cresy06 wrote:Daniel Theis has been amazing for Germany, he looks to be in the best shape of his life.

It's a shame his role on the Pacers is not really defined...

I think it’s pretty defined. If Indy is focusing on solely winning, we’ll see him and Buddy a ton in the rotations, with Theis as the primary backup 5. If Indy is continuing to focus on development and slow progression, then we’ll see him on the bench for Jackson and Jalen to get some minutes in hopes of developing.

Do you think the Pacers can swap him for a late 1st or a couple of 2nds?

Unless Indy is taking back a pretty terrible multi year contract in exchange for Theis’s expiring, he just doesn’t have that type of positive value in a trade. Maybe a second or two for a dead expiring to the right team at the deadline? If he could return that value, he would’ve already been dealt, I think?
Or do they move him to backup C in front of Jackson? Might as well move Jackson then, but that's very short sighted imo.

This is very possible and maybe the easiest indicator early in the year as to if the focus on development is less so than the playoffs at all cost mentality? Theis can clearly hold the fort down as a solid vet backup center and probably help stabilize some of those bench minutes that used to just collapse leads at times last year.

As for Jackson/Jalen? Yeah, good question there seems to be a role for one or the other this year, and it would’ve been nice to see the other moved in trade before then. There’s only a role for both if Theis again is relegated to the end of the bench. But Theis is clearly better than those two RIGHT NOW, so it’s hard to do that.

I could see Jackson on the deep bench, as we have his rookie contract this year and next and then restricted free agency. I less see Jalen there, and it’s possible he could push for a trade if he’s deep on the bench, after being promised a starting spot to re sign here last year.

All really good questions and points, though. Thanks for bringing it up!
Cresy06
Junior
And1: 457

Post#7 » by Cresy06 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:48 pm

All good answers, thanks Scoot.

What you're saying is basically what I meant with no defined role. Is he the backup C or is he out of the rotation?
I guess we will see, but I think he's clearly the best backup C available right now, and I think he could have a very valuable role as a veteran player.
He's been on great teams, has seen enough Basketball between NBA and FIBA, and I think the Pacers can use some more veteran presence.

This makes me believe that we should actually try to move Jalen Smith (I prefer Jackson over Smith)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:14 pm

Cresy06 wrote:All good answers, thanks Scoot.

What you're saying is basically what I meant with no defined role. Is he the backup C or is he out of the rotation?
I guess we will see, but I think he's clearly the best backup C available right now, and I think he could have a very valuable role as a veteran player.
He's been on great teams, has seen enough Basketball between NBA and FIBA, and I think the Pacers can use some more veteran presence.

This makes me believe that we should actually try to move Jalen Smith (I prefer Jackson over Smith)

I can’t add anything to this. It’s all solid and I pretty much agree with it all.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 149

Post#9 » by JMaster5K » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:28 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Cresy06 wrote:All good answers, thanks Scoot.

I can’t add anything to this. It’s all solid and I pretty much agree with it all.

I have to believe that your thoughts are right on. If the season goes better than expected, I too have to believe Theis will have a larger role with I-Jacks & Stix losing time.

In any situation, looking forward to the 2024 draft, this has to be a 'step up' year for both I-Jacks and Stix. Someone has to prove that they are a consistent, important part of the rotation for the foreseeable future. If not, they could both be gone with a draftee brought in to fill the developmental, rotation role at the 5. (There are a number of 5's & 4/5's projected in the first round of the 23 draft.) If neither steps up,.. It should also be on the table for 1 or both (of I-jacks & Stix) to be moved at the deadline.

Return to Indiana Pacers