Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: Nesmith extends: 3/$33m 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:48 pm

RealGM also has this news. I think it confirms that he's in Carlisle's 10 man rotation.

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#3 » by jowglenn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:26 pm

Great deal. Some people on the T&T board are **** on it but obviously they didn't watch any Pacers games last year. Nesmith was plunged into a starting role and performed pretty admirably. Now with the additions of Bruce Brown and Toppin he won't have as much pressure on him; can just be an 8th man rotation piece and thrive in that role.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,065

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:00 pm

jowglenn wrote:Great deal. Some people on the T&T board are **** on it but obviously they didn't watch any Pacers games last year. Nesmith was plunged into a starting role and performed pretty admirably. Now with the additions of Bruce Brown and Toppin he won't have as much pressure on him; can just be an 8th man rotation piece and thrive in that role.

I think it could be fine. I just don’t think he would’ve had bigger offers waiting for him in restricted free agency? The risk is all on Indy, and very little on Nesmith, with this signing. He’s a really good defender, and he’s an ok shooter. That it’s only 3 years, and not 4, makes me feel better? But I honk this means Buddy is gone for sure at the end of the year.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#5 » by jowglenn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Great deal. Some people on the T&T board are **** on it but obviously they didn't watch any Pacers games last year. Nesmith was plunged into a starting role and performed pretty admirably. Now with the additions of Bruce Brown and Toppin he won't have as much pressure on him; can just be an 8th man rotation piece and thrive in that role.

I think it could be fine. I just don’t think he would’ve had bigger offers waiting for him in restricted free agency? The risk is all on Indy, and very little on Nesmith, with this signing. He’s a really good defender, and he’s an ok shooter. That it’s only 3 years, and not 4, makes me feel better? But I honk this means Buddy is gone for sure at the end of the year.

Odds are high that Buddy is gone; there's a possibility he stays but I think it's like 9:1 against it. And Bruce Brown is on that 1+1 deal; in theory he could be a disappointment and the Pacers could decline his TO. So Nesmith is a bulwark against being stuck with very few options on the wing in case both of those guys bounce. Nesmith is continuity, stability, a rotation piece locked up for the next few years.

And who knows - in a year maybe he would have bigger offers in RFA. He could have a really good year - he got his reps in last year, started a ton of games, now he gets to slide a little bit back into a 7th/8th man role that makes more sense and maybe he really really excels at that. If he puts up 12/5 with good defense on 38% 3 point shooting? He'd for sure get nice offers in RFA.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,306

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Seems reasonable to me.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:28 pm

jowglenn wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Odds are high that Buddy is gone; there's a possibility he stays but I think it's like 9:1 against it. And Bruce Brown is on that 1+1 deal; in theory he could be a disappointment and the Pacers could decline his TO. So Nesmith is a bulwark against being stuck with very few options on the wing in case both of those guys bounce. Nesmith is continuity, stability, a rotation piece locked up for the next few years.

I mean, if Bruce is a disappointment, it's much more likely that Buddy stays, right? We can extend him up until he hits free agency, and if Bruce disappoints, then Buddy/Nesmith will gain his minutes.

And who knows - in a year maybe he would have bigger offers in RFA. He could have a really good year - he got his reps in last year, started a ton of games, now he gets to slide a little bit back into a 7th/8th man role that makes more sense and maybe he really really excels at that. If he puts up 12/5 with good defense on 38% 3 point shooting? He'd for sure get nice offers in RFA.

If he really excels at the 7th/8th man as you've said, then maybe he gets offers in the neighborhood of 3/$33m? And again, as a restricted free agent, usually rates are pulled down, as teams are much less willing to lock up their free agent cap space until July 10th waiting for a decision on whether or not to match. And for a 7th/8th type man, teams really won't wait.

But yes? Maybe he gets bigger offers? But if he does, at least he'll have proven he improved greatly this year and is worthy of 3/33 or even more? Again, this contract signing now is all risk for Indy. Very little risk for Nesmith.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#8 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:02 pm

I like it. It shows they are putting some trust in Nesmith. He might have fewer minutes this year, but no matter how the roster starts to shake out, next year he should be in a (as you said) a 6th, 7th, 8th man role, key player off the bench. Usually, on a playoff team, you look at the first people off the bench being somewhere around the non-taxpayer MLE. (Well,.. unless that team has 3 superstars that eat up 90% of the cap & all they can afford are min contracts,...) =/ According to Spotrac, his contract is a straight 11 Mil a season after this one, and the NTP-MLE this year is 12,405,000.

I would think they are saying to him, we have faith in you, you are part of our long term plans. At the same time, the last 2 years of his extension should be a reasonable contract, even team friendly for what they expect him to become.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#9 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:09 pm

If I go look at the guys that signed contracts in that same neighborhood (again from Spotrac), Robert Covington, Robert Williams III, Coby White, Talen Horton-Tucker, P.J. Tucker, Joe Ingles, Maxi Kleiber, Donte DiVincenzo, Terrence Mann, Gabe Vincent. I don't really feel like Nesmith is out of place in this group?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:08 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I like it. It shows they are putting some trust in Nesmith. He might have fewer minutes this year, but no matter how the roster starts to shake out, next year he should be in a (as you said) a 6th, 7th, 8th man role, key player off the bench. Usually, on a playoff team, you look at the first people off the bench being somewhere around the non-taxpayer MLE. (Well,.. unless that team has 3 superstars that eat up 90% of the cap & all they can afford are min contracts,...) =/ According to Spotrac, his contract is a straight 11 Mil a season after this one, and the NTP-MLE this year is 12,405,000.

I would think they are saying to him, we have faith in you, you are part of our long term plans. At the same time, the last 2 years of his extension should be a reasonable contract, even team friendly for what they expect him to become.

That’s just a place holder by Keith Smith at Spotrac so far. The specifics haven’t been released. It might be flat. Could be descending. Could be a normal ascending contract. Haven’t seen anyone report on that yet.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

Tony East reporting no options.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#12 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:That’s just a place holder by Keith Smith at Spotrac so far. The specifics haven’t been released. It might be flat. Could be descending. Could be a normal ascending contract. Haven’t seen anyone report on that yet.

Thanks Scoot. =]

Nice article from the Star on it.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2023/10/23/pacers-wing-aaron-nesmith-signs-three-year-33-million-extension/71288876007/
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,381

Post#13 » by xBulletproof » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:12 am

This is a good deal to me. How he played last season he was essentially worth this. If his improvement off the dribble and such in the preseason sticks, then he's worth even more. This is the deal I'd hope he'd sign, but didn't figure he wouldn't be willing. I guess being a free agent when you're 27 still is a big deal too.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#14 » by vtime » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:16 am

Great value
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#15 » by 8305 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:54 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don’t get this. If things go the way you want them the wings, starters Brown/Mathurin 1st off the bench Hield/Nembhard. At the 4 it’s Toppin/Walker. We could be committed to a 5th wing and a horribly undersized off the bench 4. Have to agree was this necessary?

If TJ and Hield are destined for other teams this makes sense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:19 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don’t get this. If things go the way you want them the wings, starters Brown/Mathurin 1st off the bench Hield/Nembhard. At the 4 it’s Toppin/Walker. We could be committed to a 5th wing and a horribly undersized off the bench 4. Have to agree was this necessary?

If TJ and Hield are destined for other teams this makes sense.

I’m a little less worried about the roster situation thing. Maybe Obi/Walker don’t pan out? Maybe Brown isn’t a great fit? Who knows. My big issue is that Nesmith has proven to be a good wing defender In the nba, and a serviceable enough 3 point shooter in the nba, most years. He's kind of the defensive inverse of a Kelly Oubre, thus far. Hes like a Reggie Bullock type wing. Those guys generally get one or two years at a time because they’re so hot and cold on a season to season basis. We’re clearly committing on “hope” but get he’ll develop enough of a reliable shot to keep around long term, but we haven’t seen it yet.

It’s probably fine. It’s small enough, relatively. I’m just a little cautious after seeing the era of Croshere’s, Bender’s, Tinsley’s, etc and extended early and over market on hope that they’d eventually develop those holes that we desperately needed them to.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:18 pm

8305 wrote:I don’t get this. If things go the way you want them the wings, starters Brown/Mathurin 1st off the bench Hield/Nembhard. At the 4 it’s Toppin/Walker.

not yet it isn't Toppin/Walker at the 4. right now it's Toppin/Nesmith. then at some point when Walker is ready for bigger minutes, Nesmith takes minutes from Hield at the 3.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#18 » by 8305 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:I don’t get this. If things go the way you want them the wings, starters Brown/Mathurin 1st off the bench Hield/Nembhard. At the 4 it’s Toppin/Walker.

not yet it isn't Toppin/Walker at the 4. right now it's Toppin/Nesmith. then at some point when Walker is ready for bigger minutes, Nesmith takes minutes from Hield at the 3.

I’m a little concerned by the lack of size of the second unit with Nesmith at the 4. I’d also say if Hield is on the team he plays. Can’t see taking minutes away from an elite shooter to create minutes for bench level 3 and D player.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:07 pm

8305 wrote:I’m a little concerned by the lack of size of the second unit with Nesmith at the 4.

That's understandable. I think we have to hope that big 4s won't be able to stay in front of him.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#20 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:30 pm

I’m good with the extension.

My first impression of Nesmith was that he had underperformed in Boston becoming expendable. He felt like a project.

I admit I am pleasantly surprised at his development last season compared to his previous seasons with the Celtics.

I think he’s capable of improving his game still yearly based on age. I see him being a valuable role player for the rest of his time here. I don’t see him as a future starter and think his value is equal to his salary.

Return to Indiana Pacers