Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,137

Re: Starting Five 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
jowglenn wrote:As far as I'm concerned only Halliburton, Brown and Turner should be guaranteed starters.

I would drop Brown from the guaranteed starter list.

I wouldn’t. He's been pretty productive and very defensively flexible. I think he really adds a lot to the team. Whether he’s at 2, 3, or 4, I think he should clearly start.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,148

Post#22 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
jowglenn wrote:As far as I'm concerned only Halliburton, Brown and Turner should be guaranteed starters.

I would drop Brown from the guaranteed starter list.

I wouldn’t. He's been pretty productive and very defensively flexible. I think he really adds a lot to the team. Whether he’s at 2, 3, or 4, I think he should clearly start.

I'm a big believer in the Red Auerbach approach that says the best rotation doesn't always begin with the best five players on the floor. I expect we'll try some different lineups before too long.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 166

Post#23 » by JMaster5K » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:46 am

Wonder how long it's gonna be before Sheppard becomes a featured, large part of the rotation, because of the combination of shooting, and giving us another perimeter or wing defender? This year may be a bit premature, but can see him making a larger contribution than Walker, or even Mathurin in the short run?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#24 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:13 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Wonder how long it's gonna be before Sheppard becomes a featured, large part of the rotation

i'd say after Buddy is traded or not resigned.
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,293

Post#25 » by Spates » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:15 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spates wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
I definitely wouldn't be on the happy side of that trade. Don't think the team would either? Timing doesn't really fit? Siakam's 29-30, when the core of this club is 23-25, and probably really looking to compete a year, maybe 2 from now? So far one of our strengths has been our depth, not just depth, but depth with skill and production in their roles. I don't think the Pacers would be ready to trade that combination of players because of how and where it would shorten the rotation. If that makes any sense?.... =/

I think it could be an opportunistic low buy for Indiana. I feel your team needs to level up their wing playmaking. With a center spreading the floor I think conditions are better set for Siakam to thrive. Also, with Haliburton's playmaking I think Pascal can excel. I really question how rich his market will be. Could be a good nab. But I understand your hesitation.

I assume that Siakam may not be the happiest to play almost entirely offball? A big part of his game is his ball handling, and reportedly last year he, Fred, and Barnes butted heads a bit because they all wanted to be more of the primary ball handler. He definitely won’t be that in Indy with Haliburton and even Nembhard. Realistically, we need a big wing defender more than anything else on the roster. That’s usually why OG is more mentioned?

As for his price, I think it’s pretty clear that Siakam will net a max salary. He’s been All-NBA 2 of the last 3 seasons, and he’ll only be 30 when he hits free agency. He’ll likely get a max, and probably for 4 years.

Ideally Siakam's ballhandling responsibilities should decrease. As someone very familiar with his game I can tell you he isn't sophisticated as a ballhandler. He'll only ever make the reads that are in front of him, his mapping of the floor is less impressive on-ball. His handle isn't the tightest either. At best he's a two level scorer although his midrange isn't consistently reliable.

Anyhow, I'd like to make an alteration. How would you like OG, Otto Porter jr, and Malachi Flynn for Hield, Sheppard, and Nembhard?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,137

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:44 am

Spates wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spates wrote:I think it could be an opportunistic low buy for Indiana. I feel your team needs to level up their wing playmaking. With a center spreading the floor I think conditions are better set for Siakam to thrive. Also, with Haliburton's playmaking I think Pascal can excel. I really question how rich his market will be. Could be a good nab. But I understand your hesitation.

I assume that Siakam may not be the happiest to play almost entirely offball? A big part of his game is his ball handling, and reportedly last year he, Fred, and Barnes butted heads a bit because they all wanted to be more of the primary ball handler. He definitely won’t be that in Indy with Haliburton and even Nembhard. Realistically, we need a big wing defender more than anything else on the roster. That’s usually why OG is more mentioned?

As for his price, I think it’s pretty clear that Siakam will net a max salary. He’s been All-NBA 2 of the last 3 seasons, and he’ll only be 30 when he hits free agency. He’ll likely get a max, and probably for 4 years.

Ideally Siakam's ballhandling responsibilities should decrease. As someone very familiar with his game I can tell you he isn't sophisticated as a ballhandler. He'll only ever make the reads that are in front of him, his mapping of the floor is less impressive on-ball. His handle isn't the tightest either. At best he's a two level scorer although his midrange isn't consistently reliable.

Anyhow, I'd like to make an alteration. How would you like OG, Otto Porter jr, and Malachi Flynn for Hield, Sheppard, and Nembhard?

OG’s expiring contract, and the fact that so many teams have so much cap space make me very uncomfortable dealing Nembhard for OG. I could do something around the 2 1sts this year, but not Nembhard, nor future 1sts. Probably wouldn’t want to deal Sheppard this early, either, and especially if Hield is outgoing. Porter and Flynn are largely worthless.

I’d probably wait until free agency and see how Bruce Brown and the rest of the roster develop before trying to trade high value youth, while backing myself into the corner of having to max out OG so I didn’t just give up my youth to see OG walk.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 742

Post#27 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:46 am

I’m thinking Turner, Haliburton, Brown, and Toppin remain in the starting lineup and Nesmith replaces Mathurin.

Possibly Turner, Haliburton, Brown, Heild, and Nesmith making Mathurin the second team scoring leader.

I can see Turner, Haliburton, Brown, Nesmith, and Mathurin on nights that they don’t need a lot of height.

Currently Toppin is playing very cautiously to a fault. Very few turnovers, very few assists, not much defense, a few points on decent shooting, and rebounds. I really can’t see replacing him with Stix, Jackson, or Walker quite yet. My hope is he gets acclimated and more aggressive and confident.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 166

Post#28 » by JMaster5K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:56 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m thinking Turner, Haliburton, Brown, and Toppin remain in the starting lineup and Nesmith replaces Mathurin.

Possibly Turner, Haliburton, Brown, Heild, and Nesmith making Mathurin the second team scoring leader.

I can see Turner, Haliburton, Brown, Nesmith, and Mathurin on nights that they don’t need a lot of height.

Currently Toppin is playing very cautiously to a fault. Very few turnovers, very few assists, not much defense, a few points on decent shooting, and rebounds. I really can’t see replacing him with Stix, Jackson, or Walker quite yet. My hope is he gets acclimated and more aggressive and confident.

After watching them play, I'd like to see how Toppin plays in post defense? He's playing long enough & with a similar skill set to Myles on offense, that he could turn out to be the second unit 4/5? But, would need to know if can hold up in rim protection from the 5? That would seem to play more to the strengths he's shown so far, and play away from his weaknesses? (On this team that wants to play in transition & switch. It wouldn't seem to work on a team like the Knicks.)
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#29 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:10 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Spates wrote:How would you value a trade of Pascal Siakam for Hield, Ben Sheppard, Andrew Nembhard, and some draft compensation?

Pascal is a fine player but he is on an expiring contract right? He's making $38 million this year and will be 30, he's gonna want that big Max deal and I just don't see it from the Pacers, 98% chance he leaves and goes back to the Raptors if a trade like this happened, it is a waste of assets.

Thing with Siakam is, beyond just his status as an upcoming FA, I don't want to be the team paying him $50m at age 34
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#30 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:24 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Spates wrote:How would you value a trade of Pascal Siakam for Hield, Ben Sheppard, Andrew Nembhard, and some draft compensation?

Pascal is a fine player but he is on an expiring contract right? He's making $38 million this year and will be 30, he's gonna want that big Max deal and I just don't see it from the Pacers, 98% chance he leaves and goes back to the Raptors if a trade like this happened, it is a waste of assets.

Thing with Siakam is, beyond just his status as an upcoming FA, I don't want to be the team paying him $50m at age 34

The contracts are getting out of control. I agree with you on Pascal, he's good but not gonna make the Pacers a top 5 team. Unless some of the guys the Pacers have Math, Walker, Nembhard, Nesmith make a jump this team will continue to "treadmill" in the 8th-12th place range for the foreseeable future. Adding Siakam at this point he'll be 30 in April 24, then needing to sign him to a Max contract is not likely, I'm pretty sure he's on record that he wants to stay with and might go back to the Raptors.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:48 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:. Unless some of the guys the Pacers have Math, Walker, Nembhard, Nesmith make a jump this team will continue to "treadmill" in the 8th-12th place range for the foreseeable future.

Ever the pessimist.

But I agree it's not the time to trade for an older star. Think Alex English for George McGinnis.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#32 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:37 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:. Unless some of the guys the Pacers have Math, Walker, Nembhard, Nesmith make a jump this team will continue to "treadmill" in the 8th-12th place range for the foreseeable future.

Ever the pessimist.

But I agree it's not the time to trade for an older star. Think Alex English for George McGinnis.

I remember when that happened the host on WIBC's sports talk show cut me off and hung up on me for saying McGinnis was too old.

Yeah I'm not optimistic on this team. They look like a team what picks 7-10 and never gets better. You have to get lucky picking in that range, and as we all know, Indianapolis is not a free agent destination. The trade deadline is gonna be interesting this time as the Pacers have these expiring Vets like Hield, Theis and Brown (I say he's expiring due to his team option), and TJ with his small guarantee for 2024-25.

I'd be looking to move some of them for a longer contract and get a #1 2-3 years out.

Getting beat by the Hornets who are a mess was pathetic! :noway:
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#33 » by Ruaidri » Sun Nov 5, 2023 8:37 am

I would start Hield in stead of Mathurin. For my feeling we miss a shooter in the starting five.

I also curious what the plan is with Walker. Such a high pick and not making minutes. I believe he needs minutes to improve.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:59 pm

Goga had five blocks last night
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#35 » by Tom White » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:27 pm

Ruaidri wrote:I would start Hield in stead of Mathurin.

In addition to helping Hield's play, I think it would help Haliburton's play. Although both of them had good stats in this game. Can't say first-hand because I've only actually watched one game this season.

I also curious what the plan is with Walker. Such a high pick and not making minutes. I believe he needs minutes to improve.

The flip side is always, he needs to improve to get minutes.

I also think Carlisle's decision to announce (and somewhat follow through with) TJM's "demotion" was a bad idea.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#36 » by Tom White » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:29 pm

Wizop wrote:Goga had five blocks last night

The Revenge of Goga!
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,400

Post#37 » by boomershadow » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:44 pm

I think our best lineup is Hali/Hield/Brown/Nesmith/Turner. The Tyrese/Buddy combo is just so potent offensively and then probably the three best defenders.

Then I would make the bench TJ/Nembhard/Mathurin/Toppin/Smith.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#38 » by Topofthekey » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:44 pm

Ruaidri wrote:I would start Hield in stead of Mathurin. For my feeling we miss a shooter in the starting five.

It depends on what the goal is

If the goal is to win as many games as possible right now, then the best lineup do that is probably Turner Nesmith Brown Hield Haliburton

It's basically last year's team, but with Brown instead of Nembhard, and a much stronger bench (due to the addition of Toppin, a healthy Theis, and everyone being one year older/better)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#39 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:46 am

Topofthekey wrote:If the goal is to win as many games as possible right now, then the best lineup do that is probably Turner Nesmith Brown Hield Haliburton

Can't disagree but we've closed with that lineup unsuccessfully.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 742

Post#40 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:07 am

Wizop wrote:Goga had five blocks last night

Goga is starting due to their center being injured. He had a double double in 26 minutes with 10 points and 10 rebounds against the Lakers.

Return to Indiana Pacers