Looks Like Theis may be getting frustrated with the lack of PT?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Looks Like Theis may be getting frustrated with the lack of PT? 

Post#1 » by JMaster5K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:52 am

Quote from Theis that he's 'not happy' with the lack of PT. The quote doesn't sound as dramatic as the headline. I don't think anyone on a NBA roster would be happy about not yet playing a minute. So, not sure exactly what to read into this?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/pacers-daniel-theis-not-happy-with-lack-of-minutes.html
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Looks Like Theis may be getting frustrated with the lack of PT? 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Sat Nov 4, 2023 10:17 am

JMaster5K wrote:Quote from Theis that he's 'not happy' with the lack of PT. The quote doesn't sound as dramatic as the headline. I don't think anyone on a NBA roster would be happy about not yet playing a minute. So, not sure exactly what to read into this?

He is being treated even worse than Goga was. I really don't get why they do this to some players.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,065

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:03 am

It’s hard to argue with it when Jalen Smith has simply played better than Theis did in preseason and has been really good this season. It seems like they’re playing Jalen solely at the 5, so he and Myles are eating up all 48 minutes most nights.

As to the occasions when we’ve seen Jackson as the 3rd center? I’d chalk it up to simply letting Isaiah get some minutes as development here or there, which they need to do. I think if Myles or Jalen were to kiss extended time, maybe Theis would be thrown into that role and get heavy minutes? But it’s just really hard to see as Theis looks like a more slow it down, half court center, while the Pacers with Myles/Jalen are RUNNING.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:30 pm

I don't know what Theis expected. He was salary filler going to a team retooling. That team happens to be one playing really fast, which he's not suited for.

Him playing well on another team in another league with another style/rules means nothing. The staff got a look at him in preseason and didn't like the fit.

He's not even close to good enough to be making these statements 5 games in. I thought he'd at least be an ok vet but this isn't a good example to be setting for the young guys also sitting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#5 » by JMaster5K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:24 pm

Agree with generally all the observations. Theis, even more so than Duarte, needs to play at a different pace than the Pacers need to play. He is, imo, a good player, who does have value, but i don't see his market being huge? I can see him as part of the regular rotation in say Miami, or Golden State? Maybe even Toronto as a faster, more offense option than Poetl? If I scan most the rosters for most of the teams that are playing a slower pace (which to be fair, so far, is everyone in the league but the Wizards -LOL), they are either young with players to develop, or relatively settled at the 5.

Not sure why he would bring this up now?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:36 pm

Smith firmly establishing himself as a key backup big man for Pacers is probably one of the best developments so far this season

Pacers went with him over Toppin when they needed to grab the defensive rebound at the end of the Cavs game
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:54 pm

JMaster5K wrote:

He merely answered a question he was specifically asked by a Boston reporter.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#8 » by JMaster5K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:18 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

True,.. and like I said,. headline was way more over the top than his statements,.. and everyone wants to play. Still thought there might have been a better way to answer? but maybe not. =]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:30 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

True,.. and like I said,. headline was way more over the top than his statements,.. and everyone wants to play. Still thought there might have been a better way to answer? but maybe not. =]

Outside of lying or “no comment” (which in and of itself is a major statement), there’s not much else to say but answer honestly?

Return to Indiana Pacers