Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,141

Re: Pacers vs. 76ers 11/14 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:56 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Let the speculation begin about a trade :o

Agness expects a buyout followed by a Clipper signing. if true, we value a roster spot over anything the Clips could legally send us now. I wonder if we have a target, a two-way we want to elevate, or just want flexibility at the deadline. we sure could've used Oscar in Philly but that could've happened without changing his contract.

The Clippers don’t have a package they can legally send us right now, without sending us someone that’s worth way more than Theis. When more contracts are tradeable on December 15, that could change. But a buyout is probably more likely, for sure. Unless Theis gives a fair amount back now, I wouldn’t expect a buyout until the day after the deadline, though.

Edit:

I guess Agness is reporting it’s happening “very soon”. Seems weird, unless he’s become an issue in the locker room, or he’s willing to give extra money back.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#22 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I guess Agness is reporting it’s happening “very soon”. Seems weird, unless he’s become an issue in the locker room, or he’s willing to give extra money back.

just speculating, but he could give back the veteran minimum and then sign for that in LA.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:20 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I guess Agness is reporting it’s happening “very soon”. Seems weird, unless he’s become an issue in the locker room, or he’s willing to give extra money back.

just speculating, but he could give back the veteran minimum and then sign for that in LA.

That would be the least he’d do in a buyout, and what I’d expect the day after the trade deadline. He’s a good chunk of tradeable salary, so unless he’s giving up more than the vet minimum, it would behoove the team to hold onto him for trade aggregation purposes to the deadline, just in case.

Unless he’s become a locker room issue. Then you just dump the guy.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#24 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:He’s a good chunk of tradeable salary, so unless he’s giving up more than the vet minimum, it would behoove the team to hold onto him for trade aggregation purposes to the deadline, just in case.

having an open roster spot at the deadline is also an asset. we've been good at jumping into the middle of other teams trades to pull out a player. a roster spot and cap room would facilitate that. but there's also the possibility we want to do something with our two-ways. maybe Oscar or KBrown deserve elevation and King could get the two-way.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:He’s a good chunk of tradeable salary, so unless he’s giving up more than the vet minimum, it would behoove the team to hold onto him for trade aggregation purposes to the deadline, just in case.

having an open roster spot at the deadline is also an asset. we've been good at jumping into the middle of other teams trades to pull out a player. a roster spot and cap room would facilitate that.

Sure, but this doesn’t aid that. You could just waive Theis then, if you need the roster spot. Then, you would keep the flexibility of being able to aggregate his salary later. Now, without his agregatable salary, you’re much more likely to need to trade Buddy or TJ later just to make a deal work. Either way, you have a free roster spot. You just lose the ability of salary aggregating.
but there's also the possibility we want to do something with our two-ways. maybe Oscar or KBrown deserve elevation and King could get the two-way.

Meh. Much too early to consider that.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 167

Post#26 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Let the speculation begin about a trade :o

Agness expects a buyout followed by a Clipper signing. if true, we value a roster spot over anything the Clips could legally send us now. I wonder if we have a target, a two-way we want to elevate, or just want flexibility at the deadline. we sure could've used Oscar in Philly but that could've happened without changing his contract.

The Clippers don’t have a package they can legally send us right now, without sending us someone that’s worth way more than Theis. When more contracts are tradeable on December 15, that could change. But a buyout is probably more likely, for sure. Unless Theis gives a fair amount back now, I wouldn’t expect a buyout until the day after the deadline, though.

Edit:

I guess Agness is reporting it’s happening “very soon”. Seems weird, unless he’s become an issue in the locker room, or he’s willing to give extra money back.

If the Harden trade was actually (as reported) delayed because the Clips wouldn't move on Mann, and trading Zubac to get Theis would kinda be defeating the whole point of making the trade in the first place, then the only person I could see them actually trading would be PJ Tucker ($ 11,014,500).

Clips would be lowering their cap hit a little. We would still be under the cap. But, there no incentive for us to do that. Clips would have to include some form of draft capital & they just don't have any. The only things that aren't, in some way, encumbered or that might not take a creative approach are their 2030 1st & 2nd. Also, I don't think the Pacers would be willing to take on PJ's player option for 24-25, so that would have to be waived as part of a deal. I just can't see him doing that either? not at this point anyway?

You guys are probably right, that our team values that roster spot more than anything the Clips could put together, or would be willing to pay. Still not sure about a buy out? Theis does have value, but is it value we could actually turn into something?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#27 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:15 pm

Hoopsrumors is now reporting that the buyout is done. (Sorry on phone. No post). No details yet posted.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g

Thanks Scoot! =]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:37 pm

Sounds like Theis gave back the prorated vet minimum equivalent of what he’ll sign for in LA. Indy will now have about $9.2m in cap space.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#31 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:43 am

Nick Nurse complained about Pacers being physical with Maxey, and said he should have gotten 3 times more free throws
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#32 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:57 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:What happened to Jaylen Smith? They just said he was taken to the hospital.

Head injury. Looked like a concussion but sent to hospital for tests and precaution

That's all, what a relief I thought he saw that floor and had a stroke or something!
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#33 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:04 am

I just saw this so the CLipss want Theis and have nothing to offer for him so the Pacers just cut the guy and let them sign him!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I just saw this so the CLipss want Theis and have nothing to offer for him so the Pacers just cut the guy and let them sign him!

he agreed to a small reduction in what we owed him to equal what he'll get from the Clippers so we gain cap space and a roster spot and lose an unhappy camper and send a message to players generally that we listen to them.

Return to Indiana Pacers