Pacers vs. Magic 11/19

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Re: Pacers vs. Magic 11/19 

Post#21 » by JMaster5K » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:03 am

Magiclee wrote:Magic fan here. I figured this question could go here rather than a new thread. Goga's a complete stud for us and never seemed to catch on in Indy. What happened there? Did the light come on after the trade or were there just too many bodies in front of him or what? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to start any drama.

A little different opinion. Goga has always had decent 'per minute' numbers. I agree with the view that he just didn't fit stylistically with rest of the roster, built around either Sabonis or Turner in the post. In a 'classic', pure NBA 5 sense, Goga is more of a true 5 than either Turner or Sabonis. When the team traded Sabonis, and acquired Haliburton, the whole focus of the Pacers shifted. They became more up-tempo, to a degree that Goga simply didn't, really couldn't fit any more.

I think the icing on the cake, in between the team changes, and Goga's release, he was also implicated in the altercation between the Georgian team and the Turkish team in the 2022 Eurobasket tourney. The Pacers (from their own history) now have a very limited tolerance of that kind of behavior.

So, it was time for Goga to go. I believe for both the team and for Goga. He wasn't going to develop any further with the Pacers, and the Pacers couldn't see any further role or minutes for him. I don't think he would have seen more than a couple of garbage minutes with the current Pacers. There were a number of teams where he could fit (Orlando, Miami, at the time Charlotte, etc.) and get a chance to develop in an environment that fits his strengths.

Glad he landed in Orlando, and glad he is a 'stud' for your team. Seems like another 'win-win' for everybody. =]

Return to Indiana Pacers