Thoughts on Pistons' streak?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 277

Thoughts on Pistons' streak? 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 am

Should we feel for these guys or is it long standing karma for the brawl?
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 171

Re: Thoughts on Pistons' streak? 

Post#2 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Should we feel for these guys or is it long standing karma for the brawl?

LOLOL - Maybe a bit of both?..... =}

I do feel for the players. The Detroit FO has made some questionable decisions, and had a few years where there talent evaluation was questionable. As a result, the 'mix' on the roster seems very poor. Their FO/Coach don't seem to want to make the decisions necessary to start to fix it?

Yeah,.. there may be some Karma involved as well? Don't think it's just from the Brawl. Pistons for years were the poster-team for 'Bully ball' (now it's the Rockets). That usually does come back to haunt you at some point,.... =]

What do you think?..... o0
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 955

Post#3 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:47 pm

JMaster5K wrote:The Detroit FO has made some questionable decisions, and had a few years where there talent evaluation was questionable.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 171

Post#4 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:23 pm

Tom White wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:The Detroit FO has made some questionable decisions, and had a few years where there talent evaluation was questionable.

LOLOLOL - now that you mention it?.... I do think I've seen that some other place as well?..... Now,.. where was that?... o0 8}
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 746

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:27 pm

Seems like the Pistons front office has been very active trying to wheel and deal bringing in young talent and the players chosen haven’t mixed well together or they’re just still too young.

Honestly for the draft capital and trades the roster looks like a last place team talent wise. Coaching change during rebuild might have hurt. Injuries have seemed to hit them hard. I don’t understand some of their player decisions.

I didn’t like them trading Jeremy Grant.
I liked the selection of Jalen Duren.
Maybe Ausar Thompson works out.
Marcus Sasser might be a keeper.

Too much talent at PG position vs other positions.
Killian Hayes -PG
Cade Cunningham-PG
Monte Morris -PG
Jaden Ivey -PG

I didn’t understand drafting Jaden Ivey when they knew Cade Cunningham was their PG and they also still hadn’t given up on Killian Hayes.

If Cunningham is being slotted into the future shooting guard and Ivey is the future point guard that would make sense. I don’t know if that’s possible to convert Cunningham to SG. Coach needs to play Ivey as he’s not been getting the starting nod enough.

Roster has some old pieces.
Bojan Bogdanovic - I still like Bogie.
Alec Burks
Joe Harris - injured ??

A lot of young unproven talent. I’m not an expert on if anyone in this list is a future breakout candidate.

Marvin Bagley III
James Wiseman
Kevin Knox
Jared Rhoden
Malcolm Cazalon
Stanley Umude
Isiah Livers

Not sure if Isiah Stewart is the answer but it just hasn’t seemed like he’s been their center of the future.

Future lineup and/or foundation
Ivey- solid future
Cunningham -Stud
Thompson
PF - draft or trade for veteran
Duren

Pistons feel A LOT farther away from the play in than the Pacers did last season.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:52 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Should we feel for these guys or is it long standing karma for the brawl?

No don't care just glad it's not the Pacers, the Pistons are a very poorly constructed team. While Cade and Ivey may become good players in the long run, drafting at the same position year after year is not a good idea.

Look at the blown draft picks on that team, from Killian to the 3 that they have acquired from the 2020 draft, Wiseman, Bagley, and Knox from 2018. I bet they could sign TJ Leaf if they wanted.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:53 pm

Tom White wrote:

Yeah that 2023 pacers off season. The improvement in the Pacers have almost completely been Haliburton and Turner.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 417

Post#8 » by Grang33r » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:54 am

It's bittersweet for me. I HATE them and enjoy them struggling, but they are surely gonna get lucky at the lottery and add another top pick to their arsenal. Only a matter of time before Ausar, Cunningham, Duran, Ivey and whoever else they add next summer figure it out and they become the next OKC, who after years of struggling, look as real as it gets. And it seems like it happened over night for them.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,171

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:59 pm

Grang33r wrote:

It's bittersweet for me. I HATE them and enjoy them struggling, but they are surely gonna get lucky at the lottery and add another top pick to their arsenal. Only a matter of time before Ausar, Cunningham, Duran, Ivey and whoever else they add next summer figure it out and they become the next OKC, who after years of struggling, look as real as it gets. And it seems like it happened over night for them.

They should, right? But terrible ownership has a way of making a team terrible, no matter what.

Return to Indiana Pacers