Official: Pacers Acquire Pascal Siakam

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Re: Woj/Shams: Pacers to get Siakam in trade 

Post#201 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:47 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Do you doubt me? Do you remember what happened with the Dutch soldiers back in August of 22? I've been down there on Georgia St and Meridian waiting on one of my clients to come out of Pier 48 and some guy got shot 100 yards behind me in the alley. About the same time I was in the same area and some guy was shot right in front of the Indy Star on Meridian. I went thru Broad Ripple one night and heard about 200 gunshots and another time 3 people were shot while I was driving a top client of mine to a restaurant in Broad Ripple. I'm not even talking about the northeast side, 42nd and Post.

Yeah,.. you said it all 42 & Post,... the 42 street Playahs,... that area has been 'not a good place to stop and change a tire',.. for a looooooonnnnnnng time.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#202 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:00 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:The last time we were in the ECF,... we were a tax paying team.

as I remember it, we went into tax land to give Reggie his final contract. it was the price we paid to have him finish his career as a Pacer.

Yup,.. had to go back and look,.. got that completely wrong. I think it was 2013-14, last time we went to the ECF,.. and we weren't a taxpayer,.... <----- that's what I get from working from my memory. At least I won't remember this tomorrow,... =}
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#203 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:01 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Do you doubt me? Do you remember what happened with the Dutch soldiers back in August of 22? I've been down there on Georgia St and Meridian waiting on one of my clients to come out of Pier 48 and some guy got shot 100 yards behind me in the alley. About the same time I was in the same area and some guy was shot right in front of the Indy Star on Meridian. I went thru Broad Ripple one night and heard about 200 gunshots and another time 3 people were shot while I was driving a top client of mine to a restaurant in Broad Ripple. I'm not even talking about the northeast side, 42nd and Post.

Yeah,.. you said it all 42 & Post,... the 42 street Playahs,... that area has been 'not a good place to stop and change a tire',.. for a looooooonnnnnnng time.

Man I went right down 42nd street one night at about midnight taking this clients girl friend home some neighborhood out there past post rd. So I passed right in front of this Marathon Station at 42nd and Franklyn, took the chick out to her house dropped her off and was done for the night. I don't know why he didn't just have her stay with him, I think they had a disagreement. So I turn around and head back down 42nd and pass the same Marathon station about 1230am. About an hour later 5 people were shot in the parking lot. This is what got me thinking about taking the Caddy to one of those places that armors up cars with that 4 inch laminated glass and 2 inches of Kevlar in the doors.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#204 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:04 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

as I remember it, we went into tax land to give Reggie his final contract. it was the price we paid to have him finish his career as a Pacer.

Yup,.. had to go back and look,.. got that completely wrong. I think it was 2013-14, last time we went to the ECF,.. and we weren't a taxpayer,.... <----- that's what I get from working from my memory. At least I won't remember this tomorrow,... =}

2002, 2003, and 2005 were the last years we paid the tax, for a total of $8.8m paid.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cba/tax/
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#205 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

The Pacers never paid a lot of tax and I don't think they ever had the repeater tax. The problem with being in the tax is you don't get your rebate in the first round of distribution if you're in the tax. A small market team who is not going to the finals has no business paying tax.

I get the idea that they wanted to keep Reggie in Indiana, I'm pretty sure that was the only time it happened.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#206 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:08 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Man I went right down 42nd street one night at about midnight taking this clients girl friend home some neighborhood out there past post rd. So I passed right in front of this Marathon Station at 42nd and Franklyn, took the chick out to her house dropped her off and was done for the night. I don't know why he didn't just have her stay with him, I think they had a disagreement. So I turn around and head back down 42nd and pass the same Marathon station about 1230am. About an hour later 5 people were shot in the parking lot. This is what got me thinking about taking the Caddy to one of those places that armors up cars with that 4 inch laminated glass and 2 inches of Kevlar in the doors.

Yeah,.. I grew up not all that far from there,.. far enough to be completely different,.. but close enough to be familiar with the area. Still have a couple of friends that grew up in that community. 40 years ago even,.. that place was no joke. No stories needed,. if you were in the wrong place, at the wrong time,... eventually they would find the body. Back then, it wasn't as spread out, all around Indy,.. but that was one place you just didn't mess around.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#207 » by Adrian Street » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:32 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:But if we think that Nesmith/Sheppard can continue to take Buddy's role, then we're pretty affordable that we can surround the team safely.

after last night's Kings game, I have Walker and Nesmith at SF and Nembhard, Mathurin, and Sheppard at SG post Buddy.

Walker has a lot more potential as a 3 than a 4, I don't know why people keep pushing the idea that he will be a 4. I think the lineup will soon be Turner, Siakam, Walker, Mathurin and Haliburton
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#208 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Yeah,.. I grew up not all that far from there,

in the late 80's and early 90's we had offices not al that far from there. first we were on 30th just a little East of Franklin and then we were in a complex off the South Side of Pendleton Pike just West of the interstate. we went to the bank at 38th and Post almost every day.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,315

Post#209 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:12 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Hoop Hunter wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Hey I've lived in and around Indianapolis all my life and I freaking hate it here I'm looking to move and get out of this crime riddled il-managed hellscape. Pascal is gonna love it when he goes out on Meridian street for a night out and some of our finest gang bangers start popping off shots all around. Seriously it's like the Wild West, you have to wear a bullet proof vest and Kpot to walk down the street. I'm seriously thinking about getting my Caddy Escalade armored up.

And I'm not kidding around about any of that. I haven't been to a game in 6-7 years because things just keep getting more and more out of hand.

:crazy:

I apologise. I looked up some things. I didn't realize Indianapolis has the 12th highest crime rate in the nation.

I've lived on the southside suburbs most of my life. It's pretty peaceful, quiet, safe.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Re: Official: Pacers Acquire Pascal Siakam 

Post#210 » by wolfv » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:23 pm

Pascal will be missed. Good luck to him, I hope he thrives with the Pacers and helps you guys go far this postseason, and in the future.

Sent from my NE2213 using RealGM mobile app
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#211 » by Grang33r » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:43 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Not a flaw way to look at it at all. I'm not a professional basketball scout but I had Green as a #1 pick. He was a great player a few years ago but now he's a jerk who I would have traded 2-3 yrs ago and not resigned to his new contract. I had Brunson rated much higher than Holiday who I had as a 2nd round talent. Same for TJ Leaf who I said at the time was a late 2nd at best, I wanted Collins or OG, I saw no need for Goga and have no doubt I would have picked a better player. I'll admit that I never heard of Gobert before draft day, but then again I'm not a professional Scout.

For a guy who does this stuff for Sh*t's and giggle's I've been right more than I've been wrong. I practically predicted the PG trade to OKC if there was a search function I could find the post I made back then when I suggested Victor and Sabonis plus a #1 for PG. I called the Turner R/E perfectly right before it happened when 9 out of 10 posters were saying trade him to LA with Buddy for Westy and a distant pick. And I'm just a retired KIck boxer who might have been punched in the head one time too many. That and my IU degree in Economics, and 2 yrs of law school but who's counting.

I don't doubt your knowledge at all. And i'm sure you've hit on some players and missed on others. Just like other people who have a slight interest in the draft process. But it's much easier to write it in a forum setting with nothing to lose then it is with the cameras on you and every pick going under a microscope.

The way you should look at it is based on probability. Once you get out of picks like 16, the historical data shows players have like a 5% chance of being a star, 15% chance of being decent. The Pacers DID do a poor job drafting, im not here to tell you they did a great job, but the odds were not in their favor and they didnt beat the odds on any of the picks. If thats player or lack of player development or a combination of both.

You can be mad all you want and slam your fist on your desk, but its not the right way of looking at it. Like i said, if it was as easy as you said, drafts would have much higher success rate with late selections like Draymond or Brunson going much earlier.

Link- https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Morghulus
Ballboy
And1: 44

Post#212 » by Morghulus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 am

*sniff* I loved Pascal! I hope he helps you win a chip this year and that he finds welcoming fan base, a new home, and a bright future!

You guys got a great player.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#213 » by jarryd3107 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

2002, 2003, and 2005 were the last years we paid the tax, for a total of $8.8m paid.

Do you think this changes with the recent partial sale of the team? I don’t but would love to be wrong
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#214 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:30 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Do you think this changes with the recent partial sale of the team? I don’t but would love to be wrong

I don't think the Simon's were ever against paying the tax. I do think they have always been about not spending 'bad' money. I think they like the books clean and simple. They have never been about just throwing money at something & believing it will work out.

I'm not sure the new investors do any more than give us a wider financial base,... make us more resilient to changes in certain markets. Which of course could mean we are more likely to pay the tax than we used to be, because we are mitigating the risk that changes in certain markets could limit the risk associated with a willingness to spend.

I do believe,.. that if our current group of players all become all stars or near all stars, and that tracks with wins.. that the Pacers would be willing to pay to keep them, at a fair market, even if that meant going into the tax.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#215 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:01 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Really good question, and I just don’t know that anyone can make an educated guess? He new partial owner is insanely private and quiet and we know almost nothing about his management philosophy, and even less about his team owner philosophy. Another set of rich pockets to split the cost wouldn’t seem to hurt the chances, though…..right? :dontknow:

JMaster5K wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don't think the Simon's were ever against paying the tax. I do think they have always been about not spending 'bad' money. I think they like the books clean and simple. They have never been about just throwing money at something & believing it will work out.

I'm not sure the new investors do any more than give us a wider financial base,... make us more resilient to changes in certain markets. Which of course could mean we are more likely to pay the tax than we used to be, because we are mitigating the risk that changes in certain markets could limit the risk associated with a willingness to spend.

I do believe,.. that if our current group of players all become all stars or near all stars, and that tracks with wins.. that the Pacers would be willing to pay to keep them, at a fair market, even if that meant going into the tax.

If I recall, the Simons weren’t as against the tax on its basis, as much as they were against paying the tax entirely out of their own pockets? I think they paid the tax back when the ticket sales and merchandise and whatnot covered the costs? In general, u think the Simons have owned in a way where they don’t wish to take yearly profit from the franchise, as much as they don’t want to put in a yearly capital loss pay,ent back into the franchise, if you know what I mean? Maybe the new Centennial Plaza and the restaraunts associated and whatnot will help provide those extra income sources to cover extra costs?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#216 » by Tom White » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
If I recall, the Simons weren’t as against the tax on its basis, as much as they were against paying the tax entirely out of their own pockets?

HA! They have always been good about spending other people's money, or at least conserving their own money. I think back to the deals for funding the fieldhouse or even Circle Center Mall. What was their deal for Circle Center? Their lease for that property was something like $1 per year for life?

I have to think their shopping center business is driving them nuts now. The College Mall in Bloomington is like a ghost town. The "anchor stores" are long gone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:47 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
If I recall, the Simons weren’t as against the tax on its basis, as much as they were against paying the tax entirely out of their own pockets?

HA! They have always been good about spending other people's money, or at least conserving their own money. I think back to the deals for funding the fieldhouse or even Circle Center Mall. What was their deal for Circle Center? Their lease for that property was something like $1 per year for life?

I have to think their shopping center business is driving them nuts now. The College Mall in Bloomington is like a ghost town. The "anchor stores" are long gone.

Herb essentially divested from the malls almost a decade ago when he retired from the day to day operations and left his son in charge. He bought back in a bit in the 2020 Covid bottom, and then made a ton as it returned to largely normal. But he’s got essentially none of his net worth in the malls anymore.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,857

Post#218 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:07 pm

Raptors fan here. Big congrats on landing Pascal, I'm stoked that and org like Indy got him over one of the bigger markets. We gotta stick together with the other small markets (we're not small, but U.S TV wise we are), and control the movement of our stars. Otherwise, with teams giving in to player demands to go to the big markets, we're never going to make it.

Anyways, watched the game last night, and love the pace of your guys. One thing I would offer, is that Pascal excels at being an initiator on offence. Seemed like your players were a bit hesitant to give him the ball in transition. Trust me, this guy is dominant when he has the ball in space, and creates a crazy amount of gravity, while making great decisions. I think with all the shooter you have, just let the double teams come to Pascal and he will drop close to double digits in dimes. This will also allow Hali to play off the ball, and have teams lesser defenders on him - which will be BBQ chicken.

And if your in the half court, getting the ball in the post to PS will obviously create double teams on kickouts, until y'all start hitting shots - then Pascal will have BBQ chicken in the post.

Anyways, just some thoughts - enjoy spicy P!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Raptors fan here. Big congrats on landing Pascal, I'm stoked that and org like Indy got him over one of the bigger markets. We gotta stick together with the other small markets (we're not small, but U.S TV wise we are), and control the movement of our stars. Otherwise, with teams giving in to player demands to go to the big markets, we're never going to make it.

Anyways, watched the game last night, and love the pace of your guys. One thing I would offer, is that Pascal excels at being an initiator on offence. Seemed like your players were a bit hesitant to give him the ball in transition. Trust me, this guy is dominant when he has the ball in space, and creates a crazy amount of gravity, while making great decisions. I think with all the shooter you have, just let the double teams come to Pascal and he will drop close to double digits in dimes. This will also allow Hali to play off the ball, and have teams lesser defenders on him - which will be BBQ chicken.

And if your in the half court, getting the ball in the post to PS will obviously create double teams on kickouts, until y'all start hitting shots - then Pascal will have BBQ chicken in the post.

To be fair, Tyrese Haliburton is the best distributor in the league. Sure, he’s also a really good shooter, but Siakam will have to complement Haliburton in that regard, not the reverse. I think Siakam will get possessions of that when Haliburton needs a quick breather on the court, and may get that right completely when Haliburton is off the court. But in the meantime, the ball will be in Haliburton hands as much as possible, and Siakam will feast for it, as Tyrese has an innate ability to pass guys open and get them easy shots.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#220 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Raptors fan here. Big congrats on landing Pascal, I'm stoked that and org like Indy got him over one of the bigger markets. We gotta stick together with the other small markets (we're not small, but U.S TV wise we are), and control the movement of our stars. Otherwise, with teams giving in to player demands to go to the big markets, we're never going to make it.

To be fair, Tyrese Haliburton is the best distributor in the league. Sure, he’s also a really good shooter, but Siakam will have to complement Haliburton in that regard, not the reverse. I think Siakam will get possessions of that when Haliburton needs a quick breather on the court, and may get that right completely when Haliburton is off the court. But in the meantime, the ball will be in Haliburton hands as much as possible, and Siakam will feast for it, as Tyrese has an innate ability to pass guys open and get them easy shots.

If the first half of the Denver game is anything to go by,... All of this teams primary players will have to have + skills as passers & facilitators. They were playing so unselfish without either Hali or Pascal,.. the ball was moving so fast. from read to read,.. that some of our baskets came from behind the primary defender, because he was still looking at where the ball was,.. not where it is.

It will take a little time for the team to feel Pascal, and for him to feel the team,... even more so because Coach is letting guys define the offense by making their reads,. with few 'set' plays. But when it starts to come together,... this is going to be even more fun !!

Return to Indiana Pacers