Official: Pacers Acquire Pascal Siakam

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,206

Re: Official: Pacers Acquire Pascal Siakam 

Post#141 » by Mark_83 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:With ideal spacing Pascal is unstoppable in the post. He'll either get all the way to the basket or pass it to a cutter for an open shot. You'll also see his 3 point shooting percentage sky rocket once he's primarily shooting off the catch and not off the dribble as the primary creator. He can also guard 1-4 on switches which should help your defense.

As a Raptors fan - that is not gonna happen.

He was pretty much only taking catch and shoot 3's in Toronto this season and shot 34.9% on catch and shoot 3's this season which is similar to his entire career.

That bein said - he is unstoppable in single coverage in the post especially on mismatches. He is going to feast with all your space.

He had a historically bad start shooting from October through November (20.7%) as a he was adjusting to his new role. From December on he's been shooting 44% from 3pt range. Is he that good a shooter in reality? No, of course not. But in a primarily catch in shoot role, I'd say he's closer to the 36% shooter he was when Kawhi was here (38% on C&S) than he is to the 31% shooter he has been this year.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#142 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:29 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:With ideal spacing Pascal is unstoppable in the post. He'll either get all the way to the basket or pass it to a cutter for an open shot. You'll also see his 3 point shooting percentage sky rocket once he's primarily shooting off the catch and not off the dribble as the primary creator. He can also guard 1-4 on switches which should help your defense.

As a Raptors fan - that is not gonna happen.

He was pretty much only taking catch and shoot 3's in Toronto this season and shot 34.9% on catch and shoot 3's this season which is similar to his entire career.

That bein said - he is unstoppable in single coverage in the post especially on mismatches. He is going to feast with all your space.

He had a historically bad start shooting from October through November (20.7%) as a he was adjusting to his new role. From December on he's been shooting 44% from 3pt range. Is he that good a shooter in reality? No, of course not. But in a primarily catch in shoot role, I'd say he's closer to the 36% shooter he was when Kawhi was here (38% on C&S) than he is to the 31% shooter he has been this year.

Maybe with the better IND spacing he can be the 36-37% shooter he was when we had a ton of spacing in TOR as well. I would lean closer to 33-34% as that has been his catch + shoot %'s for years.

Obviously would increase if he sticks to corner 3's.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#143 » by Solid » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Maybe our depth might help us keep costs down a little.
All our guys will likely play fewer minutes than starters on any other good teams.
Our guys can pick their shots. Improve efficiency, but score less.
We share the ball very well. Six or eight guys in double figures should be very common.
We might win a lot, but not have anybody on the leader boards ...except Halliburton's assists are going to keep breaking records.
Come contract time competitors could think: "he's in a perfect spot with a great point guard, but his numbers are just not as outstanding as we'd like to see in order for us to risk a huge offer".
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#144 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:03 pm

JJ Redick's reaction

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#145 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#146 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g

This is the real story of unintended consequences from the trade for Siakam. When the front office looked at the numbers they needed to prepare to pay him going forward, they decided the budget needed trimmed somewhere. The most obvious place to get at least part of that money was from the uniform design budget. Thus, this is what they were forced to settle for. Such a sad day. HA!

Hmmmm,.. his number is 43?.... kind of apropriate?.. with only a small boost in the cap for 24-25,. that could also be his starting salary?.... 8}
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Woj/Shams: Pacers to get Siakam in trade 

Post#147 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Heartily disagree. Toppin and Smith are unrelated to a Siakam acquisition, and if they were, I take Siakam 11 times out of 10 over those two.

How do you mean unrelated?

Like you said, we're going to lose Toppin because we have Siakam now

Turner, Nembhard, and Mathurin depend entirely on how we manage our books going forward outside of Haliburton and Siakam. Bad MLE signings would be more of an issue toward keeping those two than a Siakam acquisition.

Yup

That's one of the unfortunate pitfalls of this trade

Before this, the team had leeway in terms of who they sign in free agency this year or the next

With Siakam's new contract in place though, the team will have zero margin for error. As you said, one bad MLE signing could be ruinous

But the problem is even if they were careful with MLE signings, with Haliburton and Siakam's max contract, there's a high possibility that the team cannot retain both Turner and Mathurin (and Nembhard)

Try and forecast what Pacers' payroll in say 2025 or 2026 is going to be like, you'll see

It's just impossible to pay Turner and Mathurin and Nembhard when they have Haliburton and Siakam on the payroll
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#148 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 pm

You guys could win the East this year.
Go Raps!!
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#149 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:51 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

I'm gonna miss that 2026 pick,.. supposed to be a good draft,... =}

That's the one that bothers me the most and the basis for my objection to this deal, and that I don't think Pascal will resign, oh he may be all smiley and happy acting now, but when time comes in the off season he's gonna look at that 4yr $200 million with a player option in y4 thinking, "Yeah big market, east coast better than small market cow town."
Wizop
RealGM

Post#150 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:58 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:"Yeah big market, east coast better than small market cow town."

it's been reported that another Siakam played for IUPUI so he knows Indy. also, wives and girl friends tend to like being away from the club scene.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#151 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:59 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Heartily disagree. Toppin and Smith are unrelated to a Siakam acquisition, and if they were, I take Siakam 11 times out of 10 over those two.

Turner, Nembhard, and Mathurin depend entirely on how we manage our books going forward outside of Haliburton and Siakam. Bad MLE signings would be more of an issue toward keeping those two than a Siakam acquisition.

Yup

Before this, the team had leeway in terms of who they sign in free agency this year or the next

With Siakam's new contract in place though, the team will have zero margin for error. As you said, one bad MLE signing could be ruinous

But the problem is even if they were careful with MLE signings, with Haliburton and Siakam's max contract, there's a high possibility that the team cannot retain both Turner and Mathurin (and Nembhard)

Try and forecast what Pacers' payroll in say 2025 or 2026 is going to be like, you'll see

It's just impossible to pay Turner and Mathurin and Nembhard when they have Haliburton and Siakam on the payroll

But Siakam's contract is not in place! Come July 1st we may very well wake up to see he's signed by Philly, because he thinks Embiid and Maxey and the big market is better than Haliburton and Turner and this small market.

Right now the Pacers should be top 3 in the East, but if they don't resign this player they are right back to the play in's in 2024-25 and Turner takes a hike after that year where are you then? There is no question Jalen Smith will be either traded or leave by free agency after this year and this trade.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#152 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:15 pm

Indiana was my preferred destination for Siakam purely from a basketball standpoint. Indiana was missing that big wing type player and Siakam provides secondary playmaking, interior scoring and some decent defense (when motivated). He's going thrive with all that space and playing in a high octane offense.

I wish we had gotten atleast one young player, we're basically relying on gambles in the 20s. Maybe we can get another first from Brown but it also won't be very high.

This is a lesson for holding onto players way too long.
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#153 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:22 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:

Yup

But Siakam's contract is not in place! Come July 1st we may very well wake up to see he's signed by Philly, because he thinks Embiid and Maxey and the big market is better than Haliburton and Turner and this small market.

Right now the Pacers should be top 3 in the East, but if they don't resign this player they are right back to the play in's in 2024-25 and Turner takes a hike after that year where are you then? There is no question Jalen Smith will be either traded or leave by free agency after this year and this trade.

He's going to have to really hate Indiana to turn down more money to go somewhere else. Even without the 5th year, the difference between the bird and the non-bird 4 year max is about 7.5M. Is he really going to forgo 7M to go to a slightly better basketball situation (and i don't even know if Philly is a better basketball situation)?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#154 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:39 pm

jowglenn wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Team just tossed 3 #1 picks in the trash! This player will never be resigned and the Pacers will not win the NBA title. This is a sad desperation move by a team front office that is in over it's head.

May as well write off the next 5 seasons.

If it means you'll finally leave this forum so we don't have to listen to your constant over the top whining and pessimism, then the deal is already worth it

Honestly we've put up with it for too long, if you hate the Pacers this much just stop commenting on them

Want to talk about "Pessimism" or realistic analysis of the home team? I guess I could be a pathetic embarrassing homer in the trade forum posting unrealistic trades where the pacers get the lions share of the meat in every deal like someone I know!

But if it is "pessimism" that I seem to display it's pretty hard to not show that when you see your home team constantly screwing the pooch in the draft and in trades. For every good draft pick and every beneficial trade there is one that makes me want to puke. I live in the little place on the west side called "Realville."

I've been a fan of this team since I was 6 yrs old in 1968 watching games at the Fairgrounds when they were an ABA power, I was at some of the first games played in Market Square Arena, the hang'm High series against the Spurs when they hung spurs players in effigy from the rafters. I was at the draft party and MSA when they took Reggie Miller and listened to the buffoon homers boo because they wanted Steve Alford, one the team got right, and later in 1993 I was there at MSA when they took Scott Haskin, a player who never really played in the NBA.

granger05 wrote:
You've never liked a single draft pick that the team makes so why do you care about trading picks?

Draft picks? For every Danny Granger there's 2 Solomon Hill's, or Miles Plumlee's. Instead of taking Jalen Brunson which was a no brainer they take Aaron Holiday, then there was the Goga pick, and the cream of the crop TJ Leaf when they could have had OG, Allen or John Collins, all better players than Leaf who is currently bagging groceries at Publix in Phoenix!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pacers_draft_history

Go down the list and look at the teams picks over the years, if they had taken George Hill or Jrue Holiday in 2008 instead of Tyler Hansbrough they wouldn't have needed to trade off the rights to one Kahwi Leonard in 2011. One bad decision leads to another with this team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#155 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:39 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

We were already likely to not see Toppin return because he was a free agent and he’s been tipped by Jalen Smith and Indy has made it clear he’s not a starter for them. I don’t think we were going to offer him a qualifying offer before the Siakam trade as they would fear he’d sign it immediately.

Yup

Oh, that’s not what I meant, and we’d still have leeway. You never want to sign bad MLE signings. There’s plenty of assets to love those, if they’re bad, still. Either way, you’d pay to dump MLE signings to acquire a Pascal Siakam. We’re so afraid that we’d pass up massive on court improvements for the next 4+ years?

I’ve projected it an it’s absolutely possible. Why do you think it’s impossible? I guess it could be tough if Mathurin, Nembhard, Walker, and Turner are all worthy of max deals, but I think that’s a problem we’d be ecstatic to have.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#156 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Indiana was my preferred destination for Siakam purely from a basketball standpoint. Indiana was missing that big wing type player and Siakam provides secondary playmaking, interior scoring and some decent defense (when motivated). He's going thrive with all that space and playing in a high octane offense.

I wish we had gotten atleast one young player, we're basically relying on gambles in the 20s. Maybe we can get another first from Brown but it also won't be very high.

Look at some of the players taken in the late part of the 1st round. Jimmy Butler, Desmond Bane, Rudy Gobert just to name a few. 2nd round picks can hit big too if you do your research, Middleton, Crowder, and Draymond Green and the ultimate 2nd round steal Jokic.
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#157 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:08 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:Indiana was my preferred destination for Siakam purely from a basketball standpoint. Indiana was missing that big wing type player and Siakam provides secondary playmaking, interior scoring and some decent defense (when motivated). He's going thrive with all that space and playing in a high octane offense.

Look at some of the players taken in the late part of the 1st round. Jimmy Butler, Desmond Bane, Rudy Gobert just to name a few. 2nd round picks can hit big too if you do your research, Middleton, Crowder, and Draymond Green and the ultimate 2nd round steal Jokic.

these guys are outliers, you're way more likely to get Blake Wesley, Josh Christopher, RJ Hampton (just to name a few). Should we trade our best players for the 41st pick because that's where Jokic was selected?
In general, picks in the 20s are lucky to become rotations players, let alone allstars.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#158 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:21 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Draft picks? For every Danny Granger there's 2 Solomon Hill's, or Miles Plumlee's. Instead of taking Jalen Brunson which was a no brainer they take Aaron Holiday, then there was the Goga pick, and the cream of the crop TJ Leaf when they could have had OG, Allen or John Collins, all better players than Leaf who is currently bagging groceries at Publix in Phoenix!

Go down the list and look at the teams picks over the years, if they had taken George Hill or Jrue Holiday in 2008 instead of Tyler Hansbrough they wouldn't have needed to trade off the rights to one Kahwi Leonard in 2011. One bad decision leads to another with this team.

some (caitlin) have argued that our poor draft history and our excellent recent trade history (dipo, Sabonis, Hali) suggests that trading away picks we were likely to screw up was smart.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#159 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

these guys are outliers, you're way more likely to get Blake Wesley, Josh Christopher, RJ Hampton (just to name a few). Should we trade our best players for the 41st pick because that's where Jokic was selected?
In general, picks in the 20s are lucky to become rotations players, let alone allstars.

You should not trade your best players for a 41st pick, that's a strawman argument. But if you have late picks and 2nds and you have good scouts and you do your homework you can get good players, Jalen Brunson was a 2nd. Also if you hold your best players until they become expiring the next year you're not getting that big haul of assets the way the Jazz did when they traded Gobert and Mitchell.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#160 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Draft picks? For every Danny Granger there's 2 Solomon Hill's, or Miles Plumlee's. Instead of taking Jalen Brunson which was a no brainer they take Aaron Holiday, then there was the Goga pick, and the cream of the crop TJ Leaf when they could have had OG, Allen or John Collins, all better players than Leaf who is currently bagging groceries at Publix in Phoenix!

some (caitlin) have argued that our poor draft history and our excellent recent trade history (dipo, Sabonis, Hali) suggests that trading away picks we were likely to screw up was smart.

Could be better to move the picks considering the draft history, also might want to invest in some new shot callers in the FO. Clearly Larry Bird shouldn't be having a voice in it, he's the guy who wanted Shawne Williams, Plumlee, Hansbrough, and Solo Hill. Great players do not necessarily make great GM's or coaches.

Considering this trade it now looks like they would have been better off taking Coulibaly at 7th over the swap with the Wiz for Walker and 2 2nds. Unless Walker is able to move to the SF and Nesmith goes to SG, Walker may well languish behind Siakam IF he resigns.

Return to Indiana Pacers