Post-trade rotation

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 406

Post-trade rotation 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:08 pm

Figured i make a separate topic away from trade chatter in the Siakam thread. Once he arrives and we are healthy, what is our lineup going to look like?

Haliburton / McConnell
Hield / Nembhard / Sheppard
Nesmith / Mathurin
Siakam / Toppin / Walker
Turner / Smith / Jackson

Thats how i see it.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,076

Re: Post-trade rotation 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 pm

I'd start Nembhard.

you only list 13. I assume we'll resign JJ. did we pick up a 15th from Toronto?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,069

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 pm

Wizop wrote:I'd start Nembhard.

you only list 13. I assume we'll resign JJ. did we pick up a 15th from Toronto?

No. Haven’t heard anything about possibly getting a Garrett Temple. He’d mostly be an emergency guard/great locker room vet, though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#4 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:33 pm

I wonder if another trade is in the works for a SF.
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#5 » by MNPacersfan » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:57 pm

I wonder if Siakam still has the ability to play a bit of 3 in an athletic, big lineup with him, Toppin or Smith and Jackson? I'll be honest, I haven't watched much Raptors basketball in a couple of years.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:04 pm

MNPacersfan wrote:I wonder if Siakam still has the ability to play a bit of 3 in an athletic, big lineup with him, Toppin or Smith and Jackson? I'll be honest, I haven't watched much Raptors basketball in a couple of years.

I can see him playing the 3 against Orlando. however, against most teams though Nesmith is fine at the 3. we do have to wonder if Walker can get minutes at the 3 with Siakim and Toppin (and Stix) getting all the minutes at the 4. I also wonder if another trade is coming.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#7 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:36 am

Stacked!
Go Raps!!
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:37 am

I’m guessing once team is healthy it will be

Haliburton, Nembhard, Nesmith, Siakam, Turner

Second unit

McConnell, Mathurin, Hield, Toppin, Smith

Isiah Jackson odd man out currently takes the biggest hit in minutes although he was only playing limited minutes.

Now there are no players deserving playing time blocked like Nwora was.

Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe still on the (garbage time) or development minutes and G league experience assignments where they belong until next season.

Johnson and open roster spot require no minutes.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 406

Post#9 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:50 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m guessing once team is healthy it will be

Second unit

Isiah Jackson odd man out currently takes the biggest hit in minutes although he was only playing limited minutes.

Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe still on the (garbage time) or development minutes and G league experience assignments where they belong until next season.

True, i was listening to the From downtown, podcast by the Indy Star and they agree with you as well.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:31 pm

Grang33r wrote:

Second unit

True, i was listening to the From downtown, podcast by the Indy Star and they agree with you as well.

Most of the regular posters here started saying a couple of months back that we needed a big 4 that could play defense (Siakam can, and offense as well...) =} but to see this, how that roster is shaking out,...there are a number of more talented teams, but there aren't any obvious mismatches, where we can say before the game,.. 'Yeah, Tatum is going to get 60, and hold his man to 20'. Feeling really positive about the potential.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:56 pm

Grang33r wrote:

Second unit

I think I’d flip Nembhard and Buddy, but can’t hate either concept. I just think that Siakam can and will be that second ball handler that Carlisle loves having in the starting lineup, and Nembhard to the bench unit will allow for a second ball handler in that lineup with McConnell. Plus, I just think that Buddy’s motion shooting off the catch would be DEADLY with Haliburton/Siakam. And , adding a second perimeter defender like Nembhard out there with McConnell will take a lot of stress off of Smith at the back line that playing Buddy/Mathurin/Obi would add.

But even then, I think Rick will play a 9 man rotation and Obi will be the odd man out most nights?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:42 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe still on the (garbage time) or development minutes and G league experience assignments where they belong until next season.

Tshiebwe is on a two-way so his situation is different unless they elevate him to fill the open roster spot. I don't see why they would though as we already have 3 centers on the roster unless Smith or Jackson is traded.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:53 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe still on the (garbage time) or development minutes and G league experience assignments where they belong until next season.

Tshiebwe is on a two-way so his situation is different unless they elevate him to fill the open roster spot. I don't see why they would though as we already have 3 centers on the roster unless Smith or Jackson is traded.

Feels like Tshiebwe was a multi year developmental dining in case a Jalen Smith leaves next year.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#14 » by 8305 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 pm

I like nemhard over Hield. Our recent improvement defensively has come with leaning into our better defenders. While doing that we still score just fine.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#15 » by Solid » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:20 pm

Closing is way more critical than starting and that might change day to day. Do they have a great scoring guard...Nembhard. Are they trying to zone us? Buddy. Is Mathurin destroying them with his drives? Is TJ disrupting them? Do we need to go big or small?
I love our versatility now.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#16 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 pm

Grang33r wrote:Figured i make a separate topic away from trade chatter in the Siakam thread. Once he arrives and we are healthy, what is our lineup going to look like?

Haliburton / McConnell
Hield / Nembhard / Sheppard
Nesmith / Mathurin
Siakam / Toppin / Walker
Turner / Smith / Jackson

Thats how i see it.

That's more or less it

Haliburton, Siakam, Turner, Mathurin, Nesmith, Nembhard, Hield, McConnell, Toppin, and Smith are likely the 10 players getting playing time

A bit of a glut at the 4 and 5, with Jackson and Walker probably only playing in the event of injuries

It'll resolve itself though, once Toppin and Smith leave as free agents Jackson and Walker can step up to fill the backup roles

Return to Indiana Pacers