Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,142

Re: Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:52 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I'm guessing that depends on how much lower?... with the new CBA, if we signed Buddy at say 16M

13-16 sounds reasonable. I doubt he'd get higher offers. I also doubt he'd be happy about it.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 166

Post#42 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I'm guessing that depends on how much lower?... with the new CBA, if we signed Buddy at say 16M

13-16 sounds reasonable. I doubt he'd get higher offers. I also doubt he'd be happy about it.

Yeah,... idk? Some of the things he does are very important to the Pacers offense, and very few players actually do them well? (Guard screens, Ghost screens, movement shooting, etc.) Even if Buddy is having an off night shooting, he still moves into open spots so well, and has so much gravity. Defenses feel like they have to react to him.

The non-taxpayer MLE for next season is projected at $12,951,000. I guess I feel like he could be worth anything from 15 - 20, depending on his role? If we think that say, Sheppard is ready & able to begin to provide a very similar skillset,... then maybe lower?

I think someone who needs the extra spacing he generates, will likely offer him a 16-20 contract? He plays a very different game than most of the '3 point shooters' in the league. In the right offense,... that could really be valuable,...(Orlando, LAL - unfortunately, Miami, NYK, Houston, even Milwaukee,...??)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:19 pm

JMaster5K wrote:The non-taxpayer MLE for next season is projected at $12,951,000. I guess I feel like he could be worth anything from 15 - 20, depending on his role

I'm much more comfortable with that now that we don't need roster spots for first round picks, but I'd want team option(s).
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#44 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 am

Timelord + Thybulle for Hield + 2nds? I don’t hate it. Kind of reminds me of when Indy signed Andrew Bynum, I got quite excited about it and then he just never played.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#45 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:20 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Generally, the consideration is “not losing the salary slot” so you can have proper trade ballast, etc. if Buddy walks, then next year, your only contract between $11m and $35+m is Myles Turner at just under $20m. If you want to make a trade in that range, you’re either forced to deal Myles, or forced to stack multiple guys on smaller contracts. If you extend Buddy now on something team friendly, you could more easily salary match a deal for someone in that $20m range. Etc.

This is why Bruce Brown got the deal that he did. A good player with a very trade friendly deal. One option would be Fournier because he has the team option for next year at $18m or whatever but I don’t like the idea of giving Hield to NY.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#46 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:25 am

Anyone for bringing Bogdanovic back? Hield + 17 SRPs for Bogie? I’m not sure Detroit would let him go but his $19m salary for next season is a good number and he’s a hell of a player.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:30 am

jarryd3107 wrote:Anyone for bringing Bogdanovic back? Hield + 17 SRPs for Bogie? I’m not sure Detroit would let him go but his $19m salary for next season is a good number and he’s a hell of a player.

Where would he fit in the rotation?
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#48 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:40 am

Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:Anyone for bringing Bogdanovic back? Hield + 17 SRPs for Bogie? I’m not sure Detroit would let him go but his $19m salary for next season is a good number and he’s a hell of a player.

He’s too good not to. He can play 3 and some small ball 4, also is a solid starter in the event Nesmith misses time. We’re pretty thin at the 3.

* edited to say it’s possible Smith or Toppin is dealt so front court minutes could soon be available
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 742

Post#49 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 am

Wizop wrote:

He’s a very good scorer still, however I don’t see him fitting into the Pacers, defense minded requirement, rotation, age group, or pushing the ball quickly scheme.

I think they’ll go a different direction if they are able to move Hield.

I’m thinking Hield probably wants 20mil next season. I don’t see the Pacers giving him a contract due to his defensive liability.

I’m now less concerned about the 3 point shooting he provides for the rest of this season. For next season though they might need a cheaper veteran 3 point bench player who can play McConnell type minutes when needed.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#50 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:36 am

If we acquired Kuminga would he wear 000?
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

He’s a very good scorer still, however I don’t see him fitting into the Pacers, defense minded requirement, rotation, age group, or pushing the ball quickly scheme.

I think they’ll go a different direction if they are able to move Hield.

I’m thinking Hield probably wants 20mil next season. I don’t see the Pacers giving him a contract due to his defensive liability.

I’m now less concerned about the 3 point shooting he provides for the rest of this season. For next season though they might need a cheaper veteran 3 point bench player who can play McConnell type minutes when needed.

We have a chance to make noise in the playoffs this season, so if we swap Hield for a similar contract that has one more year on it (as discussed above in relation to managing the cap) a player like Bogie makes a lot of sense. He’s been in big spots, has a great offensive game

Other options for that type of contract are Fournier, Capela, Brogdon, D’Angelo, Isaac, Lonzo and THJ - all of which are either unavailable (THJ probably) or won’t help the team as much as Bogie. Otherwise we let Hield walk and lose the salary spot.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:31 am

Would Memphis move off Kennard with Bane’s contract starting next season? Something like Kennard* for Hield + 2nds? Even then at $14m his contract isn’t great for aggregating in a trade given our other contracts.

* edited to remove Biyombo, pretty sure he’s already been released
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,400

Post#53 » by boomershadow » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:52 am

I think it's more likely we keep and extend Buddy, even if the number may seem a lot to us. He's a favorite of both Carlisle and Haliburton. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade some of the other options are, and I'd rather let Buddy walk and sign a minimum guy than Fournier
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 166

Post#54 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think it's more likely we keep and extend Buddy, even if the number may seem a lot to us. He's a favorite of both Carlisle and Haliburton. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade some of the other options are, and I'd rather let Buddy walk and sign a minimum guy than Fournier

Yeah,.. and I'm not sure how much to read into him not agreeing an extension?.... I was thinking that the extension changes kicked in this season, but Scoot corrected (properly so - thanks mate!) that they don't kick in till next year. So, the most the Pacers could offer him in the first year of an extension is 105% of the last season of his current contract. That would mean a first year of $19,496,592. He is also coming off a declining contract. So, the first year of a new extension would be less than he made last year?

Could be a case to be made that it would be better to re-sign in FA when you could offer him another front loaded contract or a flatline contract? His cap hold for this summer is $28.92M. That is, if we are willing to go into the tax next year? We should have around 23.6M - 30.6M tax room to sign OB1 and Hield,... or 29M - 36M to sign OB1, Hield, and Stix, if Stix opts out? Might be worth it as the new CBA penalties for being in the tax, next year, are no where near as costly as this year?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#55 » by 8305 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:08 pm

With two max money contracts (Hali and Pascal) how many $12mil/yr contracts can Pacers take on for guys who don’t project as starters? I’m seeing Hield, Smith and Toppin as candidates. I’m thinking one. If that’s the case I’d go with Smith. He’s the only one I consider a potential two way player and I like having an insurance piece in the event Pacers and Turner can’t come to terms in 2025.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:34 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think it's more likely we keep and extend Buddy, even if the number may seem a lot to us. He's a favorite of both Carlisle and Haliburton. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade some of the other options are, and I'd rather let Buddy walk and sign a minimum guy than Fournier

Hield has already declined one extension offer, so Indy would need to up their offer to keep him, and that’s not something they normally do.

Letting Hield walk really restricts what the pacers can do in terms of trades next season. The prudent move would be to trade him if they don’t think they can keep him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:52 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:Letting Hield walk really restricts what the pacers can do in terms of trades next season. The prudent move would be to trade him if they don’t think they can keep him.

I really don't see a big need to make a trade next year. I like our entire roster. two of our two ways might even be ready to move up. I might feel differently if moving Buddy or Stix would get us back into the first round.
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 960

Post#58 » by Pacernation » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:10 pm

To me it is quite obvious - pay Stix and Obi and let Buddy walk. I don't see much reason to keep him anyway. We got Nembhard, Nesmith, Mathurin and Sheppard that can play the two and are all improving while Buddy is who he is and is playing worse than last year. You can argue that they all are better on defense allready so why keep him despite the fact he is Halis bro? Don't think we get much for his expiring anyway, so why not just play it out and move on?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,132

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:56 pm

I think it’s important to remember that players have to agree to an extension. A team can’t just decide whether or not to extend a guy and it happens. We offered Buddy a solid extension, and one that included a renegotiation and extension earlier in the season. He reportedly wanted to not lock himself into a forever bench spot, and knows that Mathurin/Nembhard (and now maybe even Sheppard) are destined to play ahead of him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,132

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote: If you extend Buddy now on something team friendly, you could more easily salary match a deal for someone in that $20m range. Etc.

Or you could make that trade now, but if you bring him back at a lower salary, you've lost that trade possibility.

Yeah. I’m a believer in moving Buddy for someone that in a smaller deal, but one that’s going into next year.

Return to Indiana Pacers