Woj & Shams: Buddy traded to Philly for Morris/Kork/ 3 2nds

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Re: Woj & Shams: Buddy traded to Philly for Morris/Kork/ 3 2nds 

Post#41 » by JMaster5K » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:14 pm

Rumors had Detroit dealing Bojan & Thad,... if we can intercept that one & resign Edmond Sumner,.. we are almost there! o0
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#42 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#43 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter

In summary
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#44 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:23 pm

boomershadow wrote:I hope CoJo is just emergency insurance lol. I do not want to see him playing over any of the guards.

you need 3 PGs and it looks like Nembhard is going to be just a SG.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#45 » by vtime » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:30 pm

Wizop wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I hope CoJo is just emergency insurance lol. I do not want to see him playing over any of the guards.

Hes a high assist pg, not just a sg. Feels like injury insurance with the Joseph addition or just too many second round picks
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#46 » by JMaster5K » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:32 pm

Gotta hand it to the FO,.. they are really making some slick moves,...
Wizop
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:43 pm

vtime wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Hes a high assist pg, not just a sg. Feels like injury insurance with the Joseph addition or just too many second round picks

understood, but it looks like the plan is to keep Nembhard at the two to make PT for TJ.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#48 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:49 pm

Doug McDermott is averaging 6 points per game, 43% from 3, 45% from 2 and no other relevant stats for the Spurs this season. Hope he still can move like he used to in the offense.

Cory Joseph is an expiring contract for $3,196,448 and is averaging 2.4 points per game shooting 31% from 3, 45% from 2 and no other relevant stats.

You get a sharp shooter in McBuckets and a backup veteran in Joseph whom both will fit the Pacers locker room requirements better than Morris would have. Hopefully both can mentor and give contributions in reserve minutes when needed.
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 928

Post#49 » by Pacernation » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:59 pm

We traded Buddy for McDermott, a second and a bunch of cash for our poor ownership. This sucks on so many levels. And Joseph is not a competent backup. He's beyond cooked. You get a better player on the buyout market or the g-league. This is garbage and an absolut waste.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#50 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Interesting question and answer.

Buyouts and possibles from today’s activity

Killian Hayes
Delon Wright
Otto Porter Jr.
Danuel House
Seth Curry
Shake Milton
Devonte Graham
Patty Mills
Kira Lewis Jr.
Victor Oladipo
James Bouknight
Robin Lopez
Cory Joseph
Furkan Korkmaz

I’m not sure if any of these players are worth eating Korkmaz or Joseph’s low salaries to spend more money on ? Anyone that you want ?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#51 » by boomershadow » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:23 pm

Pacernation wrote:We traded Buddy for McDermott, a second and a bunch of cash for our poor ownership. This sucks on so many levels. And Joseph is not a competent backup. He's beyond cooked. You get a better player on the buyout market or the g-league. This is garbage and an absolut waste.

I don't think it was about the money. It was just time to move on from Buddy.

I loved the good Buddy moments, but there really isn't room in the rotation for the minutes he wants to play, not room in the budget for the money he wants to make, and he definitely wasn't making our bad defense any better. It's kind of addition by subtraction. I don't expect McBuckets to get much playing time, but I might be wrong. If anything it's to clear some room for Sheppard.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:25 pm

boomershadow wrote:I don't think it was about the money. It was just time to move on from Buddy.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Buddy in turn thought it was time to move on from the Pacers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'm a little unclear of our motivation. I understood the argument to trade Buddy to preserve the salary slot, but we traded his expiring deal for two more expiring deals. I suppose that means he really wanted out and this was the best we could do.

Could we hold the salary spot this summer by resigning Jalen Smith?

Scoot???

I thought there was a reason to trade for someone making near what Buddy made but on a longer contract. for example, Wiggins.

We’ll have full bird rights on Jalen Smith, it we’ll have to convince him to re sign, he won’t be tradeable until December/January, and he won’t make near what Buddy did without an overpay?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:40 pm

Based on the cash we were paid by GS, I would not assume that CoJo really suits up for Indy, and instead that spot goes to James Johnson.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#55 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Based on the cash we were paid by GS, I would not assume that CoJo really suits up for Indy, and instead that spot goes to James Johnson.

Read on Twitter
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#56 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:11 pm

Pacernation wrote:We traded Buddy for McDermott, a second and a bunch of cash for our poor ownership. This sucks on so many levels. And Joseph is not a competent backup. He's beyond cooked. You get a better player on the buyout market or the g-league. This is garbage and an absolut waste.

We traded Buddy for McDermott, currently the 36th pick in this draft (where we don’t have a first), another (unprotected) future 2nd and got the maximum cash payout for a guy who wanted out of town. What more would you hope for?

CoJo was already waived. Golden State paid us a TON of cash to clear even more luxury tax savings.

Also, now that Indy has taken the league maximum in cash payments, they can’t take any cash payments at the draft, so you don’t have to worry about that?
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 928

Post#58 » by Pacernation » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

We traded Buddy for McDermott, currently the 36th pick in this draft (where we don’t have a first), another (unprotected) future 2nd and got the maximum cash payout for a guy who wanted out of town. What more would you hope for?

CoJo was already waived. Golden State paid us a TON of cash to clear even more luxury tax savings.

Also, now that Indy has taken the league maximum in cash payments, they can’t take any cash payments at the draft, so you don’t have to worry about that?

We got 3 seconds and sent out 2. The second from Golden State is Charlottes top 55 protected so i won't count that, which makes it Buddy for McDermott and one second rounder which we know will be used on some comboguard that will never sniff an NBA court and a boatload of cash for Mr. Simon. I just hate burning through tradeable assets to throw cash at a billionaire. Just allways makes me wonder how serious this team is about winning.
I would've hoped for a trade that improves the team and if that's not possible stand pat and not disrupt team chemistry when Hali and TJ praised Buddy to the media. So we downgraded the roster and team moral for a second pick and cash. To me that's just stupid but what do I know.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:33 pm

Pacernation wrote: but what do I know.

What you don't know is what the players were telling coaches and management. If Buddy was unhappy with his role, we may have done what he wanted and the other players may have appreciated that.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#60 » by boomershadow » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

If Buddy was as unhappy with his role and future here as has been hinted at, keeping him probably would have been worse for team morale.

Return to Indiana Pacers