Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Re: Woj & Shams: Buddy traded to Philly for Morris/Kork/ 3 2nds 

Post#81 » by AussiePacer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:00 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
boomershadow wrote:Idk. Am I crazy for thinking we should have kept Korkmaz

You’re not crazy because what sticks in our minds is how 3-4 years ago he was a role player in Philly. He’s fallen out of the rotation and his stats have been poor.

Not sure who they’re looking at bringing in but they don’t need any more James Johnson types.

Had the same thought. I don’t pay a huge amount of attention to role players admittedly, but remember him having some games including against us where he’d put up some decent numbers.

A bit of an odd one.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#82 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:34 pm

boomershadow wrote:Idk. Am I crazy for thinking we should have kept Korkmaz

I don't see what the rush was unless there was a chemistry concern. waiving him leaves and open roster spot so unless they have a target they could have waited until they had one.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#83 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Korkmaz getting waived (no buyout). Wasn’t expecting that. So now one empty roster spot. Kendall Brown conversion?

Yeah,... did kind of expect it,.. but from a personality, chemistry view. From an earlier post, he was one of the instigators in the fight between Turkey & Georgia in the eurocup this summer. He isn't an antagonist in the locker room, but does (& has done) things his own way. When it fits, it's good,... when it doesn't,.. well,.. it isn't.

Thought there was a miniscule chance we keep CoJo, if his perimeter D could still hold up for 10 - 12 minutes a game,... which I'm guessing, it doesn't.

Maybe Oscar going into the playoffs?......
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#84 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacernation wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
We traded Buddy for McDermott, currently the 36th pick in this draft (where we don’t have a first), another (unprotected) future 2nd and got the maximum cash payout for a guy who wanted out of town. What more would you hope for?

CoJo was already waived. Golden State paid us a TON of cash to clear even more luxury tax savings.

Also, now that Indy has taken the league maximum in cash payments, they can’t take any cash payments at the draft, so you don’t have to worry about that?

We got 3 seconds and sent out 2. The second from Golden State is Charlottes top 55 protected so i won't count that, which makes it Buddy for McDermott and one second rounder which we know will be used on some comboguard that will never sniff an NBA court and a boatload of cash for Mr. Simon. I just hate burning through tradeable assets to throw cash at a billionaire. Just allways makes me wonder how serious this team is about winning.
I would've hoped for a trade that improves the team and if that's not possible stand pat and not disrupt team chemistry when Hali and TJ praised Buddy to the media. So we downgraded the roster and team moral for a second pick and cash. To me that's just stupid but what do I know.

We’re sending the 55th overall pick in this draft where we would’ve otherwise had 4 seconds, and got paid almost $6m to do so.

Would you have preferred we kept Buddy, Benched him in the playoffs when he gets continually hinted on pick and rolls, and then watched him walk in the offseason for nothing?

As for TJ/Haliburton praising Buddy to the media, Buddy had asked for a trade. Indy accommodated him. I also don’t know that Indy downgraded the roster. Mathurin, Nembhard, Nesmith, and Sheppard will get more playing time, and we got pretty good shooters in Dougie and Korkmaz back. The chemistry is a question, but again, Buddy wanted out. :dontknow:

Have to agree with Scoot (again),... New York, Sac-town, and Houston hunted Buddy relentlessly. Even after Ty was back & not at 100%, they continued to hunt Buddy. Buddy's help defense & off ball defense improved dramatically in his time in Indy. However,.. his on-ball defense didn't.

Going into the playoffs, I can only imagine that he was going to be a bigger liability on defense? good teams were starting to switch until they got a big creator on him & take him to the paint. Nothing he, or the team could do about it. On a different team, with additional length, Buddy would be much easier to cover & scheme defensively.

There's an article out today (would have to go find it again) suggesting that the Pacers extension offer to Buddy last summer was 'generous' but with the understanding that he would be coming off the bench. It went further to say (from an interview with Buddy) that he still wanted a chance to start & play major minutes. He doesn't feel like he's a bench player yet. (It implied that there wasn't any animosity. Just that both sides saw things differently.) If any of that is true,... Buddy was leaving anyway, either now, or this summer.

Again, if any of that is true? then the Pacers just helped Buddy get to a destination that is desperate for exactly his skillset with no other options on the roster. (Korkmaz was a sporadic option as a movement shooter,... but he left in the trade.) =} Which would be extremely consistent with how the Pacers have addressed these kind of issues in the past.

If you caught Malcolm's interview just after arriving in Boston,... he said,... 'The Pacer sat down with me & showed 3 offers. They said, 'if we could send you to any of these places where would you want to go?',.. I said 'Boston, if the option is there I would want to go to Boston.' They sent me to Boston, even though I know the other 2 offers were probably better for the team.

Will Buddy be missed,... Oh yeah! Comments from his teammates show that. Personally, one of my favorite players,... over the years, before he got to the Pacers, more words were written about what Buddy 'can't' or 'doesn't' do, than about what he can/does bring to a team. At least here, he got the chance to show what he can bring. Here's hoping that continues with the 76er's. Maybe, in a couple of years, when he no longer considers himself 'not a bench player',... he could be back. (just ask McDermott about that?....) =}
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#85 » by boomershadow » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:30 pm

Oh they absolutely got rid of their weakest link on the bad defense. It's gonna take a lot more than that to make it good though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#86 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:34 pm

Korkmaz waived officially.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#87 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:50 pm

Although I was a fan of Buddy I'm thinking this was a profitable trade deadline, $5.8 million in Mr Simon's bank account and 3 more useless 2nd round picks, IDK maybe they find something with the Toronto 2nd. I always liked Doug I hope he can still shoot it. I don't expect him to play much.

Let's hope they use that high 2nd to pick Zach Edey, not because he's from Purdue but because he's a guy who could help the center depth after Jalen Smith gets away. If Jalen some how resigns it wouldn't hurt having a 7'4'' shot blocking machine in the 2nd unit and he'd be cheep signed to a contract similar to Nembhard's.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#88 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:58 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Let's hope they use that high 2nd to pick Zach Edey, not because he's from Purdue but because he's a guy who could help the center depth after Jalen Smith gets away. If Jalen some how resigns it wouldn't hurt having a 7'4'' shot blocking machine in the 2nd unit and he'd be cheep signed to a contract similar to Nembhard's.

I wouldn't unless perhaps we lose Stix. It will be interesting though to see where he gets picked.

I looked at tankathons mock earlier today to see who might be there in the high 30s and it looked good
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#89 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:18 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Although I was a fan of Buddy I'm thinking this was a profitable trade deadline, $5.8 million in Mr Simon's bank account and 3 more useless 2nd round picks, IDK maybe they find something with the Toronto 2nd. I always liked Doug I hope he can still shoot it. I don't expect him to play much.

Let's hope they use that high 2nd to pick Zach Edey, not because he's from Purdue but because he's a guy who could help the center depth after Jalen Smith gets away. If Jalen some how resigns it wouldn't hurt having a 7'4'' shot blocking machine in the 2nd unit and he'd be cheep signed to a contract similar to Nembhard's.

I was a big advocate for Buddy’s 3 point ability which the Pacers lacked and needed to space the court. I didn’t want him traded until the team had a replacement 3 point threat.

With the acquisition of him and Tyrese coupled with the emergence of Nesmith and Turner knocking down 3’s last season the Pacers 3 point shooting became an instant strength. Add Jalen Smith and Siakam this season and Buddy’s 3 point shooting became expendable. His defense, desire to start, and salary need became his ticket out of town. He was obviously not a stud starter like Tyrese and Pascal.

I wish Buddy well in his attempt to remain a starter and seek his new contract elsewhere. The best way I can describe Buddy is he became a good stepping stone in the building of this franchise’s future championship dream.

It was good to get some capital from an expiring contract and player that wasn’t interested in the franchise’s offer. Maybe McDermott becomes a bargain bench option next season, but if not he can move on. Hopefully he has a lot left in the tank like TJ McConnell.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#90 » by boomershadow » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:13 am

I thought the draft capitol argument in the interview about the trade was a little overblown. This trade wasn't made to get a couple 2nd rounders nor does a few 2nds really make or break a rebuild.

Buddy wanted too much money, and the Pacers have young guys that need his playing time to develop.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#91 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Let's hope they use that high 2nd to pick Zach Edey, not because he's from Purdue but because he's a guy who could help the center depth after Jalen Smith gets away. If Jalen some how resigns it wouldn't hurt having a 7'4'' shot blocking machine in the 2nd unit and he'd be cheep signed to a contract similar to Nembhard's.

I wouldn't unless perhaps we lose Stix. It will be interesting though to see where he gets picked.

I looked at tankathons mock earlier today to see who might be there in the high 30s and it looked good

Well we won't know if we're gonna lose Stix until after the draft. Spending a 2nd round pick on a 2 time national player of the year who happens to be 7'4'' and a local hero to many seems like a good move. And a cheap insurance policy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#92 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:I thought the draft capitol argument in the interview about the trade was a little overblown. This trade wasn't made to get a couple 2nd rounders nor does a few 2nds really make or break a rebuild.

Buddy wanted too much money, and the Pacers have young guys that need his playing time to develop.

More importantly, Buddy simply wanted out. And Indy accommodated that. I think Chad Buchanan’s silence and non-answer when asked about that is an answer in and of itself, and if you could ask him off the record, he’d probably admit as much.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#93 » by Tom White » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Chad Buchanan’s silence and non-answer

Speaking of silence, where has Pritchard been? He seems to be absent from the team more and more for a while. At least from the standpoint of forward-facing events. Is he stepping aside to an even greater degree? Has he been abducted by aliens?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#94 » by JMaster5K » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I thought the draft capitol argument in the interview about the trade was a little overblown. This trade wasn't made to get a couple 2nd rounders nor does a few 2nds really make or break a rebuild.

More importantly, Buddy simply wanted out. And Indy accommodated that. I think Chad Buchanan’s silence and non-answer when asked about that is an answer in and of itself, and if you could ask him off the record, he’d probably admit as much.

Woj Pod talking about Buddy & 76er's around 16:40,... at about 16:30, they start talking about Buddy & the Pacers, then the Pacers.

Woj comment 'The Pacers made a 'sizable' offer to extend Buddy last summer. I don't think that offer will be on the table in free agency'.

Only reinforces Scoots point,... this wasn't about the money. This was about the minutes and opportunity. Pacers traded Buddy to place were he immediately become part of their core to finish this year, and a team with the cap space & needs to resign Buddy if it works.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#95 » by Wizop » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Tom White wrote:Speaking of silence, where has Pritchard been? He seems to be absent from the team more and more for a while. At least from the standpoint of forward-facing events. Is he stepping aside to an even greater degree? Has he been abducted by aliens?

Chad now has the GM title. Kev has moved up a notch or two.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:55 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Chad Buchanan’s silence and non-answer

Speaking of silence, where has Pritchard been? He seems to be absent from the team more and more for a while. At least from the standpoint of forward-facing events. Is he stepping aside to an even greater degree? Has he been abducted by aliens?

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Speaking of silence, where has Pritchard been? He seems to be absent from the team more and more for a while. At least from the standpoint of forward-facing events. Is he stepping aside to an even greater degree? Has he been abducted by aliens?

Chad now has the GM title. Kev has moved up a notch or two.

Yeah, Chad is the day to day GM. KP is more of the overall President. He has final say on personnel, but he also now oversees a ton of the overall basketball operations. Chad does most of the legwork, so KP lets him do a lot of the face time stuff.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:45 pm

Missed it earlier, but both Gregg Doyel and Tony East have separately reported that Buddy asked for a trade.

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#98 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Korkmaz getting waived (no buyout). Wasn’t expecting that. So now one empty roster spot. Kendall Brown conversion?

Yeah,... did kind of expect it,.. but from a personality, chemistry view. From an earlier post, he was one of the instigators in the fight between Turkey & Georgia in the eurocup this summer. He isn't an antagonist in the locker room, but does (& has done) things his own way. When it fits, it's good,... when it doesn't,.. well,.. it isn't.

Thought there was a miniscule chance we keep CoJo, if his perimeter D could still hold up for 10 - 12 minutes a game,... which I'm guessing, it doesn't.

Maybe Oscar going into the playoffs?......

Looking back at this they probably could have used Joseph after Mathurin went down. I'm still now clear on what the 3 2nds were from philly for Buddy.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#99 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:32 am

Morris sure killed us last night. I was okay cutting him because of personality but . . .

Return to Indiana Pacers