Buddy Hield trade starting to look like a blunder!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Buddy Hield trade starting to look like a blunder! 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:30 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Gotta agree. Shep is starting to show out. After he has a full summer camp & off season with the team, gotta believe it was likely that he could/would move ahead of Buddy due to age, defense, ball handling.

the other day I was thinking of a second unit for next year and then I realized I'd left Mathurin out.

Haiburton, Nembhard, Nesmith, Siakim, Turner
McConnell, Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, Brown, Toppin, Smith, Jackson

I like that 13. 12 if Smith walks but OT could be 13.

currently 14 and 15 are McDermott and Johnson.

Once again,... agree. Though,.. I gotta hope that a couple of guys (Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, ?) mature & improve so much that it moves Nembhard & Nesmith to the bench. Cause if our first 8 is good enough that those 2 are pulling good minutes on the second unit,... THEN, we are a contender. =}

I think the Pacers need to get Zach Edey in the 2nd round. It's not much of a risk to use a 2nd on him give him a 4 year deal like they did Nebbhard. Turner is 28 and going into his contract year. Knocks on Edey is that he has no 3 pt shot but Rudy Gobert doesn't either. Did anyone see the game with Tenn yesterday. He's a freaking giant!

If Edey is gone there is a guy at UConn I like Donovan Clingan 7-2 shot blocker 2.5 per game, 12 points and 7.5 rebs and he's only a Soph-a-more as the great Keith Jackson used to say.

Jackson may be a small ball 5 but I don't think it would hurt to start thinking about life after Turner. Using a 2nd and the 15th roster spot to get a guy like Edey or Clingan would make sense.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,076

Post#22 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:49 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I think the Pacers need to get Zach Edey in the 2nd round.

I can see drafting a center particularly if Smith leaves but I think Edey and Clingan and even Ware may have moved up into the first round. after we traded our firsts though, I stopped following the draft as closely as I usually do.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:48 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I think the Pacers need to get Zach Edey in the 2nd round.

I can see drafting a center particularly if Smith leaves but I think Edey and Clingan and even Ware may have moved up into the first round. after we traded our firsts though, I stopped following the draft as closely as I usually do.

I doubt they go in the 1st round. And the Pacers won't know if Smith is leaving until after the draft. They have 3 2nds.

I think Ware might go in the late 1st, but I think Edey might be there at 40 if the Pacers can trade up. One of them should be there. There's also that guy from Creighton Kalkbrenner he might actually have a 3 pt shot. I'd try to combine the 2nds maybe with a future 2nd and move up. Even if Smith does come back Edey could be far better than Smits was, he's a better shot blocker and rebounder. It's worth burning a 2nd.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#24 » by jowglenn » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:41 pm

I will say, after they passed up on Trayce Jackson-Davis in favor of Mojave King and Isaiah Wong, I have little confidence that the Pacers will do anything useful with the 2nd rounders in this year's draft. If Edey falls to be available at wherever we have a 2nd (wildly unclear to me) I bet we'll take some random nobody who never plays a minute
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:50 pm

jowglenn wrote:I will say, after they passed up on Trayce Jackson-Davis in favor of Mojave King and Isaiah Wong,

TJD was a money decision not a talent one. OT makes up for it a little but I was on GG Jackson at 40.

I find it hard to second guess our low level drafting after big hits on Nembhard and Sheppard. the common element was college seniors,
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:30 pm

Wizop wrote:
jowglenn wrote:I will say, after they passed up on Trayce Jackson-Davis in favor of Mojave King and Isaiah Wong,

TJD was a money decision not a talent one. OT makes up for it a little but I was on GG Jackson at 40.

I find it hard to second guess our low level drafting after big hits on Nembhard and Sheppard. the common element was college seniors,

I don't know how TJD was a money issue, he wanted a 4 year contract he signed with GSW on a rookie minimum deal.

$1,119,563
$1,891,857
$2,221,677
$2,406,205
Total of $3,011,420

If you're worried about Smith leaving TJD would be a cheap center/PF. He's a better rebounder than Toppin who they traded 2 2nd for after dumping Duarte. Toppin cost more than TJD, $6.8 million and needs to be resigned. I'll put my $10 on TJD being a better NBA player in the long run. Could have had him at 47 instead of Nosmoking.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:38 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
I don't know how TJD was a money issue, he wanted a 4 year contract he signed with GSW on a rookie minimum deal.

He demanded a regular contract not a two way. Perhaps that isn't technically a money issue but a roster issue. As I've written many times though, I think we should've stayed at 40.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:10 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

He demanded a regular contract not a two way. Perhaps that isn't technically a money issue but a roster issue. As I've written many times though, I think we should've stayed at 40.

And then they traded Duarte and used 2nds to bring in Toppin who costs six times as much and will never be a better rebounder than TJD. Now Toppin has to be resigned, the roster spot argument is as hollow as the justification for giving Bruce Brown $22 million. That was another roster spot. The Brown contract ended up being used to get SIakam so we'll have to see him he is resigned before we call that a win.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:27 am

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Once again,... agree. Though,.. I gotta hope that a couple of guys (Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, ?) mature & improve so much that it moves Nembhard & Nesmith to the bench.

but Nembhard and Nesmith are by far our best wing defenders today.

I wonder how we'll approach the playoffs. most teams shorten their rotation to 7 or 8. will we or will we stick with a full second unit and try to run the legs off the opponent?

True, Nembhard & Nesmith are our best wing defenders today. They might not be if say Sheppard & Walker become the defenders they are capable of being?... Even if they remain our best wing-D, I'm just hoping that 2 of these guys develop enough all around game to move them to the bench.

If that happens, regardless of the offense / defense mix (because you aren't going to start for Coach unless you play defense!), we would a scary deep team,.. with real talent (rotation players who could start & not just 'role' players). IMHO,.. that would put us on the list of real 'contenders'.

Yes, I think you are right,... there was nice discussion at the beginning of the season about one of our biggest strengths being our ability to run at all positions, and deep into the rotation. It's one thing to say that you win some regular season games due to pace,... but if your opponent has to run with the Pacers for 7 consecutive games,... even this team, this year, is going to make some teams hurt.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Post#30 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:39 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:
the other day I was thinking of a second unit for next year and then I realized I'd left Mathurin out.

Haiburton, Nembhard, Nesmith, Siakim, Turner
McConnell, Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, Brown, Toppin, Smith, Jackson

I like that 13. 12 if Smith walks but OT could be 13.

currently 14 and 15 are McDermott and Johnson.

Once again,... agree. Though,.. I gotta hope that a couple of guys (Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, ?) mature & improve so much that it moves Nembhard & Nesmith to the bench. Cause if our first 8 is good enough that those 2 are pulling good minutes on the second unit,... THEN, we are a contender. =}

I think the Pacers need to get Zach Edey in the 2nd round. It's not much of a risk to use a 2nd on him give him a 4 year deal like they did Nebbhard. Turner is 28 and going into his contract year. Knocks on Edey is that he has no 3 pt shot but Rudy Gobert doesn't either. Did anyone see the game with Tenn yesterday. He's a freaking giant!

If Edey is gone there is a guy at UConn I like Donovan Clingan 7-2 shot blocker 2.5 per game, 12 points and 7.5 rebs and he's only a Soph-a-more as the great Keith Jackson used to say.

Jackson may be a small ball 5 but I don't think it would hurt to start thinking about life after Turner. Using a 2nd and the 15th roster spot to get a guy like Edey or Clingan would make sense.

I think your analysis of the team is right on the money. I think they will be looking at a back-up, developmental 5 during the offseason. Particularly if Stix leaves. I don't think Clingan will be available in the second. The big question about him was his 'in the box' mobility, and his ability to pass, or otherwise handle double teams in the NBA, or shoot to add outside the box value. He's done a really good job of answering those questions in the last 2 weeks of the season & over the tournament. Quite a few mocks are now projecting him from the late lottery to the mid first round?

Not sure the Pacers would go with Edey either? I believe he is very underrated at the moment, & eyes are starting to open. All the mocks & comments after last season were focused on what he couldn't do. Most are now starting to really see what he can do. He is climbing. He's projected into the late-mid first to the late first. I also don't think he really 'fits' the Pacers. They need bigs that can really run. Edey is MUCH more mobile than a lot of sportswriter used to believe,.. but he is not a court runner. There are a number of teams that play at his pace that could use him,... Miami, Denver, Phoenix, LAC, Nets, Celtics?...
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#31 » by Pacers Forever » Yesterday 8:31 pm

Buddy Hield so far in the four 76ers playoff games

11 minutes 0-2 1 assist no points

15 minutes 1-3 1 rebound 1 turnover 2 points

4 minutes 0-2 1 block no points

DNP coaches decision

With Buddy’s 3 point ability and years of NBA experience he’s not being used much. I don’t think it’s the rotation as much as three other issues.

I believe it’s either that he doesn’t fit in with their system or the coaching believes that. I guess we’ll see next season if he lands elsewhere. Not looking good for the big payday he’s seeking to start for a team.

My second thought is he’s just not contributing consistently enough to warrant playing time over teammates.

Thirdly is that he’s in the twilight of his career and fading away into mediocrity. Happens to most.

We know from the Buddy Hield experience we’ve seen here that he is very good at times, but mostly inconsistent. Even though he’s very likable with teammates it appears Buddy gets into his own head causing himself to lose confidence or concentration. Possibly it’s others that affect his ability to be consistent. IDK

The Pacers were willing to keep Buddy on their terms so they still saw value. I think the Pacers did themselves a huge solid parting ways with Buddy and helping Buddy be happy in a better playing situation for him.

I liked Buddy however I believe Nembhard, Nesmith, and Sheppard will supply the 3 point shooting plus so much more (defense). Toppin has also been good from 3. The youth movement was the correct move rather than retaining Buddy.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 407

Post#32 » by Grang33r » Today 2:37 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Buddy Hield so far in the four 76ers playoff games

11 minutes 0-2 1 assist no points

15 minutes 1-3 1 rebound 1 turnover 2 points

4 minutes 0-2 1 block no points

DNP coaches decision

lol yeah. I don't care how the Sixers series would end up and if Pacers lost in 5 vs a healthy Bucks team, the decision to trade Buddy was not a blunder. The minute he was dealt we knew it wasn't a blunder.

Only sucked to Ty bc he's buddies with him but they'll catch up in the summer.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r

Return to Indiana Pacers