2024 Off-Season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#21 » by Tom White » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:07 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm beginning to think we need a beefy backup center.

How about a beefy starting center instead?
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 150

Post#22 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:42 pm

Yeah,... been keeping tabs on Adem Bona from UCLA. He Turkish,... from the Turkish league as a kid. Last time he was measured, he was 6'9" barefoot,.. with a 7'4" wingspan,... around a 9'4" standing reach. He plays physical. Also, reportedly a + level athlete, with exceptional speed in the open court. A bit like a center version of Ob1. His defense (rim protection) is way ahead of his offense at this point,... but, for a deep bench development type, that could play behind Myles for at least a couple of years,.. might not be bad?....
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#23 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:44 pm

Tom White wrote:

Could do,... but I'm thankful everyday,.. we still have Myles,.. and don't have DeAndre. LOL =]

(not that there was ever really a risk of that....)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,076

Post#24 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:57 pm

Tom White wrote:

No, I like Miles but there are teams we just don't matchup well against. We can matchup well against small ball but there are nights that a Valanciunas type would help. Neither Miles, Smith, nor Jackson (nor Pascal) can muscle with the heavy weights and Oscar may be a bit short.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#25 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:04 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:

No, I like Miles but there are teams we just don't matchup well against. We can matchup well against small ball but there are nights that a Valanciunas type would help. Neither Miles, Smith, nor Jackson (nor Pascal) can muscle with the heavy weights and Oscar may be a bit short.

Anyone you thinking of?... or just identifying a need?.... (yeah, we do need someone a bit more physical.)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:13 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:

a Valanciunas type would help.

Anyone you thinking of?... or just identifying a need?.... (yeah, we do need someone a bit more physical.)

mostly identifying a need. I did pull Valanciunas's name from the list of free agent centers, but I'm open to suggestions - and I don't see Edey at 36.

previously I thought the need was a taller SF to matchup with for example Wagner, but I'm willing to give Walker and Brown a shot at that task.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#27 » by Tom White » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Wizop wrote:
No, I like Miles but there are teams we just don't matchup well against. We can matchup well against small ball but there are nights that a Valanciunas type would help.

Is there a site that lists opposing centers' stats vs the Pacers, and allows comparing those to their overall stats?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#28 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:37 am

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:
No, I like Miles but there are teams we just don't matchup well against. We can matchup well against small ball but there are nights that a Valanciunas type would help.

Is there a site that lists opposing centers' stats vs the Pacers, and allows comparing those to their overall stats?

You can sorta do it from Basketball-reference.com,... but you have to pick a player, go to their 'splits' page & look at how they've done vs the Pacers. I'm pretty sure you can make a search in Stathead to find it, but to get that level of searchable,.. it's a paid service.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 am

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

mostly identifying a need. I did pull Valanciunas's name from the list of free agent centers, but I'm open to suggestions - and I don't see Edey at 36.

previously I thought the need was a taller SF to matchup with for example Wagner, but I'm willing to give Walker and Brown a shot at that task.

Yeah,... I don't see Edey at 36 either. I do hear you though,... we could actually use a more physical big, preferably a 5, or 5/4, that could match up against some of the heavier, stronger 5's. (I won't mention Goga here,..... ) My concern with most of them is how they would affect our pace? Valanciunas is relatively fast for one of the 'big bigs'. So, he would probably be ok. NO was 17th in pace this year. He was part of that, but it also has to do with more than just him. He does shoot the 3, so we wouldn't have to change much on offense?

I could see us looking at Hartenstein or Bomba? Though I kinda like Robert Williams in that role? Would have to make sure his knees are sound,... but he is one that could share the floor with both Myles, and Pascal,... play both the 4 & 5, and add more physicality to frontcourt,... but again, he doesn't have the mass / strength to match up head-to-head with the Jokers of this world?....

I do think there are a few guys in this draft that fit that bill. Really productive, maybe not exceptional athletes, who have made on skill & strength,... or a raw prospect with the athleticism, but a strength based game. (Ulrich Chomche, Adem Bona, PJ Hall, Trevon Brazille),... if he drops a little DaRon Holmes from Dayton is more of a 4, but he plays strong,... similar to DD?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#30 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:52 pm

I always believed Goga could mature into that beefy banger center to backup Myles. He sometimes showed that in his limited minutes off our bench.

Since we moved on from Goga Myles has improved his game but there is still a need for a banger.

Isiah is more of an energy rim protector and rebounder than a on the ball defender. Jalen Smith is more of a scorer and rebounding big with little rim protection or on the ball defender thus my willingness to let him walk.

I would like Hartenstein but he wants to stay in New York.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am

Tom White wrote:

Jonas Valanciunas is a free agent! After Siakam is signed and Toppin signs for a Nesmith sized deal, how about JV for an MLE type deal?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#32 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'd like a bigger SF about 6'8'' or more and a good defender, and I'd like to see Nesmith at SG. That might make Mathurin expendable, I wonder what the Pacers could get for him? I don't really want to trade him but I'd hate to see him fall off like Duarte did.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:42 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I'd like a bigger SF about 6'8'' or more and a good defender, and I'd like to see Nesmith at SG. That might make Mathurin expendable, I wonder what the Pacers could get for him? I don't really want to trade him but I'd hate to see him fall off like Duarte did.

It might also make Nembhard expendable but TJ won't be TJ forever.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#34 » by JMaster5K » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:34 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I'd like a bigger SF about 6'8'' or more and a good defender, and I'd like to see Nesmith at SG. That might make Mathurin expendable, I wonder what the Pacers could get for him? I don't really want to trade him but I'd hate to see him fall off like Duarte did.

It might also make Nembhard expendable but TJ won't be TJ forever.

For me,.. and I might be off base,... I believe that Nembhard & Nesmith would both be at their best as the 6th & 7th man. They are both just ridiculously versatile. Nembhard has things to work on, but as the first guard off the bench at both the 1 and 2, he would maximize his impact on both ends of the floor. The same is true with Nesmith, capable of playing 2, 3, & small 4, at such a high, skillful level. I think both are capable starters for a playoff team, but would be at their best, most impactful as primary 'core', rotation players on a contender.

But,... for the Pacers to reach that level of depth & talent,... we have to have players at the 2 & 3 who are capable of playing Nesmith & Nembhard onto the bench. Those are really hard to find. Even more so when you consider how hard someone would have to work to clearly move ahead of them in the rotation. Who that is?........ (*shrugs*)

I believe Walker can get there at the 3,.. but when? Thanks to our recent winning, do we need someone now? who can challenge Walker & help him develop? At the 2, if Nembhard is coming off the bench,... do we get a younger 2 to develop,... and/or an older 2 to fill in now? Sheppard, could he be ready next year?

Like a couple of people here,... I'm hesitant to say it,.. but Maybe Benn's best fit is elsewhere? Someplace they play a P&R offense that rotates into cuts & isolation? Not so much a passing game? I Love the guys game, what he brings to the team as a player and a person. I don't think there are many that will outwork him. For me, he's a likely multi-year all star,... but can he get there with this team? Can this team contend with him as a key part of the core?.... I'm uncertain of both?

So, for me,... I think we need, through player development or acquisition,.... A bigger 3 that can defend,... some consolidation & consistent roles at the small wing,... and a development banger, that may not now be ready to play much, but with the upside to be have consistent minutes in a season or 2,.. and develop into a starter; and a backup 4 that can play reasonably within the same style as Pascal?

In the larger scheme of FA, drafts, summer leagues,...etc. I think that's a lot to ask for & a lot of change within the limitations of a team that made the playoffs and wants to stay there.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:11 pm

JMaster5K wrote:But,... for the Pacers to reach that level of depth & talent,... we have to have players at the 2 & 3 who are capable of playing Nesmith & Nembhard onto the bench. Those are really hard to find. Even more so when you consider how hard someone would have to work to clearly move ahead of them in the rotation. Who that is?........ (*shrugs*)

I might quibble with regard to Nembhard as we've seen that it is good to have a combo guard playing alongside Haliburton so that the 2 can run the offense when the opponent gangs up on Hali. but putting that aside, I think Walker and Mathurin would be the wings who would compete to start next year. I don't see a need to rush into a trade.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:But,... for the Pacers to reach that level of depth & talent,... we have to have players at the 2 & 3 who are capable of playing Nesmith & Nembhard onto the bench. Those are really hard to find. Even more so when you consider how hard someone would have to work to clearly move ahead of them in the rotation. Who that is?........ (*shrugs*)

I might quibble with regard to Nembhard as we've seen that it is good to have a combo guard playing alongside Haliburton so that the 2 can run the offense when the opponent gangs up on Hali. but putting that aside, I think Walker and Mathurin would be the wings who would compete to start next year. I don't see a need to rush into a trade.

I don't think there is a need to trade them, I've been looking at who that big SF would be, I'll admit I have no clue, I don't think the 2nd round is giving the team such a player without an amazing stroke of luck.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#37 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Wizop wrote:

Agreed,... whomever plays next to Hali, needs to be a capable ball handler in their own right. Coach's offense has always been geared to prefer having 2 ball handlers/ creators on the floor. The synergy that it creates with Hali is critical to having our full offensive arsenal in play. So, if someone was able to 'play Nesmith to the bench', they would have to bring those skills to the position.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#38 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I don't think there is a need to trade them, I've been looking at who that big SF would be, I'll admit I have no clue, I don't think the 2nd round is giving the team such a player without an amazing stroke of luck.

Again,.. I agree. I don't see any obvious candidates around our picks,... or even really at the bottom end of the first? I also don't see anyone that really fits in that role, who is likely to be available or sign & tradeable, on the current FA list? (I mean Annunoby is there, but I really don't think he is 'available' or gettable by us?) Ryan Dunn has started dropping in recent mock drafts,.. but I still think he's gone way before we pick. at this point,... probably hoping that Walker surprises us all & earns the position heading into next season?... long before I think it's possible?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#39 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

One guy I will be watching,... per previous posts in this thread,... Ulrich Chomche. If he stays in the draft,... he will be the youngest entrant. He is part of the Basketball Africa League (BAL). At 18, he's an + athlete; 6'11"; 235 pounds; plays with good measure of physicality and fluidity. He could be that developmental big to learn behind Myles. Oh yeah! He's from Cameroon,.. same as Pascal. =} At the moment,... he's possible anywhere from 20,... to 10 in the 2nd?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#40 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:06 am

JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Again,.. I agree. I don't see any obvious candidates around our picks,... or even really at the bottom end of the first? I also don't see anyone that really fits in that role, who is likely to be available or sign & tradeable, on the current FA list? (I mean Annunoby is there, but I really don't think he is 'available' or gettable by us?) Ryan Dunn has started dropping in recent mock drafts,.. but I still think he's gone way before we pick. at this point,... probably hoping that Walker surprises us all & earns the position heading into next season?... long before I think it's possible?

So I think the Pacers have 3 2nds in this draft. I also think we determined that they have the pick that was the Raps that come from Philly in the Buddy Hield trade, and 2 later picks in the 50's, 51 and 52 it says on NBADraft.net. I think I'd trade the 2 later picks and try to move up and add a future 2nd and try to get back into the 1st round. You mentioned Ryan Dunn he looks like a good player but IDK if he's NBA ready, and if Walker can play some SF I'd look for him to get the backup minutes.

Return to Indiana Pacers