JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 158

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#41 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:27 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
I don't think there is a need to trade them, I've been looking at who that big SF would be, I'll admit I have no clue, I don't think the 2nd round is giving the team such a player without an amazing stroke of luck.

Again,.. I agree. I don't see any obvious candidates around our picks,... or even really at the bottom end of the first? I also don't see anyone that really fits in that role, who is likely to be available or sign & tradeable, on the current FA list? (I mean Annunoby is there, but I really don't think he is 'available' or gettable by us?) Ryan Dunn has started dropping in recent mock drafts,.. but I still think he's gone way before we pick. at this point,... probably hoping that Walker surprises us all & earns the position heading into next season?... long before I think it's possible?

So I think the Pacers have 3 2nds in this draft. I also think we determined that they have the pick that was the Raps that come from Philly in the Buddy Hield trade, and 2 later picks in the 50's, 51 and 52 it says on NBADraft.net. I think I'd trade the 2 later picks and try to move up and add a future 2nd and try to get back into the 1st round. You mentioned Ryan Dunn he looks like a good player but IDK if he's NBA ready, and if Walker can play some SF I'd look for him to get the backup minutes.

All the picks, in the right order, with (if you click on the team) an explanation for how that pick was acquired. =}

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

(you are right on the picks.....)

If I'm honest,.. I don't think there's anyone in this draft that is clearly 'NBA ready'. Of course, there will be a couple that exceed projections in their first year,... but by and large,.. most of this years potential draftees have a hole or holes in their games that probably limit them to spot minutes / specific roles in their first couple of years. I do think there are a large number of players that will eventually be valuable rotation players,.. with long careers. But, nobody that becomes a potential all star in their first year, and only a very few with the possibility of becoming a part of a teams primary 2-4 player core,... eventually.

In Dunn's case,... he's supposed to be an elite level, NBA athlete, who is one of the (if not the best) defender in this draft. His offense,... welllllllllll,.... long way to go. I think he could give the right team 10-15 minutes in most games,.. as a designated defender, as an 8th, 9th, 10th man. Yeah,... he is probably at least 2 - 3 years away from being a true rotation player. He has the potential, just a long way to go. Walker is closer to being a key part of the rotation than Dunn.

I think,.. I'm with you on the draft picks. Even if we traded both the later picks to move up to the middle, upper third of the second round. We are probably still looking at draft & stash picks? or a pure developmental big, that could be G-League or stash?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,084

Post#42 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:51 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:So I think the Pacers have 3 2nds in this draft. I also think we determined that they have the pick that was the Raps that come from Philly in the Buddy Hield trade, and 2 later picks in the 50's, 51 and 52 it says on NBADraft.net. I think I'd trade the 2 later picks and try to move up and add a future 2nd and try to get back into the 1st round.

we have #36. I'm okay passing on the first round this year although if Stix leaves a backup center bigger than OT might be needed. I assume Doug is gone and perhaps JJ retires but between seconds and the two-ways I think we can fill the third unit and I'm happy giving the regulars another year.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:56 am

I think Nembhard and Sheppard (and Miami's Jaquez) have shown the value of players who stayed in college. they tend to be more ready to play than the one and dones. European players also have experience as pros.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#44 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:59 am

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I'm still on the Walker is a 3 wagon. So, I agree. If,... just IF, he can claim the starting job, or full second unit minutes behind Nesmith, and we have Pascal & Ob1, Myles and I-jax,... I'm really OK with that.

I'm okay with much less than that. Ty and TJ are the 1's. Nembhard and Sheppard are the 2's. Nesmith starts at 3. if Walker gets full second unit minutes behind him, where is Mathurin?

Ideally Mathurin wins the 2 spot and Nembhard becomes the 6th man. I’m still a big believer in Ben, he really improved as the season went on. His ceiling is much higher than Nembhard’s, even though I really like both.

Also given the cap situation I don’t think you can trade such a talented player on a rookie deal.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#45 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:So I think the Pacers have 3 2nds in this draft. I also think we determined that they have the pick that was the Raps that come from Philly in the Buddy Hield trade, and 2 later picks in the 50's, 51 and 52 it says on NBADraft.net. I think I'd trade the 2 later picks and try to move up and add a future 2nd and try to get back into the 1st round.

we have #36. I'm okay passing on the first round this year although if Stix leaves a backup center bigger than OT might be needed. I assume Doug is gone and perhaps JJ retires but between seconds and the two-ways I think we can fill the third unit and I'm happy giving the regulars another year.

Well we won't know that Stix is leaving until after the draft most likely.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#46 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:22 am

JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Again,.. I agree. I don't see any obvious candidates around our picks,... or even really at the bottom end of the first? I also don't see anyone that really fits in that role, who is likely to be available or sign & tradeable, on the current FA list? (I mean Annunoby is there, but I really don't think he is 'available' or gettable by us?) Ryan Dunn has started dropping in recent mock drafts,.. but I still think he's gone way before we pick. at this point,... probably hoping that Walker surprises us all & earns the position heading into next season?... long before I think it's possible?

So I think the Pacers have 3 2nds in this draft. I also think we determined that they have the pick that was the Raps that come from Philly in the Buddy Hield trade, and 2 later picks in the 50's, 51 and 52 it says on NBADraft.net. I think I'd trade the 2 later picks and try to move up and add a future 2nd and try to get back into the 1st round. You mentioned Ryan Dunn he looks like a good player but IDK if he's NBA ready, and if Walker can play some SF I'd look for him to get the backup minutes.

All the picks, in the right order, with (if you click on the team) an explanation for how that pick was acquired. =}

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

(you are right on the picks.....)

If I'm honest,.. I don't think there's anyone in this draft that is clearly 'NBA ready'. Of course, there will be a couple that exceed projections in their first year,... but by and large,.. most of this years potential draftees have a hole or holes in their games that probably limit them to spot minutes / specific roles in their first couple of years. I do think there are a large number of players that will eventually be valuable rotation players,.. with long careers. But, nobody that becomes a potential all star in their first year, and only a very few with the possibility of becoming a part of a teams primary 2-4 player core,... eventually.

In Dunn's case,... he's supposed to be an elite level, NBA athlete, who is one of the (if not the best) defender in this draft. His offense,... welllllllllll,.... long way to go. I think he could give the right team 10-15 minutes in most games,.. as a designated defender, as an 8th, 9th, 10th man. Yeah,... he is probably at least 2 - 3 years away from being a true rotation player. He has the potential, just a long way to go. Walker is closer to being a key part of the rotation than Dunn.

I think,.. I'm with you on the draft picks. Even if we traded both the later picks to move up to the middle, upper third of the second round. We are probably still looking at draft & stash picks? or a pure developmental big, that could be G-League or stash?

Dunn looks good as a defender, I don't think we'll get much from him as an offensive player. But there may be enough fire power in the 2nd unit that he could just be a 2nd unit defender.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#47 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:24 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I'm still on the Walker is a 3 wagon. So, I agree. If,... just IF, he can claim the starting job, or full second unit minutes behind Nesmith, and we have Pascal & Ob1, Myles and I-jax,... I'm really OK with that.

I'm okay with much less than that. Ty and TJ are the 1's. Nembhard and Sheppard are the 2's. Nesmith starts at 3. if Walker gets full second unit minutes behind him, where is Mathurin?

Ideally Mathurin wins the 2 spot and Nembhard becomes the 6th man. I’m still a big believer in Ben, he really improved as the season went on. His ceiling is much higher than Nembhard’s, even though I really like both.

Also given the cap situation I don’t think you can trade such a talented player on a rookie deal.

In the end,.. you may be right. We've just been speculating about Benn. His numbers this season, even with his hard work and improvements - which no one can deny, with Ty just haven't been good. (Caitlin Cooper has mentioned this a number of times and highlighted it in at least 2 of her pieces with specifics.)

Frankly, that isn't his fault, or the teams. He is used to an offensive system that relied more on P&R into ISO attacks,... not so much the passing game rotations that the Pacers now use. (though quite of few of the actual plays overlap - when we use any that is - , how you read the floor & where the ball goes really doesn't.)

IMHO, he probably has the highest individual ceiling of any of the Pacers younger players (sans Ty). Admittedly, he is also the one Pacer that can get his shot, any where, at almost any time. But,... if he can't play on the starting unit, because he isn't the attacker creating the bend in the defense (Ty is that person),... and doesn't have the ability to read the floor, come off screens, create space on the perimeter in the passing game, then go downhill. (which he hasn't really shown the ability to move without the ball to make this happen?) Then, he is likely to continue as the designated scorer on the second unit for his time with the Pacers.

Would we want to pay him what he will be worth for that role?... and give up the assets that other teams might pay to have him in a larger role on a better fitting team?

I have a LOT of faith in Benn. I believe he has the upside and work ethic to become a perennial all star. Can he do that on the Pacers based on what we know at the moment?.... I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, even in his current role, he is a valuable part of the team now and moving forward. I just think he isn't going to develop his game to it's apex, and the team will leave value 'sitting on the table' because the fit doesn't maximize either player and team.

I guess the telling guide for me will be this summer into next season,... if Nembhard goes back to first guard off the bench, and Shep is projected as the starter (which he is very capable of doing), then I have to believe Benn will be eventually be better elsewhere, and the team should also be better off for it (through gaining assets).
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 pm

JMaster5K wrote:In the end,.. you may be right. We've just been speculating about Benn. His numbers this season, even with his hard work and improvements - which no one can deny, with Ty just haven't been good. (Caitlin Cooper has mentioned this a number of times and highlighted it in at least 2 of her pieces with specifics.)

She has also written that Benn fits with TJ.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#49 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:11 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:In the end,.. you may be right. We've just been speculating about Benn. His numbers this season, even with his hard work and improvements - which no one can deny, with Ty just haven't been good. (Caitlin Cooper has mentioned this a number of times and highlighted it in at least 2 of her pieces with specifics.)

She has also written that Benn fits with TJ.

Yup,..exactly,... on the second unit. He produces a lot of value on our second unit. I think we are really going to miss him going into the playoffs. But,.. that doesn't change the current status,.. that he doesn't really fit with Ty (which could change. Both are young and work hard.) It also doesn't fit with the projection that he is very likely to outgrow being the primary scorer on the second unit? Not saying anything needs to be done now, but the conversations above were based on the premise that someone would need to be moved at some point & who that was reasonably likely to be, based on what we know at the moment. =]
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,315

Post#50 » by boomershadow » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:20 pm

I don't really see the need for any major moves. I'd rather being back most of the the current guys really. I thought the plan was the team was developing continuity through the youth movement.

Replacing Obi or Smith if one or both leave is probably the main deal. I don't see the team getting a "big wing". I hope to see Walker in the second unit next year, and if you need another 3/4 kinda guy for depth you can always just use Doug.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 943

Post#51 » by Tom White » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 pm

boomershadow wrote:...if you need another 3/4 kinda guy for depth you can always just use Doug.

Do you really expect him to be back next year? I'm not sure I expect that.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#52 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 pm

I think I should clarify,.... What I want to see happen is a totally different conversations from those above.

What I want to see happen is:

- Benn comes back next year making a jump in his game, like he did between year 1 and year 2. Those improvements change the dynamics between he and Ty on the court. (I actually think this is very likely.) He isn't the secondary ball handler we seem to need next to Ty, but he is just as long as both Nesmith and Walker (8'8" standing reach, Walker 8'8.5", Nesmith ~8'7"). With those improvements, he takes the job as our starting SF, with Nesmith coming off the bench. They make a ridiculous 1 - 2 punch on the wing, on both ends.

- Ben comes back showing the same sort of jump that Benn has been making. His improvements (already showing up) as a movement shooter, to go along with his ball handling and defense, make him the starter at the 2. He doesn't screen as well as buddy, but his movement is just as good, and his defense is better. Freeing up Nembhard to play both 1 and 2, as the third guard.

- Jarace comes back making the same sort of jump, becomes the combo forward getting minutes at both the 3 and 4, on the second unit. Earning enough time with his play, that by the end of next year, he's getting ~20 minutes a night and a key part of the rotation.

- Both Nesmith and Nembhard come back with improved games and confidence, but Benn & Ben are playing so well, that they are the 6th & 7th men. (More due to their versatility and all they bring to the table than to any short-comings on their parts.)

- TJ once again,.. is the 3rd PG,... but as we saw this year, he is still going to get minutes and make an impact no matter where he ends up in the theoretical rotation.

We still don't have a 'big wing' to defend the 6'9" guys,... which would be nice,... but not really sure it's needed. Those 6'9" guys would also have to defend Benn, Nesmith, and Walker. I hope those big wings have oxygen available on the bench?....
Wizop
RealGM

Post#53 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:39 pm

Tom White wrote:
boomershadow wrote:...if you need another 3/4 kinda guy for depth you can always just use Doug.

Maybe if JJ retires and Doug is willing to be the towel waiver at the end of the bench (see ML Carr)
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#54 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:Replacing Obi or Smith if one or both leave is probably the main deal. I don't see the team getting a "big wing". I hope to see Walker in the second unit next year, and if you need another 3/4 kinda guy for depth you can always just use Doug.

I actually think this is the bigger question. Right now,.. we got 5 (5.5 guys if you include Walker as a combo forward) guys actually earning minutes at 2 spots, but they aren't all interchangeable.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#55 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:47 pm

JMaster5K wrote:He isn't the secondary ball handler we seem to need next to Ty.

That could be Walker.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#56 » by JMaster5K » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:35 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Maybe if JJ retires and Doug is willing to be the towel waiver at the end of the bench (see ML Carr)

I think I prefer JJ,.... If another team gets chippy,... I don't think Doug is going to throw a single leg & drop the guy on his head, then choke him out,..... JJ can,... and has,... for a paycheck,... LOL =} (Though I could be wrong about Doug?... ) =}
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:53 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I think I prefer JJ,

Seems like an expensive way to add a coach. George Hill would've added more as an emergency player so JJ has to be special at what he adds. Eventually I think TJ will assume that role.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 727

Post#58 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 pm

My hopes are that:

If Jalen Smith stays he becomes a better defender. If Jalen leaves that Isiah Jackson develops into more than a lob threat, rebounder, and rim protector. I’d like to see him improve his offensive post game. I remember it took Myles quite a while to develop his offensive game in the paint.

If Jalen leaves that the Pacers bring in another veteran or young emerging talent who fits the system and contributes immediately keeping the Pacers in the playoffs next season.

Obi Toppin stays on a team friendly contract because he wants to play with Tyrese. I think Obi can contribute even more to this team as we’ve seen his ability to knock down the 3 ball, run the court, dunk, and rebound plus defend sometimes. He set career highs this season in minutes, FG %, 3 pt FG%, assists, steals, ppg, and barely better in rebounds.

Benn Mathurin heals perfectly, learns on some of his drives to take pull up jump shots and floaters avoiding unnecessary contact instead of going for the and 1 every time. Learning to play in the movement and passing offense is a priority to get open shots in the offense rather than always going solo.

Jarace Walker matures into a second team 3 getting more minutes thus developing and showcasing his skills we have seen flashes of.

Ben Sheppard matures more from his huge experience he’s received this year. Hopefully he becomes more of a knock down perimeter threat and continues to develop his defensive skills.

Andrew Nembhard continues to improve his defense and becomes smoother in the offense running it when Tyrese gets doubled. Also I would love to see him more confident of his shot because he tends to get open in the offense.

Pascal Siakam signs with the Pacers this off season. I think he’s the biggest key to long term playoff appearances.

Myles Turner stays healthy and continues to improve his offense like he’s been doing in recent seasons.

Aaron Nesmith continues to improve his offense.

Tyrese improves his defense.

TJ McConnell doesn’t lose a step and continues being a 2 way player.

Oscar Tshiebwe shows the coaching staff if he belongs in the NBA yet or needs more G league seasoning. He certainly played outstanding in the G league as a rookie.

For the rest of the young players that they show promise enough to make the coaching staff notice that they can contribute or stay with the Mad Ants.

If Doug McDermott has anything left I don’t mind him coming back on a vet minimum as long as he can provide instant offense.

As for JJ I hope that they can find a low cost veteran replacement that actually plays filling a defensive role, sharp shooter, or rebounder.

Most of all I hope that they take another step forward in the rebuild because they can’t afford to not make the playoffs anymore unless unavoidable injuries happen.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,085

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:10 pm

All the coin flips just occurred for draft order. Indy will draft at 36 (Toronto, via Philadelphia from the Buddy trade), 49 (via Cleveland) and 50 via New Orleans. Milwaukee’s 2nd ended up at 52, so it is conveyed to GS from our deadline trade where we are Cory Joseph’s contract and got paid a ton of cash.

Our 1st (owed to Toronto) ended up at 19, and OKC’s 1st (also owed to Toronto in the Siakam trade) ended up at 29.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 727

Post#60 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:All the coin flips just occurred for draft order. Indy will draft at 36 (Toronto, via Philadelphia from the Buddy trade), 49 (via Cleveland) and 50 via New Orleans. Milwaukee’s 2nd ended up at 52, so it is conveyed to GS from our deadline trade where we are Cory Joseph’s contract and got paid a ton of cash.

Our 1st (owed to Toronto) ended up at 19, and OKC’s 1st (also owed to Toronto in the Siakam trade) ended up at 29.

I feel like with the young depth we have amassed in the past few seasons the first round 19 and 29 picks would have just been more duplication of second team talent which our roster doesn’t need as much as it needs experienced starters.

In my opinion it was well worth giving them up for a stud starter in Siakam who instantly became our best player.

Return to Indiana Pacers