2024 Off-Season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

2024 Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 pm

Besides re-signing Pascal Siakam, what are the Pacers looking to do this off-season?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:34 pm

NYG wrote:Besides re-signing Pascal Siakam, what are the Pacers looking to do this off-season?

Jalen Smith may opt out and look for a chance to start elsewhere. We could elevate OT or sign a veteran backup center if he leaves.

McDermott might not be resigned. I expect Toppin will return.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:16 am

NYG wrote:Besides re-signing Pascal Siakam, what are the Pacers looking to do this off-season?

Signed players by greatest length of contract left

Tyrese Haliburton maxed out

Aaron Nesmith 3 years remaining
Ben Sheppard 3 years remaining
Jarace Walker 3 years remaining

Bennedict Mathurin 2 years remaining
Andrew Nembhard 2 years remaining

Myles Turner last year of contract
T.J. McConnell last year of contract
Isaiah Jackson last year of contract

Jalen Smith player option will become free agent

Pascal Siakam free agent
Obi Toppin free agent
Doug McDermott free agent
James Johnson free agent

Oscar Tshiebwe free agent
Kendall Brown free agent
Isaiah Wong free agent
Quenton Jackson free agent

Obviously we’re all set on youthful players who are currently being developed and the Pacers will be depending on them to continue their positive growth.

Next observation is that the Pacers are lacking in veterans with only Turner and McConnell coming back. Everyone else is under age 26.

Top priority is to lock up Siakam.

Next move will be to retain Jalen Smith if affordable. Next if Smith is gone will Isiah Jackson becomes the backup 5 and Oscar Tshiebwe promoted to the roster, a free agent center acquired, or a draft prospect is signed such as Edey.

Jackson is a thinner Myles Turner rim protector type so if Smith leaves a tall banger rebounder type must be gotten to matchup against the big centers we face.

After settling the Smith situation yea or neigh is to try and acquire another star player to join Tyrese and Pascal.

Next move is to see if Toppin will come back on a very team friendly contract as he fits the running style and still needs growth in his total game.

Next move is to get a floor spacing 3 point veteran shooting threat to space the floor as Buddy Hield did for Tyrese.

If no trades or free agents available then bring back Doug McDermott on a low paying veteran contract because of his ability to hit the 3 and space the floor.

I would keep Kendall Brown for cheap depth and likewise for Oscar Tshiebwe.

In summary ultimately our core including Siakam will be 10 players.

The Pacers can only bring in a total of 4 -5 new players if Smith, Toppin, McDermott, Kendall Brown, and Johnson are not signed. Otherwise trades of youth would have to take place and I don’t see that happening.

So in my mind we’re talking about just a couple of roster acquisitions as the upcoming unrestricted free agency class isn’t very strong.

My possible targets would be:

Tyrese Maxey is ranked # 1 HoopsHype FA
Pascal Siakam is ranked 4th best FA
OG Anunoby is ranked 5th best FA
Isiah Hartenstein is ranked 18th best FA
Grayson Allen is ranked 25th best FA
Kelly Olynyck is ranked 30th best FA
Obi Toppin is ranked 38th best FA
Jalen Smith is ranked 49 best FA
Doug McDermott is ranked 89th best FA

As you can see not much to choose from and Siakam is my definitive top choice and would love to pull Anunoby or Maxey into our team.

I’m not savy enough to figure out who the Pacers front office would trade away to get a restricted free agent in trade which might have to be the route they take to improve the roster.

None of the youth feels expendable as in the past. Our draft picks are 3 second round picks so not a good option after the Siakam and Hield trades.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#4 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:25 am

I think Kendall Brown is signed to a non-guaranteed contract. They elevated him from a two way.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 am

Wizop wrote:I think Kendall Brown is signed to a non-guaranteed contract. They elevated him from a two way.

Exactly and that’s why the website I used has no salary commitment other than the remainder of this year for Brown.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:45 pm

Watching the team play without Mathurin leaves me wondering about next year. I see this 10 man rotation assuming no Smth

Haliburton, McConnell
Nembhard, Sheppard
Nesmith, ???
Siakam, Toppin
Turner, Jackson

Is Mathurin a lock for the open spot or do we need someone taller? Is that Walker or Brown or is it a free agent or are we willing to shop Mathurin or Walker for a veteran with enough size to guard Brown, Butler, Wagner, etc.?

Or does Siakam play the SF either always or when matchups require a bigger defender?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:35 pm

I'd like to keep Toppin and use Walker as the backup 3. There has been zero Siakam at the 3 and don't think we should expect that

If there is really a need for another small forward Hayward is my darkhorse candidate. I don't love Mathurin at the 3 at his size.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:44 pm

boomershadow wrote:I'd like to keep Toppin and use Walker as the backup 3. There has been zero Siakam at the 3 and don't think we should expect that

If there is really a need for another small forward Hayward is my darkhorse candidate. I don't love Mathurin at the 3 at his size.

I tend to agree which leaves me wondering if we might trade Mathurin. he is our best wing at creating a shot for himself, but Sheppard is a better defender and also a better 3 point shooter. I think we'll learn a lot from how we fare in the playoffs.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:23 am

Any idea what kinda contract Obi is likely to get?
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 198

Post#10 » by BooomBaby » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:35 am

boomershadow wrote:Any idea what kinda contract Obi is likely to get?

Not really sure right now, because if he keeps on playing this way, and especially in the playoffs, be ready to give up a couple of players if we intend to keep him (and we most definitely should).
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:52 am

boomershadow wrote:Any idea what kinda contract Obi is likely to get?

Guessing similar to Nesmith.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 148

Post#12 » by JMaster5K » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:35 am

A small article from last October on the improvements that Stix & I-Jacks made prior to this season, (and, well,... also Theis, but don't have think about that any longer. ) =)

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2023/10/04/isaiah-jackson-daniel-theis-jalen-smith-fight-for-pacers-backup-job/71027384007/

I'd look for more of the same going into the coming year, regardless of their teams.

Agree,.. first order of business is resigning Pascal. Want to see how that contract is structured? It's worth noting that if we sign him for his max contract, our total cap will actually go down. His cap hold is at the super-max value for a player of his experience. Doesn't really affect much in terms of the cap, but it will give us more breathing space under the tax after he is signed.

After that,... generically, we have to get a good idea of the value of certain players to other teams versus their value to the Pacers. (I know that's a bit obvious and a cop out, but to me it's still the high-level question.) Stix? Toppin? Mathurin?

For most of our roster, I don't think we could replace what they bring specifically to our team, for what we already pay them. (kudo's to the front office.)

I think there are teams out there that will value each of the 3 above more highly than is warranted by their role on the Pacers. Thankfully, I don't see any teams (right now) that should want to sign Stix, that would have the outright cap space to make it happen. Toppin is an RFA. Benn is under contract. So, it's likely in all 3 cases that we can recoup something if they want to leave or have a better offer elsewhere.

I do think this coming off season will be really active. There will be a good number of high minute role players available. The draft picks for 2024 don't seem to be holding the same value as 2023, 2025, or 2026, making them much more movable. Don't think we will see that many all stars move, but it just feels like there will be a lot of teams doing consolidation trades & roster balancing this off season, when doing so isn't likely to have such a dramatic impact, if it doesn't go exactly right.

When that happens, it generally bring opportunities,... even just typing that,... in my mind, I can see Pritch & Buchanan smiling,.. LOL =]

(P.S.... Yes, I did type a LOT more than this the first time.... then thought better of it...) LOL =]
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#13 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:43 am

I guess the other side of this is,.... Who would you target as a potential Pacer for next year?.... You guys have any players you like?
Any young guys that would seem to fit for development? Older players to set a higher bar & hold a spot while young guys develop?...

I don't think everyone on the Pacers this year will be back on the Pacers next year. So, who might?..... o0
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:49 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Who would you target as a potential Pacer for next year?

is Walker a 3? if so, I think we're okay on the wing. if Toppin and Siakam return, we're okay at the 4. we might need to replace Smith but otherwise I'd just want to replace Doug and a veteran PG with 3 point range could be the need so TJ can play heavy minutes with the second unit. perhaps Elfrid Payton although there are lots of journeymen 1's.

if Walker isn't a 3, maybe the draft will give us a taller 3. if not maybe a taller free agent 3, but he wouldn't need to be starter quality.
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#15 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Who would you target as a potential Pacer for next year?

is Walker a 3? if so, I think we're okay on the wing. if Toppin and Siakam return, we're okay at the 4. we might need to replace Smith but otherwise I'd just want to replace Doug and a veteran PG with 3 point range could be the need so TJ can play heavy minutes with the second unit. perhaps Elfrid Payton although there are lots of journeymen 1's.

if Walker isn't a 3, maybe the draft will give us a taller 3. if not maybe a taller free agent 3, but he wouldn't need to be starter quality.

I'm still on the Walker is a 3 wagon. So, I agree. If,... just IF, he can claim the starting job, or full second unit minutes behind Nesmith, and we have Pascal & Ob1, Myles and I-jax,... I'm really OK with that. Having Stix would really be icing on the cake, but gotta believe we'll be ok. Besides,.. I hope he (Stix) does get a 'payday'. He's earned it. He took a contract with us last time as a FA, when he really didn't have to & had better offers out there. Can't expect him to do it again, but it would be nice to find that middle ground that is enough for him, and he stays with us. =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:56 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I'm still on the Walker is a 3 wagon. So, I agree. If,... just IF, he can claim the starting job, or full second unit minutes behind Nesmith, and we have Pascal & Ob1, Myles and I-jax,... I'm really OK with that.

I'm okay with much less than that. Ty and TJ are the 1's. Nembhard and Sheppard are the 2's. Nesmith starts at 3. if Walker gets full second unit minutes behind him, where is Mathurin?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#17 » by JMaster5K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:05 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I'm still on the Walker is a 3 wagon. So, I agree. If,... just IF, he can claim the starting job, or full second unit minutes behind Nesmith, and we have Pascal & Ob1, Myles and I-jax,... I'm really OK with that.

I'm okay with much less than that. Ty and TJ are the 1's. Nembhard and Sheppard are the 2's. Nesmith starts at 3. if Walker gets full second unit minutes behind him, where is Mathurin?

I can only guess that he is getting around the same minutes as Sheppard & Walker, at both the 2 and the 3,... but that would put all of them around 15 minutes a night, + or - a few on any given night based on matchups?
JMaster5K
Junior

Post#18 » by JMaster5K » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:09 am

JMaster5K wrote:
I Don't think we will see that many all stars move,

After taking a step back this week,... starting to think I'm completely wrong here. Think there will be a lot of roster balancing going on,... but, also:

NYK is playing exceptional ball without Randle?

MIN played top level ball without KAT, and their cap situation is about to get dire?

CAV contract situation with Donovan Mitchell is still up in the air & likely just holding ground won't be good enough?

ATL played really well without Trae, the mix with Trae & DeJounte doesn't seem to be working, either could move?

A couple of the rumor blogs have been saying that POR is not pleased with DeAndre's play & attitude, that they have been shopping him?

Ainge is still the GM with Utah,... so,... well,... anything is possible.... :D

I guess it is not only possible,.. but likely that somebody with all star talent gets moved at some point. :banghead:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#19 » by Tom White » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm

JMaster5K wrote:MIN played top level ball without KAT, and their cap situation is about to get dire?

That situation looks like a roster construction problem to me.

ATL played really well without Trae...

He always strikes me as a "look at me" type of ass.

A couple of the rumor blogs have been saying that POR is not pleased with DeAndre's play & attitude, that they have been shopping him?

Everyone and their brother were sending out warnings about him during his last FA period.

Ainge is still the GM with Utah,... so,... well,... anything is possible.... :D

We all get told from the time we are kids to not touch that hot stove. And yet people just can't help but reach out for it.

I guess it is not only possible,.. but likely that somebody with all star talent gets moved at some point.

And there are usually reasons for it. Not only financial ones.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:55 pm

I'm beginning to think we need a beefy backup center.

Return to Indiana Pacers