Only a real Pacers fan could answer this trivia question - November 20, 2004

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Only a real Pacers fan could answer this trivia question - November 20, 2004 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 pm

The Pacers hosted the Orlando Magic that day, led by Steve Francis, Grant Hill, and rookie Dwight Howard...

It was the day after the brawl, and the Pacers roster had been decimated by suspensions as well as preseason injuries. The Pacers only had six players available for their game against Orlando. Without looking it up,

Can you name the six players?

I was able to get five of them without looking, the sixth I had to double check on...

Let's just say we should all be thankful was have a considerably more competent NBA head office today than we did in 2004... Today's NBA most likely would not have made us play w/ only six players and likely would have postponed the game.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 158

Re: Only a real Pacers fan could answer this trivia question - November 20, 2004 

Post#2 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 pm

LOL - not me,.. I got 1. Pretty sure that 1 was just a lucky guess,..... =}
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Re: Only a real Pacers fan could answer this trivia question - November 20, 2004 

Post#3 » by HurricaneDij25 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm

One of them is the current GM of the Suns...
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 728

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:52 am

I would guess Croshere, Workman, and Gill. Only subs I can think of and too old to remember who played when.
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#5 » by HurricaneDij25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:00 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I would guess Croshere, Workman, and Gill. Only subs I can think of and too old to remember who played when.

You got two correct. This game needs a reunion or some sort of doc or something to ensure these six guys are honored IMO.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,455

Post#6 » by jowglenn » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 am

Ok I’ll take a shot

Fred Jones is the only one I’m sure of
Jonathan Edwards?
David Harrison?
Travis Best?
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#7 » by HurricaneDij25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 am

jowglenn wrote:Ok I’ll take a shot

Fred Jones is the only one I’m sure of
Jonathan Edwards?
David Harrison?
Travis Best?

You got two right... A third was the incorrect first name. Travis Best was part of the Artest trade in 2002, so he is incorrect.
dahntayJfanclub
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by dahntayJfanclub » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 am

Brings me back. I was thinking of Fred Jones, Croshere, Bender, and Sarunas.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,093

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 pm

Freddie, Eddie, Austin, James Jones, Harrison, and the Senator! (John Edwards)

I remember thinking hat Britton Johnson could have been something for us (I was terribly wrong!) and thinking Michael Curry was a waste (I was right!) :lol:
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#10 » by HurricaneDij25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 pm

dahntayJfanclub wrote:Brings me back. I was thinking of Fred Jones, Croshere, Bender, and Sarunas.

Got two. Bender was injured (as usual) and Sarunas was signed the summer after...
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#11 » by Ruaidri » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 pm

I believe Reggie was injured same as Bender and Pollard. If I am correct Brad Miller was traded for Pollard in the off-season. And Pollard was injured or got injured before the start of the season. Which made Carlisle to shift Artest to play PF at parts of the game and make space to play Jackson together with Reggie, who was initially brought in to replace Reggie.

So I think Croshere, Fred Jones, James Johnson, Eddie Gill and John Edwards.

Harrison is I think the sixth, but I thought he was also suspended. But who else would play center?

I remember that somehow we had six players, but they could field a team with relative normal positions.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,093

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

Ruaidri wrote:
Harrison is I think the sixth, but I thought he was also suspended. But who else would play center?

I remember that somehow we had six players, but they could field a team with relative normal positions.

Harrison was suspended (5games, I think?), but because of the extreme circumstances, the Pacers were allowed to hold off on his suspension until they could sign emergency players to have 6 active.
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#13 » by HurricaneDij25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Ruaidri wrote:

Harrison was suspended (5games, I think?), but because of the extreme circumstances, the Pacers were allowed to hold off on his suspension until they could sign emergency players to have 6 active.

Harrison did not get suspended. He did face charges, though, which is why I had to double check on him... The other five I was able to get without looking.

Anthony Johnson, who was in street clothes and one of our several preseason injuries, got five games by the league.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:The Pacers hosted the Orlando Magic that day, led by Steve Francis, Grant Hill, and rookie Dwight Howard...

It was the day after the brawl, and the Pacers roster had been decimated by suspensions as well as preseason injuries. The Pacers only had six players available for their game against Orlando. Without looking it up,

I was able to get five of them without looking, the sixth I had to double check on...

Let's just say we should all be thankful was have a considerably more competent NBA head office today than we did in 2004... Today's NBA most likely would not have made us play w/ only six players and likely would have postponed the game.

Reggie Miller
Jonathon Bender
Austin Croshere
Fred Jones
Jeff Foster
I don't know for sure James Jones? or Dale Davis? It's only been 20 yrs ago.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#15 » by granger05 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 pm

My first two guesses were correct ones, but then I went zero for three on subsequent guesses and gave up on a sixth. I feel like I could have gotten two more with enough time, but the other two were not names that stuck with me and they played a combined 140ish games for the Pacers (and less than 1500 total minutes).

Edit to add that my other three guesses were all on the team, but one of them doesn't even appear in the box score as he didn't play until later in the season and the other two were not suspended but did not dress I assume due to injury.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#16 » by granger05 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:11 pm

LINK TO THE GAME for whenever people want to peek. We only lost by 3.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,085

Post#17 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm

I was there but my memory for names has faded.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,335

Post#18 » by Luv those Knicks » Yesterday 5:41 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:The Pacers hosted the Orlando Magic that day, led by Steve Francis, Grant Hill, and rookie Dwight Howard...

I thought the NBA had a rule that 8 players rule in place by that time, but the box score checks out. 12 players on the roster, 3 didn't dress, 3 suspended, 6 played.

In the 1997 playoffs, when 5 knicks were suspended for running onto the court, that time PJ Brown flipped Charlie Ward. (Ward tried to tie up PJ's legs on the FT line, which he really shouldn't have done), but anyway, the league staggered those suspensions, so the Knicks had 8 players for the first game, 9 for the second. I guess they couldn't do that with Artest, who was suspended for the full season, and they could have, but didn't want to do it with the other suspended players.

I think that rule was already in place, but I guess the league was so mad about the "malice" that they didn't honor it.

and . . . good luck against us in the playoffs. I'm rooting for a Knicks win, ofcourse, but I don't dislike Indiana the way I dislike Philly. Looks like a good match-up.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
JMaster5K
Junior
And1: 158

Post#19 » by JMaster5K » Yesterday 11:26 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:

I thought the NBA had a rule that 8 players rule in place by that time, but the box score checks out. 12 players on the roster, 3 didn't dress, 3 suspended, 6 played.

In the 1997 playoffs, when 5 knicks were suspended for running onto the court, that time PJ Brown flipped Charlie Ward. (Ward tried to tie up PJ's legs on the FT line, which he really shouldn't have done), but anyway, the league staggered those suspensions, so the Knicks had 8 players for the first game, 9 for the second. I guess they couldn't do that with Artest, who was suspended for the full season, and they could have, but didn't want to do it with the other suspended players.

I think that rule was already in place, but I guess the league was so mad about the "malice" that they didn't honor it.

and . . . good luck against us in the playoffs. I'm rooting for a Knicks win, ofcourse, but I don't dislike Indiana the way I dislike Philly. Looks like a good match-up.

Good Luck back at ya! Really respect what the Knicks have built & how they play. Gonna be a fun series. :D Gonna root for whoever wins this one to take the East! LOL :D
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,335

Post#20 » by Luv those Knicks » Today 1:21 am

JMaster5K wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

Good Luck back at ya! Really respect what the Knicks have built & how they play. Gonna be a fun series. :D Gonna root for whoever wins this one to take the East! LOL :D

Thanks for the kind words. I'm so happy that the Philly series ended our way, and I feel, at this point, I can relax and take whatever comes.

Maybe this series will get heated too - you never know, but as a fan, I feel like I can watch and enjoy at this point. Most Knickfans don't expect NY to make it to the finals. Not this year. Maybe next year, so whatever happens the rest of the way this year is gravy.

- -

I hadn't thought about the next round. That would be Boston most likely, so, yes. I'll be rooting for your team if that matchup happens as well.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.

Return to Indiana Pacers