Best Players of 2014

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

IndyDave02
Freshman
And1: 0

Best Players of 2014 

Post#1 » by IndyDave02 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 pm

I found this Top 10 list of the Players who should be the top 10 players five years from now. I thought it would be an interesting topic this summer while we wait for more regular Pacer news:
(Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2340 ... -and-teams)

Top 10 Players in 2014
LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Danny Granger
Brandon Roy
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Deron Williams

I like seeing Granger get some respect as #6 on the list, as frivolous as it may be.

GO PACERS!
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach
And1: 538

Re: Best Players of 2014 

Post#2 » by Bleeding Blue » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 pm

The majority of those players are top 10 now
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#3 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:27 am

Bleeding Blue wrote:The majority of those players are top 10 now

Pretty much.

I love the fact that the writer is showing love to Danny and Brandon Roy (my favorite player not on the Pacers), but I'd say every one of those guys could be heavily argued as being top 10 right now, with the exception of maybe Chris Bosh.

The fact that the writer doesn't have Dywane Wade on that list is a bit mind boggling though. He's probably top 5 in the league at worst right now, and seems to be getting better. Yet somehow he's going to just fall out of the top 10 in 5 years?
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#4 » by Miller4ever » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:23 am

He will be 33 or something like that during the 2014-15 season. Out of the triumvirate of LeBron and Melo, he's the oldest, and he's priming now. Plus, his style of play + injuries might slow him down later. He'll still be really good but nothing like the player he is now.

I'm irate that this list doesn't account for developing superstars now, or people drafted after this season. There are sleepers like Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Russell Westbrook, Tyler Hansbrough (not really), Greg Oden, Mike Conley, etc. Basically, this list is the best players under 28 right now. If you look at a list like this from 2004, it'd be hilariously different. LeBron, Melo, and Wade might be picks right now, but Jermaine O'Neal would be on there, and Yao Ming (he's really good, I really like him, but he's broken), and Amare Stoudamire (good for right now, but he's still not top 10), Mike Dunleavy, Jason Richardson, AK-47...the list goes on, and since then sleeper players have come out from there, and some older players have not let go of their titles.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#5 » by count55 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Irate?

I'm trying to figure out which is a bigger waste of time: the exercise itself, or getting irate over it.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:00 pm

count55 wrote:Irate?

I'm trying to figure out which is a bigger waste of time: the exercise itself, or getting irate over it.

Exactly.

It's a goofy list made up by some website that most people haven't even heard of. No need to put any real weight behind the list, or to get mad about it.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that Paul Millsap or Mike Conley Jr. will be lucky to be top 25 in the league at any point in their careers. If either of them are ever considered a top 10 player in the league, I will beyond shocked.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,543

Post#7 » by Boneman2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Kobe- KG- Dirk- Duncan- Wade & maybe Amare( Amare>Bosh) are top-ten right now, so that list isn't a current top-ten like most of you think. In five years I bet that list is quite different.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Kobe- KG- Dirk- Duncan- Wade & maybe Amare( Amare>Bosh) are top-ten right now, so that list isn't a current top-ten like most of you think. In five years I bet that list is quite different.

I disagree. Kobe & Wade? Yes. Dirk? Maybe. But if you're talking pure talent, I would say KG is top 15 at best right now. He's not the same player he was before he got to Boston. Amare, if he's healthy could be top 10, but that's a big if.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Somewhere in Europe, Stanko Barac is irate about being left off the list.

Soon he will begin quietly plotting revenge.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#10 » by Miller4ever » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Irritated was the word I was looking for. It was late when I posted that. Lists like these are just annoying to me. If I got mad every time somebody predicted the future poorly, I'd have to be committed to an institution.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:Somewhere in Europe, Stanko Barac is irate about being left off the list.

Soon he will begin quietly plotting revenge.

:lol:
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#12 » by Gremz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Seems a fairly ridiculous idea to me. a lot can happen in 5 years, why throw out a list when there are so many draftees in the meantime? Are we to assume that the next 4 drafts are all talentless? If Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose can have such an impact in their 2 and 1 seasons respectively, why can't the top 5 prospects in 2012 share the same notion?

Leaving DWade off the list is also confusing here. Granted his injury history and style of play could warrant some concern, that still isn't enough reason for him to be off that list. He's a freakin' Finals MVP, and the only one of the touted 2003 crop to have a ring right now. Increased his defensive prowess last season also.
penzias
Senior

Post#13 » by penzias » Wed Sep 2, 2009 2:40 pm

LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
OJ Mayo
Ricky Rubio
Jonas Valanciunas (mark my words :wink: )
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by old rem » Sat Sep 5, 2009 8:49 am

penzias wrote:LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
OJ Mayo
Ricky Rubio
Jonas Valanciunas (mark my words :wink: )

I suspect by 2014 Wade is a bit past his prime. Not sure Oden is THIS good if he is healthy but big PF's have more "role" now than C's so Bosh,Al Jefferson,Blake Griffin,Anthony Randolph are candidates..probably Amare if his knees are sound. I'd say Deron Williams is apt to make the top bunch. While Wade's gonna be showing some age,Iguodala and Granger will be in their prime.There will be some sleepers. PG's DJ Augustin and Johnny Flynn could surprise,and if Monta Ellis transforms well to PG...look out. Bynum has nice potential if he can stay healthy. Josh Smith may have peaked..or not. Kevin Love? He needs to lose a few pounds but has talent.

Hansborough? Won't crack a top 10 but will be better than most folks expected. Very well rounded.
CENSORED... No comment.
cdash
Analyst

Post#15 » by cdash » Sat Sep 5, 2009 10:19 pm

This is stupid. John Wall, or any numbers of guys currently in high school could very possibly be on a list such as this.

Return to Indiana Pacers