ImageImageImageImageImage

Jets Trade For Percy Harvin

Moderator: Rich Rane

Lolo
Sixth Man
And1: 661

Re: OT: Percy Harvin is now a Jet. What the f**k? 

Post#61 » by Lolo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:34 pm

CU_NY09 wrote:Look at Seattle leaking negative info to the media about Percy…

They have to save face for dropping 4 draft picks on him, giving him that big contract and then giving him away for a pack of gum...
CoreyATL
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Jets Trade For Percy Harvin 

Post#62 » by CoreyATL » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:46 pm

I hear that Harvin has a lot of anger issues and he wasn't gelling with the team in Seattle. Just wait til Rex gets ahold of him... Someone compared the Seahawks trading him away for a box of Wheat Thins. hehe
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#63 » by Fat Kat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Jets give up 6th round pick for Harvin.

That makes this a great trade. Oh yeah!

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
YouthMovement
General Manager
And1: 4,758

Post#64 » by YouthMovement » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Shemy wrote:SOJ

move reeks of so much desperation, if youre so worried about weapons for Geno why not just tank the season and get a legit prospect like Cooper in the draft or why not trade for Jackson this past offseason, and head into next season with the likes of Cooper, Decker, and Kerley (assuming you resign him doubt that happens now though)

this idzik hire :lol: shouldve gone with someone who can work the draft especially seeing as the team had what was it 14? picks

hows the cap situation going to look like for next year? any notable free agents to look at in the secondary?

as I understand Harvin will take up about half the cap space we got this year along with next season?

They're still in tank mode. This season is over, thanks to the schedule. This won't screw up their draft positioning lol. Just adding a 26 year old playmaker to a team with no ballers and a receiving core full of wr3s that can't get open.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#65 » by DowNY » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:56 pm

No risk in the trade. I like it. Unguaranteed contract for the next 4 yrs. So if he sucks, he's cut. He he excels, then he gets a cap friendly restructure. All for a 6th, at most a 4th.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#66 » by vallen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:09 pm

CoreyATL wrote:I hear that Harvin has a lot of anger issues and he wasn't gelling with the team in Seattle. Just wait til Rex gets ahold of him... Someone compared the Seahawks trading him away for a box of Wheat Thins. hehe

i hear Seattle is using "anger issues" as an excuse to smooth over fans...they need to save money, and they coughed up a lot of picks to get him. they gave him away for peanuts just to save bread. fans, nor Lynch are happy.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,691

Post#67 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Jets give up 6th round pick for Harvin.

That makes this a great trade. Oh yeah!

Not so quick. There's a reason. My college roommate works for the Seahawks. Here's what he had to say about Harvin:

The usual words fit, cancer, poison, personality disorder...
Free Palestine
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#68 » by JBreezeNY » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:23 pm

greenhughes wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Y'all not looking at the bigger picture.

This season is over, yes.

But next season is when the fun begins.

Our potential WR lineup will have Percy Harvin, Eric Decker & Amari Cooper. Even with Geno as a whatever QB those are some pretty decent options. After that we go after our secondary, O-line & our running game. We might even go after a QB next year. I'm still not a fan of Izdik but after Rex is gone finally we can focus on the offense.

...and then our defense will suck.

Rex is covering our defense and U.O.E.N.O.

Our defense is already ass, we need to make offense focus #1. I love Rex but he hasn't developed any offensive players in his entire stay here.

rammagen wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Y'all not looking at the bigger picture.

This season is over, yes.

But next season is when the fun begins.

Our potential WR lineup will have Percy Harvin, Eric Decker & Amari Cooper. Even with Geno as a whatever QB those are some pretty decent options. After that we go after our secondary, O-line & our running game. We might even go after a QB next year. I'm still not a fan of Izdik but after Rex is gone finally we can focus on the offense.

Oline then db then lb
need oline help more the dbs they have McDougal and Milner both injuried so even if one can play all season they can sign a journeyman that will show up and be better

It can either be O-line help or a WR but like I said to Greenie the offense needs to come first.

You can fix the defense while you're getting weapons, it's not like we have to go WR, WR, WR, WR THEN get a DB. That's why you have trades, FA signings, drafts because you can get about 3 or 4 needs in one session.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,538

Post#69 » by Guano » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:41 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:What does this do for Russell Wilson's fantasy value? That's all I care about.

Nothing to worry about, Rusty's numbers shouldn't take a hit. With this trade it should mean more burn for the gritty Brian Walters. :nonono:

The Hawks WR corps was bad before this trade. They have Ricardo Lockette (undrafted), Doug Baldwin (undrafted), Jermaine Kearse (undrafted), Brian Walters (undrafted), and two rooks who have 1 catch for 7 yards between them.

Big excuse for Percy's down numbers is the way the Hawks were using him. They were runnning the Oregon offense. Way too many bubble screens, and jet sweeps. Line is terrible at pass blocking, so it has been hard to develop the intermediate passing game.

The Jets picked up a generational talent, who seems to have major issues. No other reason two teams have given up on him. Hurts that knowing the Hawks could have C. Patterson right now. That was an expensive Super Bowl kick return. But it was damn worth it.

Enjoy the new toy... just not this year. I want a great pick.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#70 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Guano wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:What does this do for Russell Wilson's fantasy value? That's all I care about.

Nothing to worry about, Rusty's numbers shouldn't take a hit. With this trade it should mean more burn for the gritty Brian Walters. :nonono:

The Hawks WR corps was bad before this trade. They have Ricardo Lockette (undrafted), Doug Baldwin (undrafted), Jermaine Kearse (undrafted), Brian Walters (undrafted), and two rooks who have 1 catch for 7 yards between them.

Big excuse for Percy's down numbers is the way the Hawks were using him. They were runnning the Oregon offense. Way too many bubble screens, and jet sweeps. Line is terrible at pass blocking, so it has been hard to develop the intermediate passing game.

The Jets picked up a generational talent, who seems to have major issues. No other reason two teams have given up on him. Hurts that knowing the Hawks could have C. Patterson right now. That was an expensive Super Bowl kick return. But it was damn worth it.

Great pick? Even if we had the no. 1 pick in the draft, are you confident that Idzik won't blow it?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#71 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:25 pm

The 6th turns into a 4th if Harvin is on the team in 2015.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/523568282486706176[/tweet]
Free Palestine
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#72 » by Pharmcat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:57 am

jets need a new GM

forget the rumored anger issues, this guy has hip issues and cant consistently stay on the field.

this move is too late for this season
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#73 » by Pharmcat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:58 pm

espn saying harvin would've been cut if no trade

sounds like jets just made their andrea bargnani trade
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#74 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:31 am

Shemy wrote:SOJ

move reeks of so much desperation, if youre so worried about weapons for Geno why not just tank the season and get a legit prospect like Cooper in the draft or why not trade for Jackson this past offseason, and head into next season with the likes of Cooper, Decker, and Kerley (assuming you resign him doubt that happens now though)

this idzik hire :lol: shouldve gone with someone who can work the draft especially seeing as the team had what was it 14? picks

hows the cap situation going to look like for next year? any notable free agents to look at in the secondary?

as I understand Harvin will take up about half the cap space we got this year along with next season?

Because without weapons to work with, you stunt Geno's growth more than it has already been stunted. He doesn't learn anything or gain any chemistry if there is only one reliable target on the field and he's running for his life the whole time because no one else can gain seperation... Also, Harvin is unguaranteed after this season so they can cut him with no implications in the offseason. You need to know by year 3 whether your QB is any good or not or else you can set the franchise back years and years. Right now all you can say is incomplete because of the consistent lack of talent around him. Also one thing I've noticed going unmentioned about this trade is one of Geno's biggest strengths coming into the draft was his arm strength and he just acquired his first true deep threat. I'll be interested to see if Marty trusts Geno and Harvin enough to "let it fly" 3-5 times a game from here on out.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#75 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:34 am

Pharmcat wrote:espn saying harvin would've been cut if no trade

Are you seriously comparing a 4th or 6th round pick in the NFL Draft to the lot the Knicks gave up for Bargs? That's delusion at its finest....
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#76 » by moocow007 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 pm

three2theD wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Bleh...not a real fan of this move. Harvin is injury prone (hip problems being his biggest health concern) and he's nothing but a no.2 receiver. His contract is huge and he has a reputation for not being the sharpest tool in the shed. Yes, if he's healthy he's probably better than any of the Jets other receivers not named Decker but chances are he'll be injured before the season ends. Not exactly a smart way to spend especially with the season all but over with.

Harvin is better than decker

As a WR? Based on what? Yards for season? Yards per catch? Yards per game? None of those are better than what Decker has managed. Harvin is exciting yes, but he's also injury prone...bad hip...not a good thing for someone that needs to rely on his speed to get to the spot to catch the ball and...more importantly...being able to avoid defenders after the catch and gain additional yards. With his fragile state, he's also not likely to be much in the return or running game which is what he's good at for a WR.

And then there's now the apparently inability to play well with others (i.e. his teammates) which has to be factored into how "good" a player is shouldn't it?

By no means is Decker a great no.1 option but Harvin isn't either. Both guys are no.2 guys IF they are healthy and Harvin hasn't been healthy in 2.5 years.

Sure they didn't appear to give a lot for him, but reports coming out now are that the Seahawks would have cut Harvin if they couldn't find a taker in a trade...that's how bad they didn't want him on the team. I repeat..."they would have cut him".

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11727 ... e-seahawks

Kinda like Bargnani would have been cut (bought out) by the Raptors had they not been able to find someone to give them something (like a future draft pick) for him.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#77 » by moocow007 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Are you seriously comparing a 4th or 6th round pick in the NFL Draft to the lot the Knicks gave up for Bargs? That's delusion at its finest....

In the NFL, 4th round picks are expected to be big contributors in a teams roster. This is not like a 2nd round pick in the NBA. Heck even a 6th round pick is valuable. And then there's the contract that they've now inherited.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#78 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

In the NFL, 4th round picks are expected to be big contributors in a teams roster. This is not like a 2nd round pick in the NBA. Heck even a 6th round pick is valuable. And then there's the contract that they've now inherited.

The jets AT WORST give up a 4th round pick. As a point of reference the Jets cut the 4th rounder they drafted this year. Can they be useful? Yes but, more often than not they are journeymen especially 4th round picks that are skill position players. The Knicks gave up a first, a valuable role player and a useful trade chip contract. Plus his contract is unguaranteed after this year so they can cut him with no consequences if he doesn't produce. Meanwhile, Bargs was locked in for two years!!! And 10 million this year means nothing to a major market team who is 20 million under the cap. You're comparing apples to oranges right now.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,538

Post#79 » by Guano » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:

Great pick? Even if we had the no. 1 pick in the draft, are you confident that Idzik won't blow it?

I live in Seattle. I'm a Hawks fan.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#80 » by rammagen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Hey moo dont tell idzick because he already cut a 4th from this yrs draft and 5th,6th and 7th to boot
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”

Return to New York Jets