ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason 2015 (Latest: Geno Smith Out 6-10 Weeks)

Moderator: Rich Rane

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,174

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest: Idzik, Rex Fired) 

Post#41 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 5:44 pm

j4remi wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
idzik was in way over his head . he is a cap guy not a talent evaluator/gm

2 of his signings turned out to be flops before season started: that goodwin rb who got arrested, the CB who didnt even bother to show up to the games

the draft with the best WR ever he misses on all of them despite having 12 total picks

he totally missed the CB position considering Ryan needs strong CB to run his schemes

Yeah it's nuts, took three WR's and whiffed on 'em all. The MacDougal pick might still work out but I don't have much faith at all. The Harvin trade looked good to me until I heard about the cap implications. He couldn't sign Rodgers-Cromartie, let Cromartie walk and never took a second look at Revis...imagine our defense with Revis in place, it would have made a big difference. Having an overload of Strong Safety's and no true FS was just dumb.

Then you get the Giacomini head scratcher and take a look at the state of our O-line...this dude really made some odd decisions. Even drafting Pryor was a head scratcher and I like the kid and his potential but when you have the many needs we did...it's a weird pick to throw at a non-need.

Using a baseball analogy, Idzik basically when 0 for 7 with 4 strikeouts and hitting into 3 double plays. It wan't just that he couldn't do diddly in the draft, he had 12 picks (5 more picks than most teams) and whiffed on pretty much all of them. Then he sat around slowly low balling or ignoring free agents that might of helped thinking somehow that they would come begging? and got left holding his own flaccid pecker in his hands.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,626

Post#42 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jan 7, 2015 8:29 pm

The thing that really pissed me off about Idzik eventually wasn't the conservative approach to FA's; I thought that was reasonable. Don't over commit or overpay. What killed me is in a deep Wide Receiver draft, with 12 picks, he didn't/couldn't package some of the picks to move up and draft one of the sure thing WR's like Lee, Evans..or of course Beckham.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:47 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:The thing that really pissed me off about Idzik eventually wasn't the conservative approach to FA's; I thought that was reasonable. Don't over commit or overpay. What killed me is in a deep Wide Receiver draft, with 12 picks, he didn't/couldn't package some of the picks to move up and draft one of the sure thing WR's like Lee, Evans..or of course Beckham.

Oh it was a huge screw-up not being able to find 1 WR with 12 picks...especially when you consider many believe that this past draft's WR corps will challenge the 1996 WR class in terms of best drafts for WR's in recent memory. The 1996 WR class included Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Eric Moulds, etc.

When I think Idzik these are the two things that pops to mind...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18WiitofZQ[/youtube]

...kinda even looks like Idzik.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLYrH4w9Co[/youtube]
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,578

Post#44 » by j4remi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 pm

He's not bad...not an exciting name but he didn't do a bad job.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/should-mike ... =yahoo_itp

Edit: Move is official...not bad.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest: Mike Maccagnan as GM, Dan Quinn as HC?) 

Post#45 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:05 pm

Well the good thing is that he can't possibly be any worse than Idzik at the draft.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#46 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:Well the good thing is that he can't possibly be any worse than Idzik at the draft.

Any Rex players that seem possible for trades? He loves his guys and maybe we can sell high on Dawan Landry or Antonio Allen or something...
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest:Mike Maccagnan as GM, Todd Bowles as HC) 

Post#47 » by zilby » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 am

Todd Bowles hired to be the head coach per sources. 4-year deal. For those who don't know, his most recent job was defensive coordinator for Arizona who had 8th-ranked defense this year.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest: Mike Maccagnan as GM, Todd Bowles as HC) 

Post#48 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 am

I was hoping for Quinn but you really could go either, or. They're both gonna be good coaches.

I hope we bring in Kyle Shanahan but Gailey as much as I don't want him I'm hearing that he's actually a pretty good OC compared to his stint as a head coach.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,626

Post#49 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:35 am

I wanted Quinn, but had concern he was a product of Carroll, sort of a system guy. Doesn't mean he won't be a great head coach or not, but that's really Carroll's show over there, much like Belechik is with the Pats.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#50 » by Born_Ready » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Vikings fan here (BK Nets fan) so I follow the Jets a little too. I like to root for them in the AFC.

Anyway, last year when the Vikings were searching for their head coach, there were 2 coaches that sparked my interest. Mike Zimmer and Todd Bowles. While Zimmer had a long resume, I liked Bowles because of his disciplinary approach. Discipline was one of the many things the Vikings lacked. Everything I heard and read about Bowles is how his players respect him. I think he is walking into a decent situation with the Jets. As much fans dislike Rex, I think there is some structure for Bowles to build on. Bowles will find his type of players and start a foundation of high quality players on both sides of the ball. Hopefully he puts together a good staff and bring the Jets back to respectability.

Not that my opinion matters much--but I think this is an underrated hire for the Jets organization. I think they got it right with Bowles. I'm anxious to see his implementation of schemes and tactics going forward.

Good luck fans..brighter days are ahead!
OKC Thunder fan, too.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:43 pm

j4remi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Well the good thing is that he can't possibly be any worse than Idzik at the draft.

Any Rex players that seem possible for trades? He loves his guys and maybe we can sell high on Dawan Landry or Antonio Allen or something...

Any chance Idzik will be signed to run some other teams front office so we can trade half the team (the bad half) to him?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:47 pm

We'll we'll get a chance to see what type of GM Maccagnan is soon. Thanks to the Jets inability to tank correctly, they'll pretty much miss out on the top guys that could more readily fill their most glaring needs (Mariotta, Cooper, Williams, Winston, etc.). Hopefully Maccagnan can find another JJ Watt (taken 11th overall based on recommendation by Maccagnan and currently the best defensive player in the NFL).
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#53 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Kiper has the Jets picking another DE at which point I wonder...are there really no OT's worth a reach and if not, who would be willing to trade up and give us some more picks to work with?
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:08 pm

j4remi wrote:Kiper has the Jets picking another DE at which point I wonder...are there really no OT's worth a reach and if not, who would be willing to trade up and give us some more picks to work with?

Which one? Gregory or Shane Ray. If Ray, he is pretty darn impressive.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#55 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:13 pm

moocow007 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Kiper has the Jets picking another DE at which point I wonder...are there really no OT's worth a reach and if not, who would be willing to trade up and give us some more picks to work with?

It's Ray. But I don't see how he fits the 3-4 where size matters. I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around another DL piece when I think we have serious needs elsewhere.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:21 pm

j4remi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

It's Ray. But I don't see how he fits the 3-4 where size matters. I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around another DL piece when I think we have serious needs elsewhere.

Is Bowles known for playing the 3-4?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:
j4remi wrote:It's Ray. But I don't see how he fits the 3-4 where size matters. I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around another DL piece when I think we have serious needs elsewhere.

Is Bowles known for playing the 3-4?

He didn't run the 4-3 well in Philly but everyone says he's flexible and creative so maybe he could make it work. I'm still not happy using another first rounder on D-line in such short order unless it's an absolute can't miss LB.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 716

Post#58 » by Barcs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Pharmcat wrote:idzik was in way over his head . he is a cap guy not a talent evaluator/gm

2 of his signings turned out to be flops before season started: that goodwin rb who got arrested, the CB who didnt even bother to show up to the games

the draft with the best WR ever he misses on all of them despite having 12 total picks

he totally missed the CB position considering Ryan needs strong CB to run his schemes

I agree for the most part. But, let's face it, the Jets weren't going to contend this year regardless without a good QB, bottom line. Some of the problems were exemplified by bad luck. Nobody expected Goodson to get arrested after passing out in the middle of route 80 with weed and guns in the car and being drunk. Nobody expected Patterson to have a melt down, or both Dee and Dexter getting injured for the year, along with our new WRs. You can't predict everything, although not taking an early receiver was pretty dumb, as was not attempting to sign Cro for cheap, and low balling Rodgers-Cromartie when he visited. Decker was a good signing, and Amaro was a good pick. The rest are still young and need to develop. I still think they should have given Idzik and Rex another year. Now once again, all the other AFC east teams get better as the Jets get worse.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 716

Post#59 » by Barcs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:19 pm

moocow007 wrote:Using a baseball analogy, Idzik basically when 0 for 7 with 4 strikeouts and hitting into 3 double plays. It wan't just that he couldn't do diddly in the draft, he had 12 picks (5 more picks than most teams) and whiffed on pretty much all of them. Then he sat around slowly low balling or ignoring free agents that might of helped thinking somehow that they would come begging? and got left holding his own flaccid pecker in his hands.

I don't agree with your analogy in the least. Pryor will be fine when he plays back in his natural position on a secondary that isn't swiss cheese at corner. Amaro will be a solid contributor down the line. For McDougle, it's way too early to judge. In fact, judging a draft class 1 season after the fact is pretty ridiculous. You have to at least give it 3 years. Enunwa could become a stud. Too much is up in the air to say he whiffed. With the cap money saved and the early draft pick this year (along with the fact that the Jets are better than their record), we have a serious chance to turn it around big time. This is why I think Woody is an idiot for not at least allowing them to stay for this important turn around year. The Jets will improve no matter what this year, but there is also quite a bit of youth.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Elias20
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#60 » by Elias20 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 2:48 pm

The scary part is that no one in the media has bad mouthed the jets, not even Mannish Mehta. Isn't that eery. I think the Jets finally have it right and have selected a good GM/HC combo. After watching the Superbowl, i am glad we passed on Quinn. To have that secondary, by far the best in the league, and not once send a blitz to rattle brady is a shame. Seattle, including Quinn were outcoached by Belichick. We have the right guy in BOWLES
Die hard NY Jets fan? Check out: http://nyjetsfanatics.com/forum.php

Return to New York Jets