Around the NFL

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Re: Around the NFL 

Post#101 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Browns signed RB Kareem Hunt, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year contract.
Hunt was always going to get a second chance, but it is stunning that the Browns have taken the plunge before his suspension was even announced. He will remain on the commissioner's exempt list until official punishment is handed down. Browns GM John Dorsey is one of the people responsible for drafting Hunt in Kansas City, so it is not surprising he is the one to make the move. It is surprising in that rookie second-rounder Nick Chubb was one of the best backs in the league last season, while the Browns made a big financial commitment to pass-catching back Duke Johnson last summer. Hunt will spend a good chunk of 2019 on the reserve/suspended list before heading to restricted free agency in the 2020 offseason.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#102 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports "all indications" are the Steelers plan to use the transition tag on free agent Le'Veon Bell.

Yikes. The first day the Steelers can apply the tag is next Tuesday. It is an almost stunning level of pettiness, but within the Steelers' rights via the collective bargaining agreement. Per reporter Gerry Dulac, under no circumstance would the Steelers consider actually keeping Bell. The scheme would also require Bell signing the tag. The Steelers' endgame would be: Getting Bell to sign the tag, matching an offer sheet from another team, and then trading Bell for compensation. It promises to be an acrimonious end to an exceedingly bitter feud.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#103 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 am

• The Chiefs claiming veteran LB Terrell Suggs off waivers makes sense on a few levels. First, the team just lost DE Alex Okafor, who played 80% of the team’s defensive snaps against New England last week, to a torn pec. Second, defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo coached Suggs as a Ravens assistant in 2013 and ’14. And third, as the No. 26 team in the waiver order, Kansas City knew by claiming him, and the $353,000 left on his contract, they’d block him from going back to Baltimore or to New England, which brings value, even if he refuses to report.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#104 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:20 am

Jarvis Landry reportedly among multiple Browns players who yelled 'come get me' to Cardinals

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jarvis-landry-reportedly-among-multiple-browns-players-who-yelled-come-get-me-to-cardinals/amp/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#105 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm

The AB show continues.

Hollywood, Fla. police have issued an arrest warrant for free agent Antonio Brown on felony burglary and battery charges.

It relates to a Tuesday incident outside of AB's house where a moving truck driver claims he was assaulted by Brown and his trainer, Glenn Holt. Holt was already arrested and posted $20,000 bond. Police have allegedly tried to contact AB multiple times, but he instead retreated inside his residence, barricading himself behind locked doors. Brown allegedly pelted the driver with a rock before then forcing his way into the truck, striking the individual, and then taking the items off the truck. Brown has been a major off-field headcase who is unlikely to ever play another NFL snap. He turns 32 in July.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 22, 2020, 9:28 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#106 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:09 am

Contract-year CB Quinton Dunbar has requested the Redskins release or trade him.

Entering the final year of his deal, Dunbar is coming off a breakout season that saw him grade out as Pro Football Focus' No. 4 cover corner out of 128 qualifiers. He had contract talks with the previous regime, but those talks have apparently stalled with the new group in D.C. "I don't know them, and they don't know me," Dunbar said. Dunbar is currently scheduled to pull in just a $3.25 million salary in 2020 and wants to be paid like a top corner. The secondary is an extreme weak spot for the Redskins already, so getting rid of Dunbar won't be easy. Dunbar will reportedly play for the Skins if his request isn't met, so this doesn't appear to be at a nasty stage of development. Dunbar turns 28 this summer.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 10, 2020, 7:43 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#107 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 am

Steve Bartkowski: Joe Burrow should 'pull an Eli Manning' to avoid Cincinnati Bengals

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/4791828002

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#108 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Buccaneers are going "all in" on Tom Brady in free agency.

"This is not hype," Stroud, a trusted Bucs insider, wrote. "It’s hope. This is fact, not fantasy. This is the plan. This is the Bucs’ play." Coach Bruce Arians and GM Jason Licht had no issues lamenting on Tampa Bay's ongoing situation under center at the Combine, making it clear 26-year-old impending free agent Jameis Winston was their backup plan to a number of vets that could potentially hit the market. Time will tell whether Brady will listen, but Stroud adds the organization "will try not to take no for an answer" as "it’s hard to imagine any team outbidding [the Glazer family]." The Chargers have also been linked to Brady since he just recently launched a Hollywood production company in Los Angeles.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times on Twitter

Mar 11, 2020, 3:08 PM ET

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#109 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:36 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#110 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 pm

NBC Sports' Chris Simms reports free agent Tom Brady is down to the Patriots and Buccaneers.

Simms also reports Brady's top choice was the 49ers, but they've dropped out of the Brady sweepstakes and are focusing on Jimmy Garoppolo as their franchise quarterback. With Ryan Tannehill securing a long-term deal with the Titans, Brady's options are dwindling. This report suggests Brady will be choosing between staying home on an average deal or moving down to Florida on a more lucrative deal to pair up with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Simms ultimately predicts Brady to stay with the Patriots, but this isn't settled yet. In fact, we can't even rule out a wild card team making a last-second push. Time is ticking for Brady to find what's best for his last couple of NFL seasons.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Mar 15, 2020, 3:26 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#111 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 am

Speaking in a Thursday radio interview, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said the team would not be signing free agent Antonio Brown. 

It's something Tom Brady has been stumping for, but it never made sense in any context. “There’s no room and probably not enough money," Arians said. "It’s just not going to happen here. It’s not a fit here.” Arians overlapped with Brown for two years in Pittsburgh and was reportedly not a fan. You can never say never in the NFL, but it would be stunning were Brown to get another chance after his past year off the field. 

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

Mar 26, 2020, 7:04 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#112 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:25 pm

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports free agent J.J. Watt has received "several offers," with the best checking in "between $15-$16 million per year." 

Watt has been linked to at least half a dozen teams, so it is not a surprise the 31-year-old is drawing a robust market after returning to 16-game health in 2020. We have been short on concrete rumors for the past 7-10 days, but it is still quite possible Watt has a new home before February is through on Sunday. 

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Feb 25, 2021, 1:34 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#113 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 7, 2021 12:23 am

Patriots WR N'Keal Harry has requested a trade.

The request came through a post from Harry's agent, who added that he wants to see the deal done before the start of training camp. Harry has been an unmitigated bust since being taken with the No. 32 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. Injuries have played a role in his performance but Harry has also struggled when on the field. He posted 309 yards at a clip of 5.4 yards per target while playing in 14 games last year. Harry was an impressive prospect coming out of Arizona State but his career is already on the ropes after just two years. If a team does want to trade for Harry, they aren't likely to offer more than a Day 3 pick. Harry was already reported to be on the roster bubble this summer. A more pass-friendly offense may help Harry exceed expectations in his third season but he can be left off fantasy rosters until he finds a new home. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#114 » by HMFFL » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:20 pm

Patriots released CB Stephon Gilmore.

The move comes as a major surprise. 2021 was the final year Gilmore's five-year deal with the Patriots, and the 2019 defensive player of the year spent the offseason attempting to renegotiate his deal. The cap strapped Patriots will save almost $6 million by releasing him instead. Gilmore injured his quad in Week 15 of the 2020 season and is still recovering from that injury. He was eligible to return from the PUP list after Week 6. Gilmore, 31, is certain to generate significant interest on the free agent market. It's obviously not lost on Gilmore that the defending Super Bowl champions have a glaring need at cornerback after suffering multiple injuries there, and just so happen to be quarterbacked by Tom Brady.

... See More

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 6, 2021, 8:16 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#115 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Free Agent WR Odell Beckham is likely to sign with the Chiefs, Packers or Saints.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports that Beckham is "honing in" on the three teams and could make his final decision Wednesday. From a fantasy perspective, there is a significant tier break between the Chiefs and Packers down to the Saints. The differences in quarterback play and Super Bowl odds and are not lost on Beckham, but the Saints were reportedly the only team that tried to trade for the wide receiver. They may be the most motivated to land him.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 10:09 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#116 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:17 am

Thankful he's not part of our future plans.

Broncos agreed to terms with QB Jarrett Stidham, formerly of the Raiders, to a two-year, $10 million contract. 

The deal includes $5 million guaranteed. It's not the biggest backup quarterback contract we have ever seen, but it's a bit of an eyebrow raiser behind Russell Wilson. We have no doubt Sean Payton views Stidham as someone who will actually execute his system if Wilson continues to go rogue and/or continue to decline in 2023. Not to overstate the threat to Wilson. It's a calamity for the Raiders, who have now lost their "we struck out on a free agent or drafted quarterback" backup plan. 26-year-old Stidham showed a little juice in his 2022 Silver and Black cameo, but there is no reason to believe he is anything other than a backup. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 13, 2023, 1:10 PM ET

Return to Las Vegas Raiders